Transplanted engine vs Speedometer

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
morning, just visited the workshop and clarified that only one valve spring is broken and the tappets are all fine. the earlier confusion was caused by some loose valve screw/nuts, something that he can't explain to me properly but its all good since i won't have the replace any tappets :smile: i still dono how did one of the spark plugs bend :confused: ah that's just the rocker cover? sorry im still not too familiar with the terms yet, thanks though :proud:

:hmmmm: i have no idea! i shouldn't have driven so spiritedly without knowing the engine's condition. learning a lesson now :stupid:

dial back the compression? how exactly should i do that? can any mechanic perform this or only real senseis??

whoops, my mechanic did not mentioned anything about the timing belt tensioner, yet. if related do i have to replace it?

thanks for the feedback all! have a great day ahead :tee:
If your mechanic didn't say anything about the timing belt tensioner, maybe just tell him to have a look at the timing belt, the pulleys and tensioner bearings. When was your last timing belt kit change?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
If your mechanic didn't say anything about the timing belt tensioner, maybe just tell him to have a look at the timing belt, the pulleys and tensioner bearings. When was your last timing belt kit change?
seconded, just to be safe.... should be an easy check unless there are covers in the way like the damned 6a12 :mad:

bout increasing compression.... one way is to use a thicker head gasket..... but every thing gona have to come off again....

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
ok sure, that will be good for prevention since the cover is already out, i have no idea when was the last belt kit was changed. what's the maintenance interval for this?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
seconded, just to be safe.... should be an easy check unless there are covers in the way like the damned 6a12 :mad:

bout increasing compression.... one way is to use a thicker head gasket..... but every thing gona have to come off again....
Nope, using a thicker head gasket is to decrease the compression, not increase. This is done if you want to BOT. To increase compression you got to skim the head....:driver:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ok sure, that will be good for prevention since the cover is already out, i have no idea when was the last belt kit was changed. what's the maintenance interval for this?
Normally belt maintenance 60 to 80k km or 5 years, but some cars manual will state more and some less

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Nope, using a thicker head gasket is to decrease the compression, not increase. This is done if you want to BOT. To increase compression you got to skim the head....:driver:
oops i tought he wana decrease comp :banghead:

**edit re read what i typed, type salah :adore: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
thanks for the explanation! i plan to stick with NA for now so decreasing the compression isn't an option :fisheye:

Normally belt maintenance 60 to 80k km or 5 years, but some cars manual will state more and some less
its unfortunate i do not have a manual for the engine's maintenance, gotta dig deeper into the web or engage more owners for tech infos

oops i tought he wana decrease comp :banghead:

**edit re read what i typed, type salah :adore: :banghead::banghead::banghead:
:tee: no worries! appreciate that you clarified, at least you know more than me and there i can get some pointers d :idea:

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Keeping it N/A, skim the head......hhahhahahhahah:rofl:
i'll probably consider that further down the road, gonna research more and understand what i might possibly get into first. for now, needa get the car outa workshop running smoothly again, save cash for coilovers and paint job, then only back into the engine bay again.. if all goes well :bebored:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i'll probably consider that further down the road, gonna research more and understand what i might possibly get into first. for now, needa get the car outa workshop running smoothly again, save cash for coilovers and paint job, then only back into the engine bay again.. if all goes well :bebored:
Yup, take is slowly, a step at a time.....:smokin:

drummydrew

Known Member
Dec 7, 2015
Petaling Jaya
just swung by the workshop to check on my car earlier, ala this time is a bleeding one. my mechanic removed the cylinder head to check on the valves, found out:

1. one inlet valve is broken
2. one inlet valve guide is broken
3. cylinder head water vents (unsure bout term) has chipped off so need to weld and sand

also shown to me are my piston heads, one of it particularly has bad dents on it caused by the valves but i forgot to snap a pix.. more problems uncovered! :banghead:

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
your car were running lean... revving at redline a lot without any tuning done?