Malaysia scraps bridge project to replace causeway with Singapore

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
dont think its becoz the oposition of SG. Maybe part of it is...but in another hand we can see the contractor are having very tight financial situation.....as i said, some excuse to release quick cash to the contractor.....dont be surprise they will resume the project somedays.

In the past they never care abt the SG and the rakyat opposition so suddenly they care it so much? not their usual behavior....

look at R@nong.....

The link between the company to our lovely G:

http://www.worldroom.com/pages/newswire/news12200014b.phtml

The onwership of all the projects which make many msians sufferring like hell, and with huge amount of debts which our G are trying to pay for them:

http://www.insolvencyasia.com/Local_studies/Case Study - Malaysia.htm

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/4079

"However, both Renong and UEM have since restructured a combined RM8.4 billion in debt through the issuance of seven-year bonds in early 1999"

This means they have to settle the RM8.4billion bonds this year~~~~~~our G is their garantor...so you know why Gomen so desperate for $$$$$$

Last edited:
hahaah

it depends lar bro. this is how malaysia works. maybe bantahan rakyat johor stronger, sri petaling community is only *ahem* sikit??

I used to study in Jb. What worries me is not da bridge as the construction for the bridge hasnt really begun yet.

My main worries, wat is the Gomen gonna do with the CIQ (Customs, Immigration, Quarantine) complex they spent so much money to built? Its not a small building, its a mega structure of concrete and steel (which by da way, is super expensive to build) right opposite City Square.

What r they gonna do wif that complex now? Turn it into a new Duty Free?

xtracooljustin said:
I used to study in Jb. What worries me is not da bridge as the construction for the bridge hasnt really begun yet.

My main worries, wat is the Gomen gonna do with the CIQ (Customs, Immigration, Quarantine) complex they spent so much money to built? Its not a small building, its a mega structure of concrete and steel (which by da way, is super expensive to build) right opposite City Square.

What r they gonna do wif that complex now? Turn it into a new Duty Free?
turn it to papaya farm lah......can earn sg $$$$$$$$$...............muhahahhahah

Saga Continue said:
kelemahan kerajaan pimpinan pak lah....

bodoh lah ahmad bodoh wi

who wants to add to old PM's debt la. sudah over RM20++ billion in debt lo.

UALA LUMPUR: Malaysians found Singapore's demand for a trade-off for sand and use of Malaysian airspace unacceptable.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said the Government had weighed the situation and “we are responding to what the public wants”.

“The public is not happy and the people of Johor are not happy. Under the circumstances, this is the best decision we can make,” he told newsmen at the Parliament lobby yesterday.

Syed Hamid, who had earlier briefed MPs in Parliament on the matter, said the about-turn on the bridge project was in the nation’s interest.

“The decision was not made suddenly nor was it a policy change. We have studied public response all this while. The bridge issue has been talked about so much in the newspapers’” he said.

“The best thing is to stop the project as we still have the Causeway and the Second Link, which is under-utilised.”

Well since you said it is under-utilised,y build the S curve bridge in the first place?
Taking a huge S-curve on the middle of the sea sure hell fun.....heck~

escaflowne said:
UALA LUMPUR: Malaysians found Singapore's demand for a trade-off for sand and use of Malaysian airspace unacceptable.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said the Government had weighed the situation and “we are responding to what the public wants”.

“The public is not happy and the people of Johor are not happy. Under the circumstances, this is the best decision we can make,” he told newsmen at the Parliament lobby yesterday.

Syed Hamid, who had earlier briefed MPs in Parliament on the matter, said the about-turn on the bridge project was in the nation’s interest.

“The decision was not made suddenly nor was it a policy change. We have studied public response all this while. The bridge issue has been talked about so much in the newspapers’” he said.

“The best thing is to stop the project as we still have the Causeway and the Second Link, which is under-utilised.”

Well since you said it is under-utilised,y build the S curve bridge in the first place?
Taking a huge S-curve on the middle of the sea sure hell fun.....heck~
dude... check this out...

Chronology of events of bridge project

July 1996: The idea to replace the Causeway with a bridge was mooted by then Prime Minister Datuk Seri (now Tun) Dr Mahathir Mohamad. The bridge was aimed at easing traffic congestion in Johor Baru, and to improve water quality and reduce pollution in the Johor Straits.

December 1999: Gerbang Perdana submitted a privatisation proposal for the Southern International Gateway project to the Economic Planning Unit (EPU). The proposal was to replace the Causeway with a bridge and redevelop the existing Customs, Immigration and Quarantine facilities, including improvement to the existing road network in the Johor Baru central business district.

October 2002: When the water issue was separated from the package of bilateral issues, Singapore called off talks on the bridge plan.

August 2003: Malaysia announced it would unilaterally build its half of the bridge.

January 2004: Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said Malaysia would present a new bridge proposal to Singapore. He said Malaysia was still interested in building a straight bridge instead of a “crooked” one.

February 2004: Singapore said it could only agree to the bridge if there was a balance of benefits for both sides. Singapore reportedly wanted Malaysia to sell sand for its reclamation works and to allow its jetfighters to use Malaysian airspace as a trade-off for it to agree to the proposal.

January 2005: The Government gave the go-ahead to resume works to build the bridge. The target was for it to be completed in the second quarter of 2009.

October 2005: Singapore’s lukewarm response prompted Malaysia to pursue the idea of a “crooked bridge” on the Malaysian side.

Jan 27, 2006: Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu said the Government was expected to issue a letter of intent to the Gerbang Perdana consortium to proceed with the project. He said the instructions came from Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar.

Jan 31, 2006: Abdullah said Malaysia was going ahead with its plan to build a bridge across its half of the Johor Straits as any delay would incur more cost. He said that while the construction of the RM640mil bridge was going ahead, negotiations to get Singapore to complete the project would continue.

expect to see some retaliatory measures?

launch ICBuM? :wink: heheeh

the way the government puts it is like the rakyat's fault for scrapping this project and waste RM100 mil. If that is the case then they should have listened to the rakyat BEFORE taking any actions. If I'm the PM I'll feel ashame but this coz I just blew up RM100mil.... Can't imagine how everyone in the government can still smile!!

Blowing up RM100mil is nothing lar. These guys burn BILLIONS of taxpayer Ringgit through their "first world" GLCs like MAS and also by filtering through their own pockets.

Can't imagine how many BILLIONS oredi burn by G for nothing..???

Simple like....
1) MAS
2) PERWAJA
3) PROTON
4)
5)
6)

We all shouldn't blame Pak Lah for that, the contact is signed before he take over.
It was Tun Mahathir that we shall question and blame.

During Tun Mahathir era, in incident as such, goverment won't review the contrator name and the amount to compensate the contrator. I believe Pak Lah have move a step forward.

but at leat Dr. M will get the job done..... i dont know since im not johorian...will the bridge and the whole Custom complex will benefit Johore or JB people particularly..... now all i want to know izit paklah who made the decission or Khairy made the decision....

but one thig i just don;t understand..how come singaporean so kiasu?.....

build a bridge..replace teh old rusty dirty causway also improve the image of johore isn;t it?...and of course..the bridge is nice..doesn;t care it it's crooked or staright...wtf they care about crooked unless the singaporeasn or teh malaysia gomen is crooked themself..nevermind about that....

nobody is using the second link because second link it's not really convenient...not because it's expensive and..nobody tends to promote teh second link....

if you ask me go singapore how?..use jb causeway la...okie..this is another issue..back to teh main issue..

i just don;t understand this singaporeans....sighs..

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom