career as a drifter

Oct 13, 2005
what r the prospects can one expects to hv in drifting? does the pro drifters in D1 get paid big bucks ? i mean can a person actually get rich by drifting as a career ? thanks for your opinion :_:

Pie_Wira_AB

Known Member
Oct 28, 2005
no...it's like a hobby even they dont get any bucks for it....some people like to drift,some like drag...it's just the challenges that make them like to drift...like driving fast....some people like to drive fast even when they know they dont get any money for it....get saman instead...money habis on petrol....but still they wanna drive fast......it's just the same as drift...

Eiki

Known Member
Aug 8, 2004
-
garyfirex said:
what r the prospects can one expects to hv in drifting? does the pro drifters in D1 get paid big bucks ? i mean can a person actually get rich by drifting as a career ? thanks for your opinion :_:

WhAt a Go0d QueStion! :_:

Last edited:

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
In M'sia its difficult to become full time race driver or drifter.

If you look at the local talents like the Khong family or Karamjit Singh, etc, all of them have day jobs.

The main reason unfortunately is sponsorship.

Very few local companies are interested to sponsor race teams or drivers/drifters.

Sky_Legend

Known Member
Jul 30, 2005
Penang
As far as i know, to become a professional in any sports (drifting or racing is considered as a sport) is very very tough here. One has to take it up as a hobby first, then spend spend spend as much as ur pocket has. try best to become popular. enter all races by urself, sometimes with teams. then try to get sponsors, which is damn super hard. then earn little from the competition. if lucky enough, join a well marketable team, race to earn. it's a long way la. not easy.

it's the same to professional sportsmen. the difference might be that other sports are supported and recognized by government. joining national team lo. and more sponsors if they see the competition is worth for them to advertise their products.

hehe...but we don't have national drift team though? unless privately go la...haha

garyfirex

Oct 13, 2005
thanks for the info's guys..its quite sad really to c the situation here..all the good talents never get the recognition they deserved..for newbies its even harder to make a name for themselves..to enter a competition would need big bucks.

for the experienced drifters, what r the chances of them going to other country like the US or japan, getting sponsored n making it big there?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Garyfirex,

There is always a chance to make big-time. The one question that you have to answer to yourself honestly is : what are the special talent/skill that you have being a drifter compared to others drifters? What so special abt yourself, compared to the rest of the good drifters? Just honestly ask yourself....

garyfirex

Oct 13, 2005
haha honestly , im just started to get interested in the world of drifting, not even hv a rwd car yet :) but certainly would love to get one n try it in the near future..therefore im curious about the prospects n the stuffs about drifting..still a long long way to go :_:

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
garyfirex:

A good question pointed out here buddie. thnx. But in our country, "Drifter" position and profession is being in early stage and this falls under hobbies category. Because we dont have real motorsports branch under malaysian government which offers "DRIFT" as a part of race. Just small organisation involved into it and i suppose it has been heard into governments ears and being processed.

They may make DRIFT as a official events in Malaysian Official Motorsports category soon, and we all hoping so. This will put DRIFT as same line into Rally, Formula 3000, AFOS and even Formula 1.

As now, current amateur n professional drifters we seeing with our eyes are fighting hard to make this as a successfull event and a very good thanks to ZTH as well.

Drifters at the moment are spending and gathering titles and i suppose a little amount of credits and cash of their hardwork throughout the day! (Correct me if wrong real drifters).

Together we support DRIFT and its affiliates!

Happy Motoring!

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
sakuraguy said:
This will put DRIFT as same line into Rally, Formula 3000, AFOS and even Formula 1.
In Malaysia, you cannot survive if you are full time race driver or drifter even if your are involve in those league of motorsports

Formula 1? Alex Yong?
Although he had sponsorshop from a few major companies, his family still had to spend hundreds of thousands to get in into the cockpit of the Minardi.

AFOS?
Most of them are part time race drivers, full time businessmen, business entrepeuneurs, singer, actors, filial son of mutlti million father, etc.

Rally? Karamjit Singh.
He is APRC champion but is he getting the reckonition he deserves? AFAIK, He has to work to subsidies his racing career.

DOn't talk about being a race driver, being a full fledge racing motorsports workshop is impossible to survive.

Talk to ANY tuner or motorsport workshop and ask them if they can survive by purely doing only motorsports related work(performance modifications, race tuning, etc) in Malaysia.

THe answer is a big NO.

Maybe in future, but at this point in time, I can say its impossible to give up our day jobs and be a full time race driver / drifter. (Unless your family is rich and you have millions of ringgit of trust fund)

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
here is not japan so u cant get a good career and a good living from drifting thought u win D1 grand prix./..no not in malaysia at least...

minicooper2u

Known Member
Jul 17, 2006
drifter,1 of my friend over drift,tryin pull cheepo stunts in a small compact car(i forget car name) big talker,when come to pulling stunts.....he have dragged 2 of his members along,quite a pitty. lucky they are still alive.....
he is yet to learn the word, what coners drift along goes along.
i wish he can proof himself again to all his friends he not loser,that he have let all down.
message also goes out to all his friends that suk with him.
but althought you a cock talker,but action speaks louder than words...
now he is in Japan & can eat all the burker Kings he wants...
haapy drifto!
itose san

kufaisal

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
www.myspace.com
emmmm....nice topic to discuss...well...in malaysia susah laaa....drifting in malaysia is still in early stage...so maybe 1 day la....just wait and see...i hope so...and everybody hope so!!!!

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
Now very hard la....Drifting in Malaysia in just baby stage. Started to grow oni. Might end up strop growing also. Who knows???

U c some Japan D1 drivers r actually GT drivers(example:orido) wic has full time contract wif their GT racing companies.