[WTA]the recommended engine oil for 4age20v

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
i've tested shell helix semi syn,mobil semi syn and Q8 semi syn,of all that i prefer the Q8 coz the engine feels lighter and more responsive...:burnout:
and regarding the vvt pulley,not necessary will increase ur fuel consumption,depends how u tune it,i chge both my pulley to adjustable and the car now save more fuel:proud:
juz my 20 baht,dun shoot if wrong...

hmm..sounds very familiar.. u changed in kepong izit? if tat's the one in my mind, i was there when it was being done and your engine is really quiet. but your exhaust manyak bising lar..hahah. the power band is amazing, no need to wait for 5000k for the rpm surge, but it is more linear throughout the powerband. when wanna plonk in two new 288 or 304 cams?

IMO, VVT has nothing to do with saving more fuel. Its about power. When VVT turns ON, FC will increase. So if you disabled VVT, you will save more fuel... but lack of power lah.
So when installing adjustable intake cam pulley, some users have good FC (good tuning) and some with bad FC (bad tuning). Also, you'll need to find the right tuner to tune the adj cam pulley as most will only set it for better low-end or high-end. You can't have both worlds with adj cam pulley, which is why Toyota implemented VVT for 20V to adjust intake cam timing on-the-fly to give you the best of both worlds.... of coz, Toyota forgot to eliminate the VVT sound when the engine is idling. Perhaps, we can make a switch to turn on VVT during idling as this will eliminate the diesel sound... but idling will be rough or causing engine to stall.

Also, how many of you guys here using adjustable cam pulley (intake/exhaust) on stock camshaft?

hmm..sounds very familiar.. u changed in kepong izit? if tat's the one in my mind, i was there when it was being done and your engine is really quiet. but your exhaust manyak bising lar..hahah. the power band is amazing, no need to wait for 5000k for the rpm surge, but it is more linear throughout the powerband. when wanna plonk in two new 288 or 304 cams?
bro banzai,i think u got the wrong guy lah,my car was done at balakong and kajang area only...:biggrin:
never went to kepong b4 leh...:hmmmm:

Last edited:
IMO, VVT has nothing to do with saving more fuel. Its about power. When VVT turns ON, FC will increase. So if you disabled VVT, you will save more fuel... but lack of power lah.
So when installing adjustable intake cam pulley, some users have good FC (good tuning) and some with bad FC (bad tuning). Also, you'll need to find the right tuner to tune the adj cam pulley as most will only set it for better low-end or high-end. You can't have both worlds with adj cam pulley, which is why Toyota implemented VVT for 20V to adjust intake cam timing on-the-fly to give you the best of both worlds.... of coz, Toyota forgot to eliminate the VVT sound when the engine is idling. Perhaps, we can make a switch to turn on VVT during idling as this will eliminate the diesel sound... but idling will be rough or causing engine to stall.

Also, how many of you guys here using adjustable cam pulley (intake/exhaust) on stock camshaft?

i think vvt can save more fuel..
it is due it will adjust the duration of valve overlap..
for low speed, the valve overlap should be lower than during high speed..
so, more power + save fual..
just my opinion
but i think it is better if this engine use electronic ignition control compare using distributor like vios engine
sure can reduce misfiring and the ignition timing can vary to advance when high rpm

bro pcmoddingmy,i'm running adjustable cam pulley on stock cams....y ask?

Bro muzhaffar, are you sure VVT on 20V is designed to save fuel??? If so, why does it only activates at 4000rpm on earlier models of 20V silvertop??? Driving at above 4000rpm is no way gonna save fuel dude. VVT is all about optimizing power at both low-end and high-end.

Bro howard, so do you feel better driving with adj cam pulley vs stock cam pulley with VVT? Do you often high-rev before or after the adj cam pulleys? I'm sure you engine is very quiet now, right? Coz my dad is complaining that 20V is sounding too loud... he tot it was the a/c condenser kong. But I did notice that the engine was quieter when I added Abbo's Stop Smoke additive to the engine, but only for a few days lah... :smokin:

Bro howard, so do you feel better driving with adj cam pulley vs stock cam pulley with VVT? Do you often high-rev before or after the adj cam pulleys? I'm sure you engine is very quiet now, right? Coz my dad is complaining that 20V is sounding too loud... he tot it was the a/c condenser kong. But I did notice that the engine was quieter when I added Abbo's Stop Smoke additive to the engine, but only for a few days lah... :smokin:
bro pcmoddingmy,after installing the adj cam pulley,the car is more responsive on the low and mid range rpm,coz i tune it for more torque but i really can't give u the right info coz i'm also running on 7A block,but the engine now is more quiet lah....:proud:

bro pcmoddingmy,after installing the adj cam pulley,the car is more responsive on the low and mid range rpm,coz i tune it for more torque but i really can't give u the right info coz i'm also running on 7A block,but the engine now is more quiet lah....:proud:
I see... so I assume you are using Toda adj cam pulley, right? How much did it cost you including installation and setting? Also, which shop did the installation?

er...1 is from arospeed...the vvt wan i ask my fren to do for me,is a replica of toda adj vvt cam pulley,i did it at my fren workshop at balakong...:rofl:

you milling the toda replica or do a mold?
good as original toda?

Bump: you milling the toda replica or do a mold?
good as original toda?

you milling the toda replica or do a mold?
good as original toda?
yup,i ask my fren to mill for me,i've been using the campulley for more than 1/2 years oredi,so far no problem lah...:biggrin:

then give me the dimension so I can make for me too :biggrin:

Bump: then give me the dimension so I can make for me too :biggrin:

er...how to giv the dimension leh..?:confused:
bcoz i actually borrow from my fren ori toda campulley and my other fren did the milling for me wan,so i dun hv the dimension lah...but i think there r other brand vvt cam pulley for sale and it's quite cheap too...:biggrin:

Yeah... I heard Redline and Aerospeed also got intake cam pulley for 20V too. Saw it at MotorTrader I think...

Last edited:
arospeed i'm not sure got o not but i know redline got the vvt campulley,and it's around 300 bucks only...if not mistaken lah...:rolleyes:

is it ok if my bt using shell 20w/50 for daily use?can anyone give the opinion on 20w/50.:hmmmm:
and..what's the most recommended from u all about lubrication 10w/40? or 15w/40 or 20w/50 or 5w/30 or etc.:confused:
sorry im dummies here:rolleyes::banghead:

Bump: is it ok if my bt using shell 20w/50 for daily use?can anyone give the opinion on 20w/50.:hmmmm:
and..what's the most recommended from u all about lubrication 10w/40? or 15w/40 or 20w/50 or 5w/30 or etc.:confused:
sorry im dummies here:rolleyes::banghead:

Top Bottom