Engine Oil from Tesco

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
This is my assumption but at no point an accusation;
-it was mentioned in the 2nd post that 'to try FS oil' on ground that it makes the engine perform better despite the higher price mentioned by the 1st post. The post is subversively pushing for FS oil but does not condem other oil type so the issue is not the type of oil.
-then the 2nd post mentioned to not go for fake oil. How to be sure? there is a certain company which has an app to ensure the oil is genuine. pushing for that brand?
most probably yes.

Anyway, that certain brand is the choice i go for if Tesco have a sale.
yeah, But i also based my assumption on similar sounding posts that user (with the furry creature avatar) posted before, as well as them both having the same registration date on zth. And...one extremely low post count user asks a question and then another user with an even lower post replies very quickly...

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My honda civic vehicle is under service period, i tend to use semi synthetic engine oil, but the worker request full synthetic, the price is much higher, what should i choose? Did my vehicle really need to use full synthetic or they just want earn more money from me?
Did you try the full synthetic engine oil before? For me, that will be some different in the engine performance. May b you should try 1 time to compare the 2 types of engine oil. But dont use the fake engine oil, it will make you in a big trouble.
Alcyon was spot on.

@Rickman @Silver_Blue you guys according to your IP address is the same person. What is your purpose on creating multiple accounts? If you're here to promote some oil brands or whatever just do it properly, not create fake hype with multiple accounts. If you continue using multiple accounts I will ban you and your IP address permanently.

Reactions: alcyon

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Call me cynical, but those two fellas seems like the same person logging in twice under different accounts..
BN cyber troopers no more work already, now work as social media influencers... lol

Marc60

Nov 7, 2018
Well the advantage of FS oil are supposedly better engine protection and longer oil change intervals ( for example if semi needs to be change
aat 5k or 7.5k km then FS can last up to 10, 15, some even 20k km or more!) So now depends on what FS oil is given and how much is the price. Not all FS oil are the same, some are still very close to semi as they're group 3, some are more pure and above group 3 category and also more expensive.

For me, I use FS oils also on all my cars but try find those branded ones at cheap promotion prices. For example Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 at only rm90-100/btl during promotion at Giant.
So you mean to tell that some fully synthetic oil are almost the same quality as semi? Didnt know that..
I have a lack of faith the one sold in supermarket since there rumors saying it might be recycled oil thats why theyre cheap. Lol maybe just me though got too into those propagandas.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
So you mean to tell that some fully synthetic oil are almost the same quality as semi? Didnt know that..
I have a lack of faith the one sold in supermarket since there rumors saying it might be recycled oil thats why theyre cheap. Lol maybe just me though got too into those propagandas.
I guess there is an assumption by most people that Group 3 syns are not real synthetic , in a way that's true. Btw a semi syn is a grp II oil mixed with at least 30% group III.
The argument about group 3 being not real FS began in 1999 when castrol marketed their Syntec Group 3 (hydrocracked mineral) .
Excerpt :
"In the late 1990s, Castrol started selling an oil made from Group III base oil and called it SynTec Full Synthetic. Mobil sued Castrol, asserting that this oil was not synthetic, but simply a highly refined petroleum oil, and therefore it was false advertising to call it synthetic. In 1999, Mobil lost their lawsuit. It was decided that the word "synthetic" was a marketing term and referred to properties, not to production methods or ingredients. Castrol continues to make SynTec out of Group III base oils, that is highly purified oil with most all of the cockroach bits removed.

Shortly after Mobil lost their lawsuit, most oil companies started reformulating their synthetic oils to use Group III base stocks instead of PAOs or diester stocks as their primary component. Most of the "synthetic oil" you can buy today is actually mostly made of this highly-distilled and purified dino-juice called Group III oil. Group III base oils cost about half as much as the synthetics. By using a blend of mostly Group III oils and a smaller amount of "true" synthetics, the oil companies can produce a product that has nearly the same properties as the "true" synthetics, and nearly the same cost as the Group III oil. In fact, Mobil-1 is now primarily made from Group III unconventional base oils, exactly the stuff Mobil was claiming was not really synthetic. The much more expensive traditional synthetics are now available in their pure forms only in more expensive and harder to obtain oils."

So to summarize, there is no need to be pedantic about off the shelf synthetics like Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Magatec , or Mobil 1 not being "true" FS, their performance is already VERY close to Group IV(Amsoil/REDLINE/ RP) In fact, it has been shown that additives blend in better with the lower base oil. You will be hard pressed to tell a difference at 10000km OCI.
To cap this, let me show you a video.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My VRC club members most of them use SS 10w40 only. Myself have also switch to HDEO 15w40 for my old VR engine.....lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I guess there is an assumption by most people that Group 3 syns are not real synthetic , in a way that's true. Btw a semi syn is a grp II oil mixed with at least 30% group III.
The argument about group 3 being not real FS began in 1999 when castrol marketed their Syntec Group 3 (hydrocracked mineral) .
Excerpt :
"In the late 1990s, Castrol started selling an oil made from Group III base oil and called it SynTec Full Synthetic. Mobil sued Castrol, asserting that this oil was not synthetic, but simply a highly refined petroleum oil, and therefore it was false advertising to call it synthetic. In 1999, Mobil lost their lawsuit. It was decided that the word "synthetic" was a marketing term and referred to properties, not to production methods or ingredients. Castrol continues to make SynTec out of Group III base oils, that is highly purified oil with most all of the cockroach bits removed.

Shortly after Mobil lost their lawsuit, most oil companies started reformulating their synthetic oils to use Group III base stocks instead of PAOs or diester stocks as their primary component. Most of the "synthetic oil" you can buy today is actually mostly made of this highly-distilled and purified dino-juice called Group III oil. Group III base oils cost about half as much as the synthetics. By using a blend of mostly Group III oils and a smaller amount of "true" synthetics, the oil companies can produce a product that has nearly the same properties as the "true" synthetics, and nearly the same cost as the Group III oil. In fact, Mobil-1 is now primarily made from Group III unconventional base oils, exactly the stuff Mobil was claiming was not really synthetic. The much more expensive traditional synthetics are now available in their pure forms only in more expensive and harder to obtain oils."

So to summarize, there is no need to be pedantic about off the shelf synthetics like Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Magatec , or Mobil 1 not being "true" FS, their performance is already VERY close to Group IV(Amsoil/REDLINE/ RP) In fact, it has been shown that additives blend in better with the lower base oil. You will be hard pressed to tell a difference at 10000km OCI.
To cap this, let me show you a video.
We don't have to be pedantic very true!

But additives are not equal. RP and some other brands like Rock oil have been proven to be effective against high heat situations such as track days and are more stable in those environments.

Having said that for everyday road-going cars - you're right. No point fussing over brands and stuff.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Use the right oil for the right situation, just like tyres, even normal comfort tyres for daily is not a problem, until you try to track them......lol

Oct 23, 2017
mentkab
Does anyone knowingly use FAKE engine oil?
No , because some of the people will buy the low price engine oil and ask the workshop change for them without oversee the progress... They also did not know that the oil is fake one, as the low price engine oil is very high risk

Rickman

Oct 23, 2017
Temerloh
Well the advantage of FS oil are supposedly better engine protection and longer oil change intervals ( for example if semi needs to be change
aat 5k or 7.5k km then FS can last up to 10, 15, some even 20k km or more!) So now depends on what FS oil is given and how much is the price. Not all FS oil are the same, some are still very close to semi as they're group 3, some are more pure and above group 3 category and also more expensive.

For me, I use FS oils also on all my cars but try find those branded ones at cheap promotion prices. For example Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 at only rm90-100/btl during promotion at Giant.
So it still got the different between full and semi synthetic, i thought they just set the price different as the label also different... One more thing, is the engine oil from giant can be trust? i heard some rumor saying that engine oil from supermarket can be suspect as fake one, not all but risk very high.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
So it still got the different between full and semi synthetic, i thought they just set the price different as the label also different... One more thing, is the engine oil from giant can be trust? i heard some rumor saying that engine oil from supermarket can be suspect as fake one, not all but risk very high.
Already mentioned many times over..YES brand-name oils from tesco and giant can be trusted.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Giant, Tesco, Aeon ...etc also don like to rub salt on their own wound.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Personally i will buy oil from supermarket rather than spare part shop. I have been using oil from supermarket for more than 5 years on multiple make and model. I trust them more than sparepart shop. I even have no problem using Tesco brand...Oh yes i am using Tesco brand oil on my car. It all depend on whats up on sale and if it fits my criteria.

Unlike spare part shop, hypermart are more stringent on what they put on their shelf. One false move and everything is at risk. Buying from part shop have a higher risk. Go ask around and find how many shop can guarantee their oil is ori. I find it myself most of the time they themselves didnt even know if its ori or recycle.

On cheap oil, u just go and light a cigarette while observing at a spare part shop which sell those cheap oil..just observe the type of people whom buy these oil. Its either they buy for cheapo customer or for them as thats the oil they can afford or they want to use under their own will. The product is there because there are demand. Same goes for oil at Tesco.

If oil company fail to see this trend then then fail to cope. If they fail to cope then they fail to compete. When they fail to compete they start to push their sale team kaw2.once their sale team got push kaw2 they start to.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all:

Please DO NOT Post if you have nothing to say.

Due to the increasing number of useless* threads/posts/replies, It has caused much uncalled-for frustration.

This drastically stunts the growth of Zerotohundred.com as well as it reflects the maturity level of people in this part of the world.

*Useless

-Uncalled for posts/threads
-Immature posts/threads
-Non-beneficial posts/threads
-Off-topic posts
-Posts/Threads without much thought
+More will be added without prior...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience