Old tyres? Usable?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
You've heard of those old stock AD07 and PP2 tyres in the market right? I'm currently running on Yoko Decibel DB 2010 week 29 tyres. I didn't realize the age of the tyre until yesterday and they are "made in Japan" too.

I'm kinda worried now. Any tyre experts out there? The tyres feel supple and quiet, very good thread depth too. Are they safe to run on?

if back dated 1 year ago should be ok, I bought my toyo tires in year 2012. the tyre was dated 2011, its fine & cheaper of course.:driver:

You've heard of those old stock AD07 and PP2 tyres in the market right? I'm currently running on Yoko Decibel DB 2010 week 29 tyres. I didn't realize the age of the tyre until yesterday and they are "made in Japan" too.

I'm kinda worried now. Any tyre experts out there? The tyres feel supple and quiet, very good thread depth too. Are they safe to run on?

It felt soft, so could be alright. Never ask VR2? ahha

If PP2 is 2 years old, As long not more than 3 years old, I'll still consider it. But not at same price though :rofl:

PP2 out of production. Not many left. Usually stocks that are left are for 14". Kelisa size only.

Check for fine crack lines. Once they start to appear time to look for new tyres. But since you using this car as Uncle car not as bad as when the tyres were on your hero....hahaha:biggrin:
No crack lines can use another year or so....:driver:

As for old stock new tyres, depends on your usage. Low mileage user, please get tyres that are as new as possible. If you can finish your tyres by two years then 2 years old tyres are okay and like bro. SF mention negotiate for better price.
I used to wear tyre pretty fast on my VR, and I usually get 2 years old tyres from one of my favorite shops who has old tyre stock and the price I get from him is superb like another RM100 off per tyre, something like 30 to sometimes 40% off...:driver:

Last edited:
Check for fine crack lines. Once they start to appear time to look for new tyres. But since you using this car as Uncle car not as bad as when the tyres were on your hero....hahaha:biggrin:
No crack lines can use another year or so....:driver:

As for old stock new tyres, depends on your usage. Low mileage user, please get tyres that are as new as possible. If you can finish your tyres by two years then 2 years old tyres are okay and like bro. SF mention negotiate for better price.
I used to wear tyre pretty fast on my VR, and I usually get 2 years old tyres from one of my favorite shops who has old tyre stock and the price I get from him is superb like another RM100 off per tyre, something like 30 to sometimes 40% off...:driver:

psst, where is the place?

psst, where is the place?

Sorry, brother. Was sometime back. That lot of older tyres also finished already.
I actually paid him for 4 extra tyres, but ask him keep until my next change that time, if case he sells off...

depends...not all tyre have the same shelf life...
some say 2 years, some 3, some even 6 years...

depends on the rubber..which cant be explained...because it involve unknown mixed substance...

depends on the keeping condition...how they keep it? horizontal or vertical? any flat surface? any crack? out in the sun?

you can just check it visually..and feeling...still soft?

depends on the rubber..which cant be explained...because it involve unknown mixed substance...

depends on the keeping condition...how they keep it? horizontal or vertical? any flat surface? any crack? out in the sun?

Yeah. My father was in the rubber business and he told me that older tyres (pre-1998) used to get better with time since galvanization of the tyres was done naturally (exposure to oxygen). Those days people would buy and keep these 'new' tyres for a year in the store room and only use them then. New tyres are pre-galvanized so they are immediately usable.

And this tyre was changed by the previous owner of my car, deep thread and was changed 'new' by the owner who seemed like an average user, not one who'd check the tyre age and all.

Hmm.. thanks for feedback guys. I think I'll risk it for a couple more months and change end of year. Chance to go 17"/18" :biggrin:

Yeah. My father was in the rubber business and he told me that older tyres (pre-1998) used to get better with time since galvanization of the tyres was done naturally (exposure to oxygen). Those days people would buy and keep these 'new' tyres for a year in the store room and only use them then. New tyres are pre-galvanized so they are immediately usable.

And this tyre was changed by the previous owner of my car, deep thread and was changed 'new' by the owner who seemed like an average user, not one who'd check the tyre age and all.

Hmm.. thanks for feedback guys. I think I'll risk it for a couple more months and change end of year. Chance to go 17"/18" :biggrin:

U r driving an uncle car already lar boss...time to drive like an uncle until you "menyahuncle" it :biggrin:
Then the tyres should not give any problem I believe. I remembered I did not change my old car tyre for more than 3 years and the thread was still deep. It was Dunlop tyre but I dont know what model. Was kinda young that time dont know much. Because of the thread was still good, I didnt bother changing it but the tyres became hardened like roti kok. Can see some hairline cracks. Then when I went to change my front tyres the mechanic said "waaaaah you still dont wana change it ar?". So I changed all four to Goodyear Ducaro if not mistaken. $ fly

2 years is too short. Base is 4 years up to like you mention 6. Funny thing is tyres not used can be stored for long time, but if tyres have been used then removed and then stored they do not last long. They tent to harden much faster....

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Bro. Izso, Check the week date. That day just saw the end 10, but basically until year end, should not be a problem

U r driving an uncle car already lar boss...time to drive like an uncle until you "menyahuncle" it :biggrin:
Then the tyres should not give any problem I believe. I remembered I did not change my old car tyre for more than 3 years and the thread was still deep. It was Dunlop tyre but I dont know what model. Was kinda young that time dont know much. Because of the thread was still good, I didnt bother changing it but the tyres became hardened like roti kok. Can see some hairline cracks. Then when I went to change my front tyres the mechanic said "waaaaah you still dont wana change it ar?". So I changed all four to Goodyear Ducaro if not mistaken. $ fly

Actually, my main reason for changing earlier is so I can get some value for the tyres. :biggrin:

Actually, my main reason for changing earlier is so I can get some value for the tyres. :biggrin:

2nd hand tyre value is more if your tyre size is common size. Yours is 195/65R15 right? I think not too common. If 185/60R14, 195/50, 195/55R15, 175/70R13 then price can be higher.
I am sure my Tiggo size 235/60R16 they won't even want....hahahaha:biggrin:

2nd hand tyre value is more if your tyre size is common size. Yours is 195/65R15 right? I think not too common. If 185/60R14, 195/50, 195/55R15, 175/70R13 then price can be higher.
I am sure my Tiggo size 235/60R16 they won't even want....hahahaha:biggrin:

I saw people selling db at RM150 for 2 pieces. 15 inch, forgot the size though.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom