turbosmart manual boost controller

kiwak

anyone used the item above?? anyone with experience using it..can let me know some details like if it holds boost good,boost creeep,boost spike..thanks..

i happen to use the basic turbosmart BC only....
it really does eliminate boost creep (wastegate will only start to open at desired level, thus improving spool up time)....
it also reduces boost spike and holds the boost stable at all rpm ranges...
before i use it, my boost spike will go up to 1.3bar, then goes back to 1bar....
then at 1bar, the boost is not stable...sometime 0.9-1.1bar...(my boost is set at 1bar)
now im riding 1.1bar, my max spike should be around 1.19bar and stays 1.1bar all the way

im one of its satisfied customer.....

Last edited:
but turbosmart boost tee easy to leak...not good for big turbo cars...maybe L2 and etc smaller cc and turbo can use that//

monsterv6 said:
but turbosmart boost tee easy to leak...not good for big turbo cars...maybe L2 and etc smaller cc and turbo can use that//

ok,wat abt the mbc im toking abt?any experience on it??looking to boost at least 2 1.5bar...

no comments on that item lor..havent use it before...but i guess u better go for some electronics boost controller...hear the new HKS evc i think..is good very stable...more stable then apexi AVCR

monsterv6 said:
no comments on that item lor..havent use it before...but i guess u better go for some electronics boost controller...hear the new HKS evc i think..is good very stable...more stable then apexi AVCR
\

ive got the profec b spec 2 oready actually,but hv prob holding the boost,than very lazy to fine tune the boost,so tot of using the mbc,easier to operate n heard quiet good reviews from the us side,nw wanna find out from smwhere nearer to home... :o)

Boss(u know hu u r) any comment??

monsterv6 said:

have you used it before and what car have you used it on? So far I've never experienced any turbosmart leaking even on a rb25.

monsterv6 said:

so ur saying that a 1.5bar boost signal on a big engine that goes thru the Turbosmart Manual Boost controller is different than 1.5bar boost signal on a smaller engine??? engine size does not make any different, the pressure does.. if u say leak will happen at hi boost (above 2.5bar) sounds logic la...
furthermore, Turbosmart is not solely design for Japanese Kcar's...its an Autralian product for those big monsters like a subby's, evo's, rota's etc... so how can u say Turbosmart doesnt support big cc engine??

kiwak said:
\

ive got the profec b spec 2 oready actually,but hv prob holding the boost,than very lazy to fine tune the boost,so tot of using the mbc,easier to operate n heard quiet good reviews from the us side,nw wanna find out from smwhere nearer to home... :o)

Boss(u know hu u r) any comment??

bro, where do u take ur boost signal that u feed to ur profec B solenoid?? perhaps u should try to take the boost signal from ur throttle body, not directly from ur turbine...cos pressure inside TB is much more stable than pressure near the turbine and also considering the pressure drop caused by ur i/c some more.... but if u already have done so, maybe ur solenoid/actuator/wastegate is not working properly...
anyway, if u decide to get ur self a turbosmart, dont worry...its a good product....some say GoFastBits is also good, but i have never coem accross anyone using it, so, no comment...

Maual Boost controller do not fix nor rectify boost creep and spike problems. On the contrary, MBC are one of the main reason such problems crop up in the first place.

Neither does MBC's improve intial spooling

Last edited:
maybe u should checkout Turbosmart website and read their article on how their manual BC works...they use pressure released valve to delay the pressure signal from entering the wastegate, which inturn spools up the turbo faster, resulting in more boost at lower RPM...
u might want to Google more on those articles that explains how the pressure released valve can help in controlling the boost level,boost creep, and bost spike......

Stroker,

I think your understanding of MBCs is somewhat skewed.

Fundamentally, boost controllers "CHEAT'" the wastegate actuators into thinking the boost has not reach its threshold.

So it allows engines to boost higher.

For an example a 0.7 bar actuator will not allow boost to build above 0.7 bar.

When an MBC is introduce into the system, the MBC bleeds or blocks the boost signal, thus allowing exhuast gas to continously spool the turbine despite the fact actual boost pressure has risen beyond than 0.7

I fail to see how MBCs help to improve spool up.

Lets take an example, A Wira GSR 1.8L with a T88. Can you please explain how it will help the 1.8 liter to spool up the turbine faster with an MBC?

Please enlighten.

As mentioned before, MBC's fundamental role is to boost higher.

Therefore, I think boost spikes and creeps are in some cases augmented by some MBCs.

However, Boost spikes and creep problem are also known to have been caused by ignition timing and A/F ratio.

Therefore, I think to say MBC being the solution to such problems is saying that one can put out a fire with Kerosene.

how Turbosmart BC improves spool up time-->
pls be reminded, im talking about Turbosmart BC, not just any other BC...

example 1: a car runs at 1bar...somewhere at 0.2-0.3bar, the actuator will start to open slightly since the signal are sent directly to it...clearly, the gas is being leak thru the wastegate.... the opening will become bigger n bigger until it reaches 1bar....

example 2: the same car, but with Turbosmart BC....since the BC stops any signal below 1bar to reach the actuator, the actuator will stay shut at all cause, thus no leakage... instead, the gas which are bieng leak in the first example will be use to act upon the fin...more force on the fin, means the fin wil reach its full inertia faster, thus reaching full boost faster....in other words, improve spooling time...

i cant really explain it, but it really does help to reduced my spike problem... last time, my boost spiked up to 1.3bar(im riding 1bar)...but now, my spike can only reach 1.18bar max (i use my SAFC to monitor)...to me, i still considered it as improvement...

Last edited:
Stroker,

Yes! you are right about the actuator starting to open before the threshold.

But with a MBC or even an EBC, the actuator will still open before the threshold.

What the BC does is delay the inevitable.

Lets take the case of the GSR wit T88 again (which will have loads of lag)

if I were to hook up the MBC, I'm actually delaying the acutator and boosting higher.

But still I won't be able to spool faster and overcome lagginess from the T88.

PS : Your defincation of "imrpoving spool up time" does mean the ability to reach full boost faster and with minimum lag rite? I hope we're standing on same ground here.

Last edited:
OPPSSSS....I accidentally clicked edit and edited your post instead of clicking quote.

So sorry Stroker, can you post your earlier reply again.

So very sorry

Joeker said:
PS : Your defincation of "imrpoving spool up time" does mean the ability to reach full boost faster and with minimum lag rite? I hope we're standing on same ground here.....

its ok.. at least u read it ... and ur right...when i say improving spool up time, it means u reach full boost faster (but these two statement has the exact same meaning, dont u think??)... but still, i have to emphasize on the delaying of boost signal to ur actuator... any boost controller will eventually fool the actuator by bleeding the signal.. how the BC manage to do this depends on what type of BC ur using... if u use those cheap bleed method(tulang ikan), boost creep will be even worst...although in the end, it does help to increase the boost by delaying/bleeding the signal, no doubt...

but were talking about Turbosmart BC that uses the pressure release valve mechanism...which are totally has a different approached of bleeding the signal..

Last edited:
unmodified stock solenoid...say 0.5 bar causes actuator to open wastegate 1mm, 0.6 bar opens 2mm, 0.7 bar opens 3mm, max 0.8 bar opens 4mm, hence the boost is creeping and opening wastegate before reaching max boost....anymore boost and max pressure signal is release to the actuator causing to open more and maintain back 0.8 bar...something like dat...

normal MBC...normally used to slow the pressure signal to actuator by allowing the pressure signal to actuator to bleed off...0.5 bar opens 0.5mm, 0.6 bar opens 1mm, 0.7 bar opens 1.5mm...to a point say desired max 1 bar opens 3mm...from this point onwards, the MBC has been set to bleed only that much off, the rest of the pressure is sent to the actuator and the wastegates opens to maintain 1 bar...something like dat...

Turbosmart gated ball MBC...does not slow the pressure feed to the actuator...it stops it or totally delays it until desired max boost is reached, in the which this max boost pressure opens the gated ball valve to release pressure signal to the actuator. means no pressure signal to actuator until max boost achieved...or wastegate only opens upon max boost.

what happens is...0.5 bar - wastegate does not open at all, 0.6 not open,...0.9 does not open (no boost creep), at desired 1.0 bar wastegate opens max to maintain at 1 bar...since below max boost wastegate does not open at all, then turbine can spool faster. the gated valve is either not open, or open max...so that it reduces or eliminates boost spike when open max.

something like that...hope can understand my story above.

i myself am still on the stock controlling mechanism on my car. having tried Trust MBC...there is still same lag and more boost spike...so revert back to stock first and now considering the Turbosmart Boost-Tee MBC...

Andy,

Your description gives a clearer pictur.

So it means if you are running stock boost, ie. 0.7~0.8 bar, the Turbosmart MBC helps to delay valve opening right till the eleventh hour. Inevitably helps so-call "improve spool up time" in a way.

the turbosmart MBC is something that I wanted to try personally when I was still running my previous setup but never got a chance. There is supposed to be a 300-500 rpm faster spool compared to the tulang ikan that I had. Anyone who tried it actually experience 300-500rpm faster spool? (ie boost kicks in at 300-500rpm sooner).

Top Bottom