Is It a clutch or gearbox problem?????

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

bambino

Known Member
hi guys..sorry for the mia.. haha..been busy prepin for my rom stuff for the past few months :)
anyway to the topic... i have been having some probs with my clutch recently..
1. when i depress my clutch(os giken twin clutch), the cling-ing sounds seem to have softened much more
2. i ALWAYS crunch 5th gear now!!
3. i changed my oils already. abt 300km back but tt was as far as i have stopped posting here.

SO THE BIG QUESTION...is my clutch fucked or is it my gearbox?

i am very worried its my gearbox as the clutch does not seem to be slippin?
but it might be the 'syncro' prob or is that even a problem?

please help. thanks !!

p.s joewe... how's things man ?

most prolly your gearbox dude..... My Rx8s gearbox recently went bust (3-4 weeks back). Similar symtoms to yours. I was always crunching into 5th and 6th gears. Thought it was my clutch, so i replaced it with a Mazdaspeed 3puk super single unit. Crunching still persisted. 2 months later, my gearbox went BOOOOOMMMMM........ Hahahahaha........

Now i'm laughing..... trust me..... i wasn't went it happened......

Doesn't matter if its an Rx7 or an Rx8...... Its still odd to have syncro problems in 5th gear. Usually only happens in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears.

5th gear crunching is a sign of impending doom. I learnt the hard way.......

What car is this???

Synchro-mesh problem not normal on final gear. Normally 1st gear.

Please take to transmissions engineer to check. It is your gearbox, not your clutch.

Yeah gearbox not good edi. Check the engine mountings and rear axel mountings as well.

P/S: I'm good. U got my PM? Contact Royz in SG I will inform him soon.

most prolly your gearbox dude..... My Rx8s gearbox recently went bust (3-4 weeks back). Similar symtoms to yours. I was always crunching into 5th and 6th gears. Thought it was my clutch, so i replaced it with a Mazdaspeed 3puk super single unit. Crunching still persisted. 2 months later, my gearbox went BOOOOOMMMMM........ Hahahahaha........

Now i'm laughing..... trust me..... i wasn't went it happened......

Doesn't matter if its an Rx7 or an Rx8...... Its still odd to have syncro problems in 5th gear. Usually only happens in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears.

5th gear crunching is a sign of impending doom. I learnt the hard way.......

aww man..sorry bt ur GB man... looks like i gotta get it checked soon... lucky m not driving this since symtoms happened!

What car is this???

Synchro-mesh problem not normal on final gear. Normally 1st gear.

Please take to transmissions engineer to check. It is your gearbox, not your clutch.

does it mean i have uneven wear in my GB ? anyone got similar probs?

anywhere in jb area i can bring the car to a tranny mech? and re my previous msg... this is not uneven wear on the gb right? its just the syncro? hmm sems like the 3rd is having some probs too.. anyone knows how much it will cost for the whole rebuild?

Bambino,

assuming you have an FC-FD, your tranny gears are worn or damaged. The "teeth" are not biting on the 5th gear hence you are not able to engage properly. The reason for this being either the "teeth" worn down due to mis-use or the transmission bearings / shaft or something is mis-aligned or broken.

If the former, then you are actually quite safe but there will come a time when you will no longer be able to engage 5th at all.

If the later - its what Effie mentioned, possibility of the gears in the tranny blowing to bits. When that happens in motorsport there is a bullet-proof material around the tranny to protect the driver by catching most of the shrapnel. You wont have that protection and you may loose both your legs in an explosion of metal teeth and discs.

No, I am only joke about the last one. But do go get it checked. Ah Choy can give you help - he has replacement trannys lying around. In JB, I dont know.

Bambino,

If the later - its what Effie mentioned, possibility of the gears in the tranny blowing to bits. When that happens in motorsport there is a bullet-proof material around the tranny to protect the driver by catching most of the shrapnel. You wont have that protection and you may loose both your legs in an explosion of metal teeth and discs.

Thats a good one!!:biggrin:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom