RON95 & RON97 Myths and Facts

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
My current experience with RON95 after switching from RON97 is some smoke smell when accelerate very hard. My mech said its normal ?

Car is Lancer with 4B11 N/A, anyone can clarify on this ?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hmm, dewa delima + S. Aishah + Justdoit + JimmyBoo + duriansis ....aiyoyo yeenaday, you think we so dumb kah ? now tambah Audrey Veness lol ..look below..
Yaya, this is due to their misconceptions of RON97 with higher price will have better quality. Actually, most of the cars in Malaysia are fitted with carburettor or the latest Campro CPS engines, these types of car can run on RON95. While RON97 is more suitable for imported car like Nissan, BMW and Audi.
At least get your fact correct before you post loh. In Malaysia car mostly fitted with carburetor and Campro.....hhahhahahhahahahahhahahhahahaha and Nissan is Imported.......:rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Personally...I most like petronas mesra card bcz its reward points is more than other fuel companies.
1 litre of fuel = 3 points
Why don't grab the opportunity to earn triple reward points by pumping fuel at Petronas station?
Ok

This is blatant advertising and crap by Petronas cronies.

THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING.

I will ban and delete all your crap if you continue with this trolling and stupid behavior. This is a forum for genuine discussion with genuine car enthusiasts. Not a marketing platform for companies to promote their product. If you want to do that go and talk to Tom Goh the owner of this forum and discuss how you can market on his forum the proper way.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Finally i get the chance to pump in Petron into my Honda EX5 after being force to pump in Petronas all the time due to choice constraint along my usual route.

Honestly i dont feel any difference when riding it. The major difference my bike is a lot easier to start in the morning.was surprised it started after one kick this morning.

Initial fc looks better than Petronas.Daily riders are gifted with the ability to gauge fc by looking and the fuel gauge and recalling the distance travelled which is >90% of the time the same distance and route.

Jul 24, 2018
Lol, I don't think so. For me, petronas primax is quite good on engine power. My car performance has been consistent after using primax 97.
I'm sorry but I have to say, other brand's performance totally better than petronas...most of my friends also say like that

Jul 24, 2018
As I know, RON97 are used for cars with higher performance engines but RON95 are suitable to all car.So, I don't get it, why everyone like 97 more than 95? Just because of the mindset "the higher price, the better product"?
Malaysian's mindset,unable to change it,that's why so many ppl prefer to use branded/expensive things even the car fuel.

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Finally i get the chance to pump in Petron into my Honda EX5 after being force to pump in Petronas all the time due to choice constraint along my usual route.

Honestly i dont feel any difference when riding it. The major difference my bike is a lot easier to start in the morning.was surprised it started after one kick this morning.

Initial fc looks better than Petronas.Daily riders are gifted with the ability to gauge fc by looking and the fuel gauge and recalling the distance travelled which is >90% of the time the same distance and route.
Kinda reminded me of a case i encountered too. Bikes really seem to be sensitive to fuel especially older tech small cc carburetted bikes. My own KTN 200 at one point of time suffered from bogging at lower engine speeds, occasional misfire at higher load/rpm, had no idea what was causing it, until my next refuel and the problem all went away. The 'problem' fuel was Shell and I solved it by pumping BHP. Not too sure if it was a bad batch or not but likely, though I don't usually pump Shell, that time pumped Shell because it was convenient and I was low on fuel. I usually pump BHP though.

Jul 24, 2018
Yaya, this is due to their misconceptions of RON97 with higher price will have better quality. Actually, most of the cars in Malaysia are fitted with carburettor or the latest Campro CPS engines, these types of car can run on RON95. While RON97 is more suitable for imported car like Nissan, BMW and Audi.
Yes, actually ron95 is enuf for our car, my Camry also use ron95.

Jul 25, 2018
The quality of petronas fuel is quite fine.
I mostly filled my Almera car with primax 97...I felt that my car become more power. It also helps in saving fuels and providing more mileage.
haha HIGH FIVE!!!But I think Petron's fuel also not bad,I will go there if I can't find petronas around my area.

Jul 26, 2018
I'm sorry but I have to say, other brand's performance totally better than petronas...most of my friends also say like that
Why u x like this company? I thought it is okay because existed in our country for a long time.
anyway, I have no idea about this:laugh:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Walao why suddenly got so many chicks interested in the topic of petrol? So after trolling for Petronas, then the same trolls go approach Petron?

I *believe* Caltex is superior, because it import fuels from Singapore.
The other petrol that's imported from Singapore is BHP.
https://www.beritadaily.com/business-decision-to-terminate-retailers-says-caltex/
http://www.motortrader.com.my/news/...e-at-bhpetrol-stations-from-september-1-2015/

Malaysia is on Euro 4M standard for RON 97, and Euro 3 for RON 95... Singapore just made Euro 6 emission standards compulsory. The refiners in Malaysia, namely Shell, Petron and Petronas, is refining Euro 3 and Euro 4M.

Besides that, Caltex's Techron technology works, developed by Chevron. So that's another bonus.

I am using Petronas RON 97 because its Euro 4M standard for the low sulphur content, and the ONLY reason I am using Petronas is because I get it at a discount. When October 2018 comes and RON 95 is Euro 4M standard, I'll switch to RON 95.

If I have to pay full price for petrol. My first choice is BHP and then Caltex.

I'll never use Shell. If I own a performance car then definitely the Petron Blaze RON100.

Reactions: alcyon

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
I have just started fuelling up Shell lately and it's been pretty good. Their 97 vs 95 I can tell the difference, my engine is def more responsive on 97. Where else other petrol brands, I can barely notice any differences. Oddly tho, my car performed worst when it's on BHP & Petronas.

Reactions: alcyon

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I have just started fuelling up Shell lately and it's been pretty good. Their 97 vs 95 I can tell the difference, my engine is def more responsive on 97. Where else other petrol brands, I can barely notice any differences. Oddly tho, my car performed worst when it's on BHP & Petronas.
What car you driving boss?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dude... you seriously have problems if that is the case.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Kinda reminded me of a case i encountered too. Bikes really seem to be sensitive to fuel especially older tech small cc carburetted bikes. My own KTN 200 at one point of time suffered from bogging at lower engine speeds, occasional misfire at higher load/rpm, had no idea what was causing it, until my next refuel and the problem all went away. The 'problem' fuel was Shell and I solved it by pumping BHP. Not too sure if it was a bad batch or not but likely, though I don't usually pump Shell, that time pumped Shell because it was convenient and I was low on fuel. I usually pump BHP though.

its highly depend on engine..probably due to low engine compression....

between shell and petronas fuel....

petronas suited to low compression engine...

shell more cater to high compression engine...

on the bike is easy to see....my bike which is old and suffer with low compression (worn piston and such)... also cant take shell fuel..else will missfire and running rough...

its fine on petronas though

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After asking a few mechanics' opinion, I have found out the auto gearbox for my Wira a/b 1.6 is going to die soon. All have suggested replacing the gearbox. Now, I have switched gearbox 3 times already, and I'm tired of that. Furthermore, the car revs more than it moves, therefore consuming a lot of petrol.

A friend's mechanic said he can replace my gearbox with a manual one at RM1700. This includes a 4G93 1.8 gearbox, gear console, pedals, flywheel, clutchplate, starter and all other...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience