Please Help Me...I don't know anything :(

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

splolo

Known Member
To all sifus, gurus out der, I need ur advise n help

Last year, my brother has put in a GSR bolt on turbo in his 4G93 (SGTi) and had left the country after that. He passed on the car to me to use after that.

Anyway, this morning, as I was checking the oils and stuffs, I realized the gasket is leaking coz there were oil stains (quite badly) between the head and the block. So I started digging some information from ZTH forums about replacing to metal gaskets.

Actually I need your kind helps on several matters.

Firstly, my brother had already installed a metal gasket, but how come it is leaking. I presume he used a half cut / second hand one la. So after reading the forums here, I figured if I use a thicker metal gasket, it will have a lower compression. Where can I find metal gaskets, new or used ones, and how much will it cost?

Another questions is, the pistons currently used are GSR ones (or maybe GSR RS pistons), not sure which one but its definately a GSR. My bro had also installed a J5 Matspeed chip, remapped for GSR. So I was thinking, if I use a thicker metal gasket and get the J5 remapped again, can I boost the engine much higher? Currently boosting at 0.6 I think, don't have a boost meter so I don't really know. So can I increase the boost to maybe 1 bar since I am already using GSR pistons and J5? Or will there be any harm to the engine? Oh yeah also using GSR injectors and GSR ori BOV.

Also, do I need a feul regulator? And how much will it cost?

Anybody selling their metal gaskets here? Can you please quote me your price.

How much do you think installing a metal gasket going to cost me? Need funds :( as I am still a student le :unsure:

All your inputs are very much appreciated. Thanx in advance.

GSR is a reliable powerplant..due to worn gaskets could result in oil leaking..so just replace a gasket...metal gasket about 1k++...dunno about 4G93P convert reliability...dun think it would be as reliable as ori GSR turbo...

boosting also depends on your turbine,TD05 or TD04..if dun have budget better dont boost so high...u will encounter with lots of problem..boost to high with metal gasket wothour additional injector..say bye to ur piston

0.6 will be a realiable boost can whack as u like..boost 1.5 bar weekend car ok lar....hehe

Yeah agree with evo5755. Better stick to low boost if u want to keep out of problems. And turbo cars should at least have a boost meter man. U dunno what's going on under ur hood, danger. maybe suddenly boost spike then byebye to ur engine... nowadays boost meter cheap man. Better get one boost meter.

Thanx evo5755 & Signal.

I was wondering, since metal gaskets are so expensive, is there any chance of getting used ones, but will they be reliable?

Also, I asked around a few frens, n they said the workmanship for putting in the new gasket would cost some where around 500 - 800. Is this true?

Thanx again guys.

Wei Spololo... was it you or your brother I spoke to last time? About 93P Turbo also...

500-800 for workmanship is overkill la... that price for service and the gasket is more like it, last I saw 1.5mm metal gaskets for 4G93 were going for like RM600 in KSP sunway, brand new. Should be able to get better prices out there as well, but then Im not sure of the quality la.

Originally posted by Zeroed@Aug 28 2004, 02:45 AM
Wei Spololo... was it you or your brother I spoke to last time? About 93P Turbo also...

500-800 for workmanship is overkill la... that price for service and the gasket is more like it, last I saw 1.5mm metal gaskets for 4G93 were going for like RM600 in KSP sunway, brand new. Should be able to get better prices out there as well, but then Im not sure of the quality la.
It was me lor :D

Ok thanx guys for da inputs. So now time to hunt for metal gaskets.

U guys think how many mm thickness should I use ar?

dude if u said there is leaking between ur head and block..there cuslb be other possibilities besides ur gasket..try changing those engine head seals..those black seals..lastime mine oso facing the same prob, but i din change any gaskets cus it is too costly, so wht i do is change all those rubber seals and guess wht ... prob solved.. try doin those cheap things first b4 jump into conclusion..u might not know the cheap things is the one having a prob..wht if u change gasket which is still can be use and prob still occureed? ... so to save ur pocket from burning change the cheap ones or mebi try checking from ur mech first..as u can see if u change to a thicker metal gasket ur compression will be lower and ur car will be laggy..so to gain back ur power u need to boost high..
as for injectors and stuff lidat i dun think u need to change ..cus mebi j5 can tune the sufficient fuel for ur engine to boost higher..but anythin u do the best and safe boost to go is around 0.9 - 1 bar .. den ur safe eventhough its a daily driven car..above dat boosting mentioned , i think u have to do lots of werks like changing pistons,valves,valves springs,retainer,etc...
so gl in searching dude.

Thanx GSR5559, will have a look at that. Didn't know those rubber things still bein used...I thought metal gasket means all also hentam metal :D

Thanx for da info bro. Will get it checked out soon.

np bro..hope u can solve ur prob fast without spending alot..evryone jus learn from experience..ahah..
u pray for those black seals is the prob le cus to compare the price, metal gasket is more expensive..

Guys, is a J5 chip considered a Unichip or can I use SAFC with J5 installed?

Thanx a million.

Originally posted by GSR5559@Sep 1 2004, 03:33 AM
dude if u said there is leaking between ur head and block..there cuslb be other possibilities besides ur gasket..try changing those engine head seals..those black seals..lastime mine oso facing the same prob, but i din change any gaskets cus it is too costly, so wht i do is change all those rubber seals and guess wht ... prob solved.. try doin those cheap things first b4 jump into conclusion
Yes. Before changing the head gasket, check where the leak is coming from. It might be de to worn rubber seals of the rocker valve cover.

