7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
wonder how co-drive in rally car with rough terrain cope with that :p

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Agree! And finally LWW comes out to play! Where you've been man?

Speaking of springs that come with coilovers, for some reason AR Racing/BC Racing both give 5k front and 5k rear springs for the Sylphy. But to be fair the coilovers were meant for the Nissan Tilda aka Latio. So perhaps the 5k + 5k combi is meant for the lighter Nissan.

I'm currently on coilovers and I opted to forgo the ridiculous 5k+5k combi and go for 8k front 6k rear on my heavy Sylphy. The springs are preloaded just right to be neutral when compressed (I don't know how to explain this better, I know that wasn't the right terminology) and right now the rear is perfect with just 9 clicks of the damper (max 30) for comfort. It's in fact comparable with stock. The front however, it's a little more of a problem. 8k with the current pre-load is making it very fast to respond so whenever I go over speed bumps (slowly) I can feel the front reacting much faster than the rear, so much so if I were go to a tad bit faster the front would give me a bone jarring thud.

Front dampers set to 10 clicks btw. Any softer than 9/10 clicks then you'll get rebound from the spring when going over speed bumps and undulations which is seriously irritating. I suspect the springs are too hard for the car (I'm not looking to go racing with them) so I'm going to first play with the pre-load again, compress the springs a little more and see how that goes. That was my installers suggestion anyway. Personally I think increasing the pre-load will make it even more jarring but my installer is insisting to try first. So I will. Before lastly resorting to changing to 6k springs.

Speaking of which - why aren't there any 7k springs ah?
Thanks Iszo! Lurking around I guess, there's a lot of things I don't really know/haven't experienced so I just take in more than put out haha.

There are 7kg/mm springs! But I don't know if they have them locally.

I'm having the same problem as you now where my springs rebound faster than my shocks. Gotta save up for revalving haha.

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:11 AM ----------

Thanks for the explanation and feedbacks on BC. Very informative.

Just a quick one, when you say the BC V1 are nice for daily use, does it mean that it cannot perform as well as the BR? Or lets say the adjustability is not as good as BC? So can you take the V1 to track (although i wont go often) or touge?

Izso. Does that mean for my car size and weight, i should not go for 6kg/4kg? Go for something higher like your 8kg/6kg? Coz my car is definitely heavier than the Slyphy. Thanks bud.....
Hey no worries man, I try my best haha. The thing about suspension, besides the theory it's hard to explain by words on how a car feels. The best is always a drive. In theory, yes, it doesn't perform as good as the BR. If you go around on the internet looking for BC V1 suspension dynos, you can see at lower clicks the frequency is pretty large and it doesn't settle quickly, whereas when it's overly stiffened, it doesn't absorb much at all.

For me, I personally feel that my V1's absorb bumps too little, and they rebound back too slow. An example would be those retarded tar patches that appear on roads randomly; instead of soaking up the initial hit, my car rides over the bump instead of compressing and soaking up the bump, then comes back down, compresses, rebounds, then settles. By right it should absorb the bumps then settle the moment my wheel gets back on smooth roads... Over mild waviness on the road the car feels fine, a bit fidgety, but there's grip always. Throw in large bumps like in ulu-yam's downhill section and that's where I back off haha.

Then again i'm running the wrong spring rates which are even shorter than what they're supposed to be on initially. I have to get them revalved to match, but i'm out of money for now. :bawling:

For mild track usage and touge I don't think it'll be a problem at all. If you're driving for fun, it's a good entry level coilover. It's just not.... as competitive in comparison to better designed suspension. You can take any suspension to track, even your oem stuff! Just go get a more aggressive alignment and head to the track. It's always better to push your car on track stock > a heavily modified car because you'll hit the limits sooner. Once you go past the limit it's also more linear... You can head over to Acanta Autotech in sungai besi or Fawster Motorsport in sunway for an alignment and/or advice for your handling needs. Or maybe we can even have a handling yamcha someday. It's very rare to find people who enjoy talking about handling instead of power all the time. :driver:

Just a word of advice, the low-end Tein stuff is pretty nasty, that's one thing that's not cheap and not the best around either. :burnout:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For mild track usage and touge I don't think it'll be a problem at all. If you're driving for fun, it's a good entry level coilover. It's just not.... as competitive in comparison to better designed suspension. You can take any suspension to track, even your oem stuff! Just go get a more aggressive alignment and head to the track. It's always better to push your car on track stock > a heavily modified car because you'll hit the limits sooner. Once you go past the limit it's also more linear... You can head over to Acanta Autotech in sungai besi or Fawster Motorsport in sunway for an alignment and/or advice for your handling needs. Or maybe we can even have a handling yamcha someday. It's very rare to find people who enjoy talking about handling instead of power all the time. :driver:

Just a word of advice, the low-end Tein stuff is pretty nasty, that's one thing that's not cheap and not the best around either. :burnout:
No wonder why my friend after some time in his scooby on track, now using R3 says it is fun too. Different style and attack lines......:driver:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hey no worries man, I try my best haha. The thing about suspension, besides the theory it's hard to explain by words on how a car feels. The best is always a drive. In theory, yes, it doesn't perform as good as the BR. If you go around on the internet looking for BC V1 suspension dynos, you can see at lower clicks the frequency is pretty large and it doesn't settle quickly, whereas when it's overly stiffened, it doesn't absorb much at all.

For me, I personally feel that my V1's absorb bumps too little, and they rebound back too slow. An example would be those retarded tar patches that appear on roads randomly; instead of soaking up the initial hit, my car rides over the bump instead of compressing and soaking up the bump, then comes back down, compresses, rebounds, then settles. By right it should absorb the bumps then settle the moment my wheel gets back on smooth roads... Over mild waviness on the road the car feels fine, a bit fidgety, but there's grip always. Throw in large bumps like in ulu-yam's downhill section and that's where I back off haha.

Then again i'm running the wrong spring rates which are even shorter than what they're supposed to be on initially. I have to get them revalved to match, but i'm out of money for now. :bawling:

Yooo.....Thats a good feedback/opinions/review. Thanks dude.

You are not using the original springs provided with the BC V1? Would you say the feedback/performance would be different if you were using the original springs that comes with the BC V1??

Handling TT?? Sounds good. Shall we set a date?? Hahahahahhaha. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yooo.....Thats a good feedback/opinions/review. Thanks dude.

You are not using the original springs provided with the BC V1? Would you say the feedback/performance would be different if you were using the original springs that comes with the BC V1??

Handling TT?? Sounds good. Shall we set a date?? Hahahahahhaha. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Unless you wanna try and see 1st, cheapest option is HWL.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Unless you wanna try and see 1st, cheapest option is HWL. TitanRev use that in his saga before changing to Ftuned. But i think is only HLSH. Not sure.
Not sure if he can easily find the suspension he wants, remember his is a PUG.....:driver:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i'm among the guy who says handling first! power next :driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
KNN you all. POWER first. Then handling. Otherwise have to redo handling if power is too much. :biggrin:

:thefinger:

Initial D got one episode where Takumi challenge the God of Hand in the S2000. The S2000 fella vomit also mah......Hahahahhahaha....
God-of-hand vomited because it was a hot night and he's old and all. The race dragged on too long and he couldn't take it hence the vomit. Otherwise Takumi would have lost! Different thing!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Just a note guys, time will degrade or soften the springs and suspension. Like my friends Chaser, he's using a halfcut bought Tein HLSH 12k front 8k rear with 16 clicks to the softest setting. Right now even though softest setting, it feels similar with mine. Quite comfortable for the Chaser to be honest. And at the same time there's hardly any squatting when he's boosting.

So different cars will react differently to different brands. Personally I think AR Racing / BC / Improve Hyperflex, etc are 'entry level' coilovers and aren't the final say in suspension. Given the choice I'd go for a bench tested brand like Eibach, Bilstein, Ohlins, etc because they are on a different league altogether.

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Just a note guys, time will degrade or soften the springs and suspension. Like my friends Chaser, he's using a halfcut bought Tein HLSH 12k front 8k rear with 16 clicks to the softest setting. Right now even though softest setting, it feels similar with mine. Quite comfortable for the Chaser to be honest. And at the same time there's hardly any squatting when he's boosting.

So different cars will react differently to different brands. Personally I think AR Racing / BC / Improve Hyperflex, etc are 'entry level' coilovers and aren't the final say in suspension. Given the choice I'd go for a bench tested brand like Eibach, Bilstein, Ohlins, etc because they are on a different league altogether.
Sadly the really high end brands dont make stuff for proton. Though, there might be the rojak option.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

I also want to get those brands if possible. But right now, there is no coilovers (HLHS) offer by those brands for my car. Not even for the 308. The only on i have not is BC V1. But will keep researching la.....

And adding on, i do power first then only handling.......:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

4.3 secs / 340ps / 500nm / 3L straight 6 twin scroll single turbo / 8 speed /automatic / RM568K.

Engine
Power is a major highlight of the GR Supra. Default 340ps figure is very decent by most standards, but it feels more than that in reality. It’s not just about the phenomenal acceleration either, but the delivery part of it.

It feels meaty, lag-less, linear, never ending and uncanny at supplying that 500nm worth of torque through the rear tyres, right on...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience