RON95 & RON97 Myths and Facts

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
for classic car owners with mechanical ignition remember RON s not Octane, octane is several points lower, on my fiat coupe which needed full lead 99 octane when new in 1966, i make do with ron 97 (roughly 95 octane) and run a little retarded at static timing. I set it up for 97 becuase thats widely available. The only blown head gasket I've ever had on my fiat was due to bad fuel picked up at a highway station causing pinging when I had the car at factory settings, i was lucky not to bend a rod, it blew the number 4 fire ring View attachment 571734 at 7500rpm-----after that I set it retarded slightly.
Wow, super scary, the car i had with pinging was my carb operated 12V saga. I had to manually retard timing just enough to minimise ping on a hot day, and I also installed a low temp thermostat to keep the combustion temps low.
I did not blow a HG but then again I never revved my engine to more than 6K, that also occasionally too.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I pump Petron only coz got the best point reward to exchange for free fuel. So I don't care what other petrol brand marketing say. :lol: If PETRONAS or others can give better loyalty point rewards then I will switch, no need to talk about quality etc2. coz no significant difference IMHO.
Yup, same. The smiles point no expiry and 3000 points gets RM45 fuel......lol

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wow, super scary, the car i had with pinging was my carb operated 12V saga. I had to manually retard timing just enough to minimise ping on a hot day, and I also installed a low temp thermostat to keep the combustion temps low.
I did not blow a HG but then again I never revved my engine to more than 6K, that also occasionally too.
My previous Carb car, if fuel not good, when shut down, the engine shudder to a stop.......lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yup, same. The smiles point no expiry and 3000 points gets RM45 fuel......lol
Actually the Petronas Mesra card is pretty good too for points collection. Recently they had a lot of contests to win free petrol and stuff.... but I haven't won anything. My friend has won RM300 worth of Petrol already.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
if there are any petrol company provide cheaper fuel i will go. be it ron 92 and above

Jul 25, 2018
I pump Petron only coz got the best point reward to exchange for free fuel. So I don't care what other petrol brand marketing say. :lol: If PETRONAS or others can give better loyalty point rewards then I will switch, no need to talk about quality etc2. coz no significant difference IMHO.
I also apply petron mile card but I don't like petron's ron97,I only pumped diesel at PETRON
I prefer petronas and shell's 97
if you try the other 2 petrol brand you will totally feel the difference

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
I also apply petron mile card but I don't like petron's ron97,I only pumped diesel at PETRON
Hmm, dewa delima + S. Aishah + Justdoit + JimmyBoo + duriansis ....aiyoyo yeenaday, you think we so dumb kah ? now tambah Audrey Veness lol ..look below..

Last edited:
Reactions: vr2turbo
Jul 25, 2018
Actually the Petronas Mesra card is pretty good too for points collection. Recently they had a lot of contests to win free petrol and stuff.... but I haven't won anything. My friend has won RM300 worth of Petrol already.
I don't believe in this type of contest, sometimes they just prepared a few prizes to contestants, it's unfair and keep fooling the people. But I would like to say that Petronas's fuel not bad, I always go there to pump ron97 for my vios

Jul 25, 2018
As I know, RON97 are used for cars with higher performance engines but RON95 are suitable to all car.So, I don't get it, why everyone like 97 more than 95? Just because of the mindset "the higher price, the better product"?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Naah, I have tried them all and cannot feel much difference! That's why I said, until there's real test to proof one is better than the others, all claims are just hollow talk.

As I know, RON97 are used for cars with higher performance engines but RON95 are suitable to all car.So, I don't get it, why everyone like 97 more than 95? Just because of the mindset "the higher price, the better product"?
Yup, if high performance engines specifically tuned for high ron fuels then only can benefit, otherwise it's just psychological placebo effect! :lol: Anyway it's their money, so let them waste it as their wish. Even for my Mark X and Swift Sport which are supposedly very high compression engines that people say must pump 97 or even 98, I just pump 95 and still running fine. :lol:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Is not about the price but the fuel quality. It is not true about RON97 is for cars with high performance engines and even further from truth if you think that RON95 is suitable for all cars. Do you know that the older ZC31S Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 requires RON97 to run on its M16A engine? Although the M16A is a performance engine, it can hardly be called as a high performance engine like you mentioned.

If you ask why everyone like 97 more than 95, ask yourself this, why do people spend hundreds in buying water filtering devices at home and drink filtered water? I'm sure that drinking pipe water is safe and won't kill you. Think again.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
all these promo on Petronas 97 gives me hope of pumping it in my 1.8 tank and magically makes it running again....hahahha