I think you can use SAFC with J5 but if the J5 can be remapped to the new boost level, then why spend on a SAFC?

You might want to know that thai made and local made metal gaskets are notorious for leaking.

Thanx....Joeker

Hey dat Wastegate still got ar? Juz wondering, the noise wil only come in when at high revs @ turbok kicks in right. Not when cruising at 140 got loud noise rite?

Originally posted by splolo@Sep 3 2004, 03:32 PM
Juz wondering, the noise wil only come in when at high revs @ turbok kicks in right. Not when cruising at 140 got loud noise rite?
Noise? To uncles and auties or those who are not into car mods, I think they will refer it as noise.

Regardless of speed, when you have full boost, the valve opens and thens when the "music" starts :lol:

splolo : if u have J5 why must u spend for SAFc..as u know that J5 is like a piggyback thingy..but it is jus a chip dat is intalled in ur stock ecu..
J5 can do evrythin like wht SAFC does..and yes i think u can use SAFC if u got lots of money but settings will be the same..mebi jus for a display though..

and for WG , it is right ..it oni sounds wen turbo kicks in..but wen ur crusing like 140km/h but turbo is under vacuum, it wont sound unless u full throttle it and go up to boost..that is wher the "music " plays like wht joeker says..same goes to BOV oso..

OffTopic: Wei Splolo taikor... when want to yamcha around our campus la? :P

Borrow your thread for abit... GSR5559, for 4G93P with bolt-on kit and GSR Pistons, VR4 i/c and increased fueling, can safely boost 0.9-1 bar that high?

Im in the process of saving money... dont know should go for bolt on kit or not since my cousin knows this guy who'se blown his bolt on engine several times. :unsure:

Originally posted by Zeroed@Sep 5 2004, 12:28 PM
OffTopic: Wei Splolo taikor... when want to yamcha around our campus la? :P

Borrow your thread for abit... GSR5559, for 4G93P with bolt-on kit and GSR Pistons, VR4 i/c and increased fueling, can safely boost 0.9-1 bar that high?

Im in the process of saving money... dont know should go for bolt on kit or not since my cousin knows this guy who'se blown his bolt on engine several times. :unsure:
Eh when n wer is yamca campus la? Tell me la I'll be der.

Wah ur fren blow several engine aledy....maybe boosting to high...or hentam too much lor....

For ur situation la, I think u need a bigger TB....higher CC injectors...turbo fuel pump or fuel regulator n bla bla bla....dats wat sum1 told me last time........n dats wat I saw in da forums aso.

Yamcha campus? :o I mean yamcha around our campus hehe... Im from Taylors ma near where you always gather. Last time always see your car around C7 quite often. :)
Got once I msg you no reply...

He was boosting at 1 bar. Dont know if its his fueling, but he changed the pistons and everything liao still blow also. So I kind of have doubts about bolt-on kits.

zeroed : jus an advise , dun go for bolt-on ..as ive seen b4 usually bolt-on kit boosting around 0.4-0.6 oni..1 bar is kinda high but mebi depends to ur luck oso..and as u know alot have to be done to bolt-on kit and moreover u wont go any further from bhp to performance..mebi u will gain alittle power from the bolt-ons oni but not as powerful as transplant..but if dun plan to tranplant , stick back to NA .. mod ur NA engine and i bet it is more 100x reliable and safer den bolting a turbo ..
if u wana feel Turbo, transplant or else dun do any kits or watsoever..
as u see bolt-on oso might cost alot and probs will occured in near future..by the time u repair here and ther u can actually buy a halfcut oredi..anyway if u need more info mebi u can ask around this forum..there might be sum dudes who has the same thinking as mine..mebi u can try to look in turbo-ed 4g15 in this forced induction forum..evryone say it is a waste of time and money too..
as u can see that turbo = low compression NA = high compression ..so to bolt on turbo u need low compression and almost evrythin in the NA engine cannot be use..so might as well get a halfcut ..less hasle and the engine oso meant for turbo ..u can try goin for GSR,VR4,EVO 1,2,3, ...
hehe..

Thats what my cousin told me also. His friend ended up going for a transplant in the end, after blowing up more than RM10k worth of stuff. The last made him had enough with cracked pistons. :blink:
I've had thoughts of sticking to NA, but then it wont be easy either... I've heard of regrind cams blowing up engines also. :D
And importing original cams from Japan is not an option for me either. Saving up for transplant is the most reliable I guess...

I'd go for GSR la, JPJ also no need to kau tim so much since now 1.8 liao... but then my friend (outside influence again heheh) said from 1.8 to 1.8T very fast sien one, advise me to straight away go for Evo3. With the budget getting higher and higher I might not get anything done in the end... lol. :D

Originally posted by Zeroed@Sep 5 2004, 01:49 PM
Thats what my cousin told me also. His friend ended up going for a transplant in the end, after blowing up more than RM10k worth of stuff. The last made him had enough with cracked pistons. :blink:
I've had thoughts of sticking to NA, but then it wont be easy either... I've heard of regrind cams blowing up engines also. :D
And importing original cams from Japan is not an option for me either. Saving up for transplant is the most reliable I guess...
Aiyo..wat u all say aso true ma. But 2 me la..personally, I think if u trade in ur ori engine aso...no matter how good cond...will still fetch a very low price, plus its harder to sell. Might as well blow if b4 a transplant :P N then sell of the turbo kit...n then do a transplant hahaha...sumore my car 3yrs old mileage still less then 40k....seldom drive maa

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom