RON95 or RON97??

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
RON95 petrol will launch soon and government will not subsidise RON97 anymore:smokin:, price will rise close to RM2. I pretty sure factory car can simply switch to RON95 but how bout our modified ride:driver:? Would you still opt for 97/98 or try out 95?? Please share the opinion

hornydrifter

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
KEY EL!
i'll stick to 97RON..if i got lotsa money..will buy barrels of 100RON fuel (Avgas) for daily usage...best..best!!:thefinger:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Tested wif my pomen last month for RON95 obtained at Petronas Precint 9, Putrajaya

method of testing
  1. Wait until petrol tank empty (based on fuel gauge) then do a full fillup
  2. Drive below boost until fuel gauge read empty again (the suffering :bawling: )
  3. With pomen driving the car, do a full accelerating run until redline...

dunno dis is the correct way or not to test....so far he sez no knocking whatsoever.... so I think I switch to RON 95 when its officially on sale.... need to save a lot since i regularly travel more than 100km per day

when my car settled down on RON95, only then I'll do some stage 1 mods only (full exhaust/intake mod and piggyback tuning)

Currently my kancil using stock standard Mira L5 4cyl turbo... except for the exhaust, i'm using slightly bigger exhaust (1.6" vs 1.4") after the flex aka nenas

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
My stock daily drive will obviously just use ron95, but my weekend ride will definately stick to ron97... since weekend car only no issue so much on cost. Even now fill up RM50 also 2-3 weekends (sometimes more) baru habis... unless trackday, but even that is once in a blue moon nowadays...

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Tested wif my pomen last month for RON95 obtained at Petronas Precint 9, Putrajaya

method of testing
  1. Wait until petrol tank empty (based on fuel gauge) then do a full fillup
  2. Drive below boost until fuel gauge read empty again (the suffering :bawling: )
  3. With pomen driving the car, do a full accelerating run until redline...

dunno dis is the correct way or not to test....so far he sez no knocking whatsoever.... so I think I switch to RON 95 when its officially on sale.... need to save a lot since i regularly travel more than 100km per day

when my car settled down on RON95, only then I'll do some stage 1 mods only (full exhaust/intake mod and piggyback tuning)

Currently my kancil using stock standard Mira L5 4cyl turbo... except for the exhaust, i'm using slightly bigger exhaust (1.6" vs 1.4") after the flex aka nenas
Bro, your trial is interesting, so pretty sure engine is going to be okay, but power wise? any powerloss?

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
92 vs 97 sound fair enough
but 95 vs 97... i don think is fair ... because its too close to call... and I am doubt you can feel the actual difference i mean on machine or psychologically ...

havent really put the 95 on a knocking test yet... maybe its time to do the test again...

**full_throttle**

Jul 4, 2009
My stock daily drive will obviously just use ron95, but my weekend ride will definately stick to ron97... since weekend car only no issue so much on cost. Even now fill up RM50 also 2-3 weekends (sometimes more) baru habis... unless trackday, but even that is once in a blue moon nowadays...
I think i agree with minivan. Weekdays use ron95 and weekend use ron97. but my doubt here, is there any effect for the engine in long term if we keep changing using different type on RON ?

pakram

Known Member
May 11, 2009
In my opinions...ron97 & ron95 is not diff much in performance.. actually ron92 perform more better than ron97 in performance... but ron92 is not suitable to nowadays engine because of it engine's material factors...

lts not only about the compression ratios, knocking & etc.. Here what I concern is ron92 fuel's burning temp is hotter than ron97, ron92 is rough than ron97 (n-heptane ron92 higher than ron97 will produce more carbons than ron97). These fact isnt suitable for lights material (ex. aloi).. cant stand the heats & frictions.. its happen on other nowadays materials mixing also (rubbers, plastics, n etc..)

But, our topic is ron95 & ron97.. but the diff its molecule mixture which is RON octane numbers.... the basics is same like I said before for ron92... maybe the effectioness is lower than ron92 on our engines..

Conclusions, an example..eventhough your minimum engine's ron is ron95..your engine's life span will be decreased if u using a ron95 than you using a ron97..

So, think of it.. "sayangilah kereta anda"....:girl:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Bro, your trial is interesting, so pretty sure engine is going to be okay, but power wise? any powerloss?
so far no power loss la based on my all-so-accurate-butt-dyno :rofl:

seriously, if there a power loss it might be minuscule for me to notice

when RON95 available from ESSO/Mobil/Shell (still don't trust Petronas though), maybe I'll do a dyno comparison..... 1 for RON 97 then RON 95... if no power loss, then I'll use RON95 straight away

If got power loss, maybe I'll use some piggyback to tune back my afr/ignition to suit RON95...Greddy e-manage wif ignition harness comes to mind :idea:

The reason I have to courage to try my crude experiment because I've read one article of a UK Mira L512 user who says he ran the car with RON95 ever since he owned it... and no ill effect whatsoever.....

Last edited:

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
thx to our G and the Ron 95 petrol....:thefinger:

a 3.5 years p.myvi with 67,xxxkm mileage O2 sensor had kong-ed

p/s:the owner claimed that he had used ron95 petrol since the 1st day it launched till today....he said he won't fill his car with ron95 again...never again...:biggrin:

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
khoo198:
ridiculous...:hmpf:

sigh...pity that myvi owner...the car 3 year warranty ngam2 finish only...

tot can save some $$$ using ron95 since its cheaper then ron97...who knows,the O2 sensor kong...and now need to spend more $$$ now to replace the faulty O2 sensor...:smokin:

Last edited:

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
Thank to:adore::hahaha:Ron95:top:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Motorsport Asia’s CEO, David Sonenscher, was today appointed to the Malaysian Motorsports Council (MMC). The announcement was made during the media launch of the collaboration between Motorsports Association of Malaysia (MAM) and Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM) which was attended by the Minister of Youth and Sports, Yang Berhormat Dato’ Seri Azalina Dato’ Othman Said.

The council, which will be established no later...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience