Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

How to choose engine oil?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Actually...is there a big difference between 5w-30 and 5w-40? Coz my car spec for 30 but it is harder to find. 40 can withstand higher temp without major changes in viscosity..shouldnt be affecting much I guess if I use 40?

Technically, you might have very big difference, or very little difference....

At 100 deg C, Viscosity of oil if falls within range of 9.3-12.5 cSt will be Xw30, if it falls within range of 12.5-16.3, it will be Xw40....

So, if you are comparing oil that is having 12.4cSt @ 100 deg C and 12.6cSt @ 100 deg C, According to SAE standard, you are comparing xW30 with xW40 but in actual technical fact, their difference is only 0.2cSt in viscosity.... hence, very little difference....

But if you are comparing oil that is having 9.4cSt @ 100 deg C and 16.2cSt @ 100 deg C, According to SAE standard, you are also comparing xW30 with xW40 but in actual technical fact, their difference is 6.8 cSt in viscosity.... hence, very huge difference....

Actually...is there a big difference between 5w-30 and 5w-40? Coz my car spec for 30 but it is harder to find. 40 can withstand higher temp without major changes in viscosity..shouldnt be affecting much I guess if I use 40?

bro. cvkit, 5w-30 quite easy to find. Pennzoil have.....

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Technically, you might have very big difference, or very little difference....

At 100 deg C, Viscosity of oil if falls within range of 9.3-12.5 cSt will be Xw30, if it falls within range of 12.5-16.3, it will be Xw40....

So, if you are comparing oil that is having 12.4cSt @ 100 deg C and 12.6cSt @ 100 deg C, According to SAE standard, you are comparing xW30 with xW40 but in actual technical fact, their difference is only 0.2cSt in viscosity.... hence, very little difference....

But if you are comparing oil that is having 9.4cSt @ 100 deg C and 16.2cSt @ 100 deg C, According to SAE standard, you are also comparing xW30 with xW40 but in actual technical fact, their difference is 6.8 cSt in viscosity.... hence, very huge difference....

Are you bro. YSW?:biggrin:

different manufacturer different quality of oil? How can we determine the quality? through experience? I'm now using only engine oil from perodua

bro. cvkit, 5w-30 quite easy to find. Pennzoil have.....:

Yeah but not the common ones we can get at Tesco haha...I'm planning to use fully Syn after this service and unfortunately perodua doesn't have that.

Yeah but not the common ones we can get at Tesco haha...I'm planning to use fully Syn after this service and unfortunately perodua doesn't have that.

You can buy direct from UMW at their warehouse in Shah Alam, some more got discount....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

Who is that? :)

Oh! he is a particular Mr. Wong I know, who is well verse in lubricants technically like you....:hmmmm:

You can buy direct from UMW at their warehouse in Shah Alam, some more got discount....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

Oh! he is a particular Mr. Wong I know, who is well verse in lubricants technically like you....:hmmmm:

I am not well verse in lubricant, I am still learning, thanks for your compliment. :)

I am not well verse in lubricant, I am still learning, thanks for your compliment. :)

The level of technical info you shared shows you're more than just "not well versed" dude! :biggrin:

which lube good for fiesta (A) 1.6?

Depends. What does it say in the Fiesta manual? 5W30? If so, stick with 5W30 and opt for fully synthetic (assuming your car is new) and opt for reputable brands like Redline, Rock Oil, Mobil1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Blitz, etc. You won't go wrong. Don't listen to hearsay from people who claim their oils are miracle oils, generally all oils are the same for average everyday cars. The only thing you might notice a difference in is :

1. FC differences - probably give or take 5km to 20k more... or less.
2. Tolerance to heat - Some folks go tracking in their cars so higher tolerance to breakdown is preferred.
3. Cleaning agents - oils like Royal Purple have excellent cleaning properties
4. Price - Whats the point of buying expensive oil if you can't afford it?

That's about it

Is true, sometimes is just kinda headache to think what engine oil to purchase. Just too many brands that claims they have the
best engine oil with latest technology and ingredients.

Saw Royal Purple fully syn for sale RM43 per quart. 960+ml if not wrong. 1 dozen is RM500.

ah , oil discussion , a never ending battle of what brand goes on top..

personally i rather not to believe any test or benchmark that being posted all over the internet due to the fact that some may or maybe not be true , it all just marketing advertisement.

but , like me as a casual driver , i only use reputable brand that already well known to everybody and change it 2000km early interval.

unless you're a aggressive driver then maybe you may required additional lubricant (this applicable to the thing inside your pants too!)

Wah! you change every 2k km? Low mileage user?

2000km? Even RX-8 don't change engine oil that early? :stoned:

Got to have deep pocket to do so or your car is just weekend car :rofl:

The level of technical info you shared shows you're more than just "not well versed" dude! :biggrin:

Depends. What does it say in the Fiesta manual? 5W30? If so, stick with 5W30 and opt for fully synthetic (assuming your car is new) and opt for reputable brands like Redline, Rock Oil, Mobil1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Blitz, etc. You won't go wrong. Don't listen to hearsay from people who claim their oils are miracle oils, generally all oils are the same for average everyday cars. The only thing you might notice a difference in is :

1. FC differences - probably give or take 5km to 20k more... or less.
2. Tolerance to heat - Some folks go tracking in their cars so higher tolerance to breakdown is preferred.
3. Cleaning agents - oils like Royal Purple have excellent cleaning properties
4. Price - Whats the point of buying expensive oil if you can't afford it?

That's about it

bro how bout TORCO or Q8? izzit a good lube?

which lube good for fiesta (A) 1.6?

In your owner manual, Ford recommends SAE 5W30, WSS-M2C913-B (a very old ford standard)

WSS-M2C913-B is replaced by WSS-M2C913-C,

WSS-M2C913-C is replaced by WSS-M2C929-A

WSS-M2C929-A is now replaced by WSS-M2C946-A....

Whatever brand you would like to go for, stick to the latest Ford standard WSS-M2C946-A at viscosity grade of SAE 5W30

2000km? Even RX-8 don't change engine oil that early? :stoned:

Got to have deep pocket to do so or your car is just weekend car :rofl:

not just weekend , it just a monthly car , some more my wife is driving the car and you can expect whats going happen when a women take care of a care(true story) :P

Wah! you change every 2k km? Low mileage user?

ahh , i meant that 2000km early than recommended , eg.8000km instead of 10K

bro how bout TORCO or Q8? izzit a good lube?

I've used Q8 before and quite honestly I can't tell the difference between that and my regular oil. Both work great and both do what it's supposed to do. But my regular one is cheaper - so why should I change? Mind you though, really depends on your purpose. I'm just an average joe driving from one place to another in KL with the rare occasional spirited drive and that's it. To a racer joe this regular oil of mine might not be as good.

Torco.. this one is controversial. Some have great feedback and some complain that it doesn't perform to its claims. They were selling their oils for quite a while without API certification so whatever they claimed was their word against no ones. Now that they are API certified, I'm hoping they are more refined. I've personally never tried this brand so I can't comment. Besides, it's really really expensive. I'm too stingy for that.

Anyone tried Repsol oil? Royal Purple is selling RM43 per quart.

Top Bottom