How to choose engine oil?

What do you think of Caltex Havoline Fully synthetic 5w40 and 10w40?
Heard from Persona forum it suits Campro.
Very smooth.
I'm a noob at motor oil.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Oh, then better not get, not cheap either.

I'm looking at what engine oil to get since I'm gonna service my car soon.
Any suggestions?

Prince Oil kinda cheap. Someone selling at discounted price for fully synthetic.
Office at KLCC Twin Tower..

Cheaper by RM100.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/engine-and-performance/432132-prince-fs1-fully-synthetic-motor-oil.html

Kuraz motorsport wor. Sponsor Leona Chin one. I think.

What do you think of Caltex Havoline Fully synthetic 5w40 and 10w40?
Heard from Persona forum it suits Campro.
Very smooth.
I'm a noob at motor oil.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Kuraz motorsport wor. Sponsor Leona Chin one. I think.

Yup from Kuraz at Sunway, now having offer for this engine oil, still top of my list for the moment.
Since promotion now.

Not sure if it is because time to change engine oil, my blm is drinking fuel like there is no tomorrow.
Need to get it check, afraid if there are any leaks or tank bocor small hole. Since it happened
before to my car.

172km = RM43. Imagine how often i need to pump petrol all of a sudden. From 200+ KM drop till
172km.

OMFG.. I wanna pull out my hairs explaining this repeatedly.

Why do people keep asking about which oils to go for? If it's API / TUV / ECEA certified then it has a certain level of quality. Meaning it's not going to blow up your engine when you use it. Question is only what do you want from your oil? And how much can you afford?

Lots of detergents? Cleaner engine? Royal Purple.
Filthy rich? Torco / Lucas / Motul / Redline / Castrol Syntec fully syn / Castrol Edge / Ravenol, etc.
Reasonable price fully syn? Pennzoil
Pretty good oil and reasonable price? Petronas, Rock Oil
etc.

Each oil has their own downsides, whether it's shorter lifespan or expensive or whatever. I challenge you to try two different oils and tell me that they feel different. The only exception to this test is Royal Purple. The damn cleaners in this oil is so good the engine will start to feel rough very fast and will be due for a change.

Yup from Kuraz at Sunway, now having offer for this engine oil, still top of my list for the moment.
Since promotion now.

Not sure if it is because time to change engine oil, my blm is drinking fuel like there is no tomorrow.
Need to get it check, afraid if there are any leaks or tank bocor small hole. Since it happened
before to my car.

172km = RM43. Imagine how often i need to pump petrol all of a sudden. From 200+ KM drop till
172km.

172km for RM43? that is around 7.6km/l almost same as my VR....:confused::smokin:

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

what bout honda civic 2.5.. which engine oil is good?

Honda Civic 2.5? Do you mean Honda Accord?:confused:

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Oh, then better not get, not cheap either.

I'm looking at what engine oil to get since I'm gonna service my car soon.
Any suggestions?

Prince Oil kinda cheap. Someone selling at discounted price for fully synthetic.
Office at KLCC Twin Tower..

Cheaper by RM100.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/engine-and-performance/432132-prince-fs1-fully-synthetic-motor-oil.html

So what viscosity you looking for?

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Why do people keep asking about which oils to go for? If it's API / TUV / ECEA certified then it has a certain level of quality. Meaning it's not going to blow up your engine when you use it. Question is only what do you want from your oil? And how much can you afford?

Filthy rich? Torco / Lucas / Motul / Redline / Castrol Syntec fully syn / Castrol Edge / Ravenol, etc.
etc.

Each oil has their own downsides, whether it's shorter lifespan or expensive or whatever. I challenge you to try two different oils and tell me that they feel different. The only exception to this test is Royal Purple. The damn cleaners in this oil is so good the engine will start to feel rough very fast and will be due for a change.

If want lots of cleaner in the oil, just use diesel engine oil, but with petrol specification of course...:biggrin:
I am now using very cheap FS, even cheaper then what Tesco promo. BHP I got from factory launch. Zeetex and Delphi from warehouse sale and the cheapest is Promax from UMW stable. Warehouse sale also at RM65 for 4L...:driver:

172km for RM43? that is around 7.6km/l almost same as my VR....:confused::smokin:

Honda Civic 2.5? Do you mean Honda Accord?:confused:

So what viscosity you looking for?

If want lots of cleaner in the oil, just use diesel engine oil, but with petrol specification of course...:biggrin:
I am now using very cheap FS, even cheaper then what Tesco promo. BHP I got from factory launch. Zeetex and Delphi from warehouse sale and the cheapest is Promax from UMW stable. Warehouse sale also at RM65 for 4L...:driver:

Ya, I'm starting to get frustrated with my BLM now, no power yet makan minyak.
Adi tried not to rev the car still same. Rev or no Rev also almost the same.

Fully Syn and Semi-Syn. 10W40/10W30/5W30/ also can. Just around this range.

Saw another M7 Engine oil at RM170 10W40.

The oil for which car? Altis, right? FS normally is 5w-40.
If want to try Pennzoil can buy direct from UMW warehouse, can get discount....:driver:

7.6km/L is ridiculously high for a BLM. There's something seriously wrong with your car if you're getting that high FC. Oil isn't going to help your FC that much man.

Don't whack me yeah Izso.
I saw very cheap EO! From Bardhal.
It's very well known in US, but
Why is not very well known here?
I did my research on eo only to find this brand existed.

Don't whack me yeah Izso.
I saw very cheap EO! From Bardhal.
It's very well known in US, but
Why is not very well known here?
I did my research on eo only to find this brand existed.

Bardhal exists in US? Sure? Well I dunno. If it suites your budget, no harm trying it. If it doesn't feel good swap it out after 3000km or 5000km. No harm to that.

Bardhal exists in US? Sure? Well I dunno. If it suites your budget, no harm trying it. If it doesn't feel good swap it out after 3000km or 5000km. No harm to that.

Quoted from wiki

Bardhal is backed by a global network of distributors throughout 90 countries under several different brands such as Bardahl and Protex by Bardahl. Formulations meet or exceed OEM Top Tier Performance requirements for the automotive industry: Audi - BMW - Chrysler - Citroen - Ferrari - Fiat - Ford - GM - Honda - Hyundai - Mazda - Mercedes - Mitsubishi - Peugeot - Porsche - Renault - Volkswagen

Well, it sells at 100/4L for the 5W40 FS SN one. Whereas, Syntium 800 rm110+ from sc. SL only.

Quoted from wiki

Bardhal is backed by a global network of distributors throughout 90 countries under several different brands such as Bardahl and Protex by Bardahl. Formulations meet or exceed OEM Top Tier Performance requirements for the automotive industry: Audi - BMW - Chrysler - Citroen - Ferrari - Fiat - Ford - GM - Honda - Hyundai - Mazda - Mercedes - Mitsubishi - Peugeot - Porsche - Renault - Volkswagen

Well, it sells at 100/4L for the 5W40 FS SN one. Whereas, Syntium 800 rm110+ from sc. SL only.

No sure what price now, but used to get Bardahl FS at RM85 then RM90. Check Zhapalang and there was another shop in Jalan Ipoh that was selling cheap

Quoted from wiki

Take everything you read on Wiki with a pinch of salt. It's not regulated and anyone can write or edit anything.

This is interesting info. It's not quite complete like "Bob is the oil guy" but it's good info nonetheless

etc.

So, to simplify this, Engine Oil with better Cleaning Function will have to change engine oil much sooner than any normal engine oil?

The oil for which car? Altis, right? FS normally is 5w-40.
If want to try Pennzoil can buy direct from UMW warehouse, can get discount....:driver:
For Saga I guess just use Castrol Semi-Syn would be enough I guess. At least less than RM100 if
not wrong.

Altis, also now using Fully Syn from Castrol. Last time Chemlube. Chemlube has really good
cleaning technology but then is costly. RM200 for 4L. Same like any FS engine oil around RM200+.
But well like you said, cars are not that powerful or even high performance car that needed
such extreme grade engine oil. Would be just a waste right?

7.6km/L is ridiculously high for a BLM. There's something seriously wrong with your car if you're getting that high FC. Oil isn't going to help your FC that much man.

Yes, I noticed that, gonna check my brake oil level today. Previously did told vr2turbo that
my brake pads seems to wear kinda fast, just like 3 months after service, my brake pads
seems to feel rough especially hard braking and is even worse when holding the brakes downhill.

The sound was real loud and felt rough on my brake pedal.

Brakes still makan like normal but emergency brake kinda feel real rough. Would say kinda
dangerous. Gonna get it check then. Could be brakes problem that is causing my FC that high.

Or any other possibilities that I should take note?

How do u survive with such high FC?
That's is why is killing me slowly here....annoying as well that I have to pump petrol that often.

sf your saga's fc could beat my v6 already! my opinion is, your fuel system has some bugs, or your brake is jammed dragging your car along your fc, since you have mentioned your brake problem.

sf your saga's fc could beat my v6 already! my opinion is, your fuel system has some bugs, or your brake is jammed dragging your car along your fc, since you have mentioned your brake problem.

If the engine is V6 in my BLM then I won't complain the FC :rofl:

If it has some bugs, I need to pour in some treatment in my fuel tank? I suspect is my brakes
problem which is mostly the biggest possibility for FC problem.

200km mileage for RM45 already bad enough for me. Yet it became worse so surely
PROTON SC didnt do a great job in fixing it.

Changed my brake pads at SC just after 3 months can't be wearing off that fast. Is not that the car
is that powerful too...

At 1st thought could be due to service (change engine oil)
which is why the FC suddenly drop coincidentally. Didn't suspect
much until I did hard braking and was holding the car on a slope with my brakes.
The sound was real loud that I think others can hear it from inside their car.

Last edited:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom