Do you drive your Skyline everday?

Dr.D said:
i drive my skyline daily too... pj to kuala pilah.. well almost daily.. but once in the car, the fuel burning is worth every penny.. just love my skyline
pj to pilah?man that was freaking far.somemore 5am in the morning.....my godness.

Fuel consumption is too heavy. Just cant afford to keep the car man like that. :D

lol, the skyline is my only car, so no choice heh. 13-14L/100kms is quite ok lar, economy depends on tune and mood i guess. :P

wuahahh.....its fantastic man !!!!from pj to kp.....i thought i am the only guy who drive skyline doing sales everyday around KL n Klang area.....hehe

wah.. do sales AND driving a skyline.. maybe i should do sales as well.. can drive skyline wor :p

$

russwestwood said:
When Im not offshore, I drive my gtr everyday. I dont like driving in kl during the day time coz of the jams... not good for the clutch. But other than that, its still great to drive everyday, esp during the night. I only get about 200km/tank. But using V-power makes quite a diff in power. U only live once, so burn all the oil, that will stop the pollution.

You sound like a kwai lo with too much money to burn...

chris7880: Bro, your Skyline is gonna be one thats hard to sell with all the km's you're piling onto it unless you have long term plans for her.. ;)

Honesty

gobiz said:
nolah, sold for less, car wasn't completely tuned yet and i was desperate - had to come here to the UK.

scary to drive for several reasons, scared of accident, scared of breaking the engine or other parts (so scared had to spend more money on it) :embaressed_smile: .

...ah..... an honest man, who pays his own bills (no rich daddy one). One mis-shift and the ceramic turbo turns to dust and you are RMXX,000 poorer.

High ramps in car parks scratch-up or dent your titanium exhaust....getting car-jacked at the petrol station.......

Servicing the LSD's cant be cheap...try daily driving when your R34 GTR is in the w/shop waiting for parts...

A nice dent in the 18 inch TE37 from a pot hole? = RM10k?

Power window mechanism failure......?

How many litres is an oil change? 6 litres (with oil cooler ) = RM500+... (one a month for a daily driven turbo?).Spark plugs (M3's cost RM1,000/- a pop)

Tire change - every six months? Cant last too long with a heavy foot and 2000kg chassis

Just basic maintenance skyline and petrol is going to suck "poor" people wallet dry - PJ-KL petrol work = RM1200 to RM1,800 + RM1000 (routine maintenance : oil + plugs) + dented rims... + RM3,000 per month average (excluding HP installment - RM3,000) = RM6,0000 ====> before any serious tuning.

=> Daily driver R34 GTR must be - rich

So how rich do you have to be own a skyline - since its not pratical for most dude to drive everyday, you gotta to be damn rich to keep it as a 2nd car.......

successful business man
professional - doctor, architect, consultant, banker etc
...others professions (can't mention)......

Last edited:
Johnny_9 said:
Servicing the LSD's cant be cheap...try daily driving when your R34 GTR is in the w/shop waiting for parts...

kaazoil.jpg

Do it yourself... takes less than half a day to open up the diff and clean up the spider gears. I have a live axle though, no fancy IRS to deal with.

Power window mechanism failure......?

Fixed a jammed window caused by a dead motor before, takes like half an hour to swap the motor over.

How many litres is an oil change? 6 litres (with oil cooler ) = RM500+... (one a month for a daily driven turbo?).Spark plugs (M3's cost RM1,000/- a pop)

Um... a 5+1 litre bottle of Mobil 1 0W-30 shouldn't cost more than RM200, plus RM50 for an oil filter? I do mine once every 5000kms, and the oil isn't even fully black. If you can't even change your own oil then you shouldn't be driving anything with a turbo, much less a GT-R.

NGK Iridium sparks should cost no more than RM400 for a set of 6, and these last for more than a year. Takes fuk all time to change, remove coil packs, unscrew sparks with a ratchet, swap with new sparks and all done.

Tire change - every six months? Cant last too long with a heavy foot and 2000kg chassis

An R34 GT-R weighs around 1.5 tons and features rear biased AWD, which gives it fairly even thread wear. Provided you don't do burnouts, drifts or attend track days I'm fairly sure your tyres will last for more than a year.

Just basic maintenance skyline and petrol is going to suck "poor" people wallet dry - PJ-KL petrol work = RM1200 to RM1,800 + RM1000 (routine maintenance : oil + plugs) + dented rims... + RM3,000 per month average (excluding HP installment - RM3,000) = RM6,0000 ====> before any serious tuning.

Grossly exaggerated mate. :Not_Impressed:

Last edited:
Johnny_9 said:
You sound like a kwai lo with too much money to burn...

Hey Johnny boy, first of all, do you own a skyline??? Secondly, Im not a kwai lo, thirdly, if u dont have money to pay for petrol & maintenance for a GTR, you shouldnt buy a GTR, get a diesel or a kanchil. And lastly, if I have too much money to burn, I would have 2 Buggati Veyrons parked in the driveway, a Zonda Pagani for the little one to play with on weekends, and an Enzo for the missus. For God's sake, its just a bloody car, and if I have to do some overtime to be able to afford it, its my problem. So if u dont appreciate this machine for the purpose of its built, then thats too bad mate.. You have my sympathy..

Last edited:
an Enzo for me? thank you baby.. how sweet..... awwwwwwwwwww.... muahahahahaha!

Last edited:
Hmmm...?

Just realized his profile says he owns a RS4... isn't that meant to be a V8? For him to be complaining about the cost of keeping a Skyline is kinda like the pot calling the kettle black, no?

Hi guys, :)
I thot my RB26 with open pod and 4 inch straight exhaust system is kaput when I could only make around 5kms per litre untill I heard all ur stories... thanx guys..
but if i am not mistaken the oficial GTR Fuel Consumption is 20 mile to a gallon... I never get this..

Nice one Skyther, good to know there are people out there who take care & look after their machines all by themselves.. respect.
Pudin, 20mpg? Haha.. whats that about 9km/liter? Be lucky to get 4½km/liter i think.. I think the official consuption figure are only for stock machines, and driving like, as Jeremy Clarkson would call, a 'christian driver'. Hehe, a bit hard to do in such an exciting car! God forgive us!

Thanks guys, its just a bit stoopid rite when an assumed V8 "owner" comes in to talk crap about skyline maintainence.

skyther said:
http://www.kaazusa.com/KAAZ%20USA%20-%20faq_files/content_faq_files/kaazoil.jpg

Do it yourself... takes less than half a day to open up the diff and clean up the spider gears. I have a live axle though, no fancy IRS to deal with.

Fixed a jammed window caused by a dead motor before, takes like half an hour to swap the motor over.

Um... a 5+1 litre bottle of Mobil 1 0W-30 shouldn't cost more than RM200, plus RM50 for an oil filter? I do mine once every 5000kms, and the oil isn't even fully black. If you can't even change your own oil then you shouldn't be driving anything with a turbo, much less a GT-R.

NGK Iridium sparks should cost no more than RM400 for a set of 6, and these last for more than a year. Takes fuk all time to change, remove coil packs, unscrew sparks with a ratchet, swap with new sparks and all done.

An R34 GT-R weighs around 1.5 tons and features rear biased AWD, which gives it fairly even thread wear. Provided you don't do burnouts, drifts or attend track days I'm fairly sure your tyres will last for more than a year.

Grossly exaggerated mate. :Not_Impressed:

Bro,

You have some really good points man although i gotta disagree with some of them.

1. Takes less than half a day to replace the oil and clean up your diff.
It will actually take more than that and not to mention you need the right equipment and the jack to lift the rear end up. On top of that, if attempted the first time, you might end up making a big mess of your driveway. Malaysians also generally have the notion of not doing these things themselves when labour is readily available at an affordable price as opposed to AUS.

2. For someone with no idea, it takes half an hour just to take the door trim off. Took me half an hour to figure out how to get the door trim off the first time.

Esp if you're afraid to pry things too hard for fear of breaking clips.

3. I would really disagree with not driving a turbocharged vehicle or a GTR if you do not know how to change your own black oil as once again, that requires the right tools and the initiative to get it done which doesnt contribute to your ability to properly maintain or operate a turbocharged vehicle or a GTR for that matter.

I feel that in a sense, there are two types of people out there who would buy GTR's.

1. An enthusiast who loves cars and enjoys understanding the various aspects of how a car works and the underlying mechanicals of the car.

2. A person that enjoys driving and utilizing the power aspect of a turbocharged car without fussing about the mechanical aspects of the car. All he wants to know is how fast the car is and how well it handles and how to treat it right.

I personally know more in the 2nd category than in the first so they wouldnt bother themselves with how to change the oil and rather just know when to change it and bring it in.

Afterall, once again, the culture in malaysia isnt to get it done yourself thanks to our hot weather which isnt conducive to you working on your car in your porch.

Not to mention the additional fact that if you could afford a GTR in Malaysia and the maintenance attached, you probably have more important things to do with your time than to stay home and work on your GTR.

3. NGK Iriway 8 Iridium plugs made for turbo cars, and Iriway 7 for N/A cars cost somewhat more than Rm400 bro.. Plus if someone isnt somewhat familiar, adjusting the gaps might be a problem and once again, the tools. One might not even know what a coilpack looks like or where to look for the spark plugs.

4. I gotta agree with you on the tires. They will definitely go beyond a year even with a moderate amount of track use. I can testify to this from experience both in Australia and in KL although some say that the heat in KL accelerates tire wear when tracking due to the heat in the ground. I dont know for sure lar...

5. I think the consumption is also somewhat overstated as i get a good 300kms out of a full tank now after my recent tune.

More power and more consumption. Can you imagine? Probably much leaner but nevertheless.

At the end of the day, driving a GTR is fine provided you have the money to get it properly maintained. You cant rely on being able to do everything yourself to save money so you could have a GTR, and definitely not in Malaysia where it doesnt really make much of a difference seeing that labour is cheap.

Essentially, sometimes doing it yourself might cost you more money. I tried to save money on my R33 last time in Australia and took apart the center console and took out my headunit.

Tried to put in a new head unit, got all the wires soldered up but i used the wrong wire for earthing and ended up blowing some fuses which cost me more money and inconvenience than letting Alberts do it for a fee.

So sometimes it really isnt as easy as it seems.. Ive broken my fair share of door panel trim clips and even broken a t-pin when trying to install a BOV myself.

Believe me. Its annoying and more trouble than its worth but hey, a student on a budget's gotta do what a student on a budget's gotta do.

Anyhow, all said and done, a GTR provides the most fun per dollar cost and if you can live with that, great. If not, maybe consider something else.

Lastly, i believe that high end continental cars like the RS4, M5 and Porsche Cayenne S (while we're sticking on the N/A field) are more economical when it comes to consumption in comparison to GTR's.

RM110 for a full tank of V-Power on my somewhat mild tune 34 GTR gets me close to 300kms.

RM150 for a full tank of V-Power on the Cayenne S gets me a good 450 - 500kms.

Sometimes more if driving long distances.

Yeah, I understand your point completely but in all honesty I wouldn't trust some random mechanic to work on my car, much less an import unless it's for suspension or gearbox work. When it comes to opening a diff up or changing sparks all you really need is a socket ratchet, as for the ramp but you can get a set here for under AUD50 during Supercheap's specials. Ditto on the door clips, I've broken a few but I have spares from the door cards off another skyline that I wrecked.

There are technical manual for the R31 which will basically illustrate the steps to assemble the car from scratch, they come up on ebay every now and then, or else I'm sure Tan Chong can order a copy in for you.

With the iridiums, I have NGK Iridium IX on mine, gapped at 0.9mm. Iriway/tops are probably more expensive, but no one carries it around here so I can't comment. With spark plugs it's not an exact science, I know people who swear by copper plugs because they reckon that it's a better conductor and hence provide better ignition, whereas IMO I felt that the iridiums gave the engine better response than the previous extended life coppers that I had. Some people claim shorter gaps are suited for high horsepower applications, but where's the proof?

It all depends on just how willing you are to get your hands dirty. Every workshop will have a quota of cars to finish each day and every car fixed will be a rushed job.

As to fuel consumption, I reckon that it's not really fair to compare a tuned GT-R with an RS4. What exactly would a mild tune be, intake, zorst and chip? Heck, some people consider 300rwkw to be a mild tune. While the RS4 might be an N/A, it's in the same class as an M5 which I'm pretty sure have similar fuel and maintainence costs as a GT-R, if not higher.

heh hehh.. i dun really think that the V8 owner is trying to crap on ur godzillas.. i just think he want to share some problem or things to be aware about when having a monster in ur garrage..

Of course he might even went a lil bit too far.. but I think there's some truth in it esp when it's a GTR.
1) Gas guzzler at average of 300km pertank.. You can get further but what's the point of driving a GTR when u cannot floor the bitch.

2) Maintenance - Of course u need to spend a lot than normal.. it's a supercar.
3) Most of the owner are rich - Anybody that could afford RM 200K ++ car is rich to me when average middle working class malaysian are very proud with their wajas and gen 2.
4) As for daily drivable to office in KL is just a matter of choice with some disadvantages eg. Heavy OS giken, fuel consumption, safe parking space, the agony to see those kancils sneering at u while overtaking you in a Jam etc.. but not because it's an unreliable piece of metal..

Skyline rocks
Peace man :)

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom