Accident : Police Report?

Mar 21, 2007
Hi, I wonder if this is the appropriate section or even the right forum to post this. Need some help from those with experience in accident cases.

Are all accidents even a very minor one need to be reported? I had a minor accident this morning while turning into another lane and this car knocked my rear bumper (on bumper corner). The driver said forget it. So, should I report or not? If don't, what if he eventually go to make a police report?

Only scratches found on both cars. Am I at fault in the eyes of law? Because my friends told me the car who knock ppl's back is always at fault. Please advise.

mini clubman DF9818

500 RPM
Dec 5, 2005
if the another driver said forget it then is ok la......
make report is just for those who need to claim their insurance......
if in the same lane ppl who knock ur rear is his fault....but at above u say u turning into another line n then ppl knock u is ur fault.......coz ppl is in their lane n u juz going into ppl lane.........

BluecluBBy

Known Member
Apr 3, 2006
The law is that whoever who's front bumper is behind the car other are at fault no matter how you drive..fast or not
logically the person driving behind must see any object which is in front and should keep a distance.
All accident report must be made within 24Hrs to be valid.
If the opponent made a police report and you don't even though he's in the wrong you will be fined RM300.
Please check with the police whether that this accident has been filed or not.

mini clubman DF9818

500 RPM
Dec 5, 2005
The law is that whoever who's front bumper is behind the car other are at fault no matter how you drive..fast or not
logically the person driving behind must see any object which is in front and should keep a distance.
If the opponent made a police report and you don't even though he's in the wrong you will be fined RM300.

Bro,

yes u r right tat "whoever who's front bumper is behind the car other are at fault no matter how you drive..fast or not" but tis is juz valid when both car is in the same lane.....

now our dude situation is he is change into another lane n ppl hit his rear bumper, so according to the law is our dude fault....u will get a saman tat "gagal memberi laluan semasa menukar lorong jalan"

"If the opponent made a police report and you don't even though he's in the wrong you will be fined RM300".........tis is oso depends on the situation....if it is serious case then u will be fined.....but now our dude's accident is very minor n another ppl tat avoid in the accident oso settle d......

so all will be fine dude........

drMpower

May 1, 2006
if he said 'just forget it'. then it is okay. there is no worry about he's going to do police report or not. he definitely wont be reporting anything.

but, if you got into accident, and both of u want to report, then the police will charge some hundred RM - charging both for unresponsible drivers - before proceeding to find who's fault it is.

but, in ur case, definitely u dont have to worry.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
but, if you got into accident, and both of u want to report, then the police will charge some hundred RM - charging both for unresponsible drivers - before proceeding to find who's fault it is.
nothing to pay la..traffic officer will just issue a summon to the fault driver...RM300 for tat summon. after less is RM200.

report police only if u canot settle on the spot or need to claim insurance.

my2cent

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
yes indeed.. but, if u switch lane without proper signaling n without proper distance from the car at the back.. its ur fault.. the person driving behind can n have the rights to ask the police officers to investigate(usually,dont have to ask,the police will compare the statement given by both drivers).. the police will run somesort of a simulation test... measure distance n speed n take photos of how the impact happened n etc to decide,to see whether who's really at fault..

there are also other scenario of hitting the back, n its not the back persons fault..
e.g. When u approach a roundabout.. have u ever experience almost hitting a bike upon entering it.. which u thought wasnt even there b4 while ur so bz 'TAKING CARE OF THE VEHICLE ON UR RIGHT'? is it ur fault?

drMpower

May 1, 2006
aaaa???

nothing to pay la..traffic officer will just issue a summon to the fault driver...RM300 for tat summon. after less is RM200.

report police only if u canot settle on the spot or need to claim insurance.

my2cent

my friend, which currently sitting beside me, got into this thing early this year.

what happen was that, his Avanza got hit at the back by one Indian guy. They wanted to settle things outside balai, but the Indian fella wanted to pay only very small money. something like RM 80-100. of course my friend said not enough (he is a nice guy, dont want to extra charge, but to repair the damaged bumper only)

then they went to Parit Buntar Polis Station, and one very nice polisman said if they insist of reporting to them (police), then he had to charge both of them some money for being irresponsible road users. That policeman gave my friend and the Indian some time to sort out/ think.

So, they settled things out of balai.

myviowner

Mar 21, 2007
After compiling all the info from friends. Few points to consider / discuss :-

1. Our friend in blue uniform will only carry out investigation for fatal accident / serious injury. So many accidents happen in a day, quite an impossible task to do that sort of simulation for every case.

2. Some drivers even at fault, will make a false report saying people knocked from the back. Even though they changed lane and got hit from behind. The car behind with the "right of way" will be summoned innocently. Unless they have a witness or engaged an attorney to protest. What's your thought over this?

3. "Right of way" is really confused. Does that mean any "samseng" out there can purposely accelerate and bang your car for a revenge or something just because they have "right of way" (Even when you know there's a safe distance to change lane).

4. If couldn't decide which side at fault, both side will be fined RM150 each. How true is this?

The above are just word of mouth from others, I will not be responsible for any wrong information. I end up does not report because it was a really minor minor one.

BluecluBBy

Known Member
Apr 3, 2006
You're right on the no 1: matter

no:2 This is what i'm trying to say, there's no car from behind has a "right of way"
this is what defensive driving is all about. the person who is at the back always at fault- trust me... i been through this case. Police will tell you to get a lawyer to sue if you're not satisfied, but first you got to pay the summon

no3: as stated above - situation is they don't care what had actually happened...the person who bang is at fault.
If don't believe me, please go ask the traffic officer.

no:4 police will take sometime for the report to come out then they would issue the summon RM300 to the person at fault.
if even you are in the right but without making a report within 24hrs, you'll be the one to pay if the other party did make a report.

my advice is just go to the nearest police station to check if any report has been made by the other party.

just my little advice, people here please don't get offended by it although logically you think you're in the right but this is reality which i encountered

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
well i have happen to met with sum police officers that have moral n ethics when it comes to an accident.. n dont just blinly follow the book...

gogogo

Known Member
May 9, 2006
no matter u r right or wrong, making a report after 24 hours i sure u will receive a saman from police.
i been through this b4. few year ago (can't recall when), when i driving a car waiting for my turn to cross a roundabout (near subang taylor) suddenly hitting by a kancil from back. after nego and the driver promise to pay. we decide to goto my workshop at sunway tomorro.
after estimate by workshop (+-800 - 1000) together with the driver, he said need some time 2 get fun, and never show him self later.
have no choice to report later (maybe after 1 week), and get a saman for RM 300.00 just for being so kind and trustful.
the most worst is, to get the "keputusan" from the police (sarjan) needed to pay "Yam Chai" if no ............ Slow Slow and wait lah.......................
this is only part of my story for this cases.

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
myviowner,
You shoulda reversed your car harder after he bang you and break your rear bumper. Then get him to pay you for the damages or you'll report police, where he'll get even more trouble. Else, ask him to buy you a Toyota passo bumper. hahaha

mini clubman DF9818

500 RPM
Dec 5, 2005
this is what defensive driving is all about. the person who is at the back always at fault- trust me... i been through this case. Police will tell you to get a lawyer to sue if you're not satisfied, but first you got to pay the summon

no3: as stated above - situation is they don't care what had actually happened...the person who bang is at fault.
If don't believe me, please go ask the traffic officer.
ok i will go to ask the traffic officer......but im working in a claim workshop so many reports i hv read b4 n so many type of accident tat i get fr the reports.......so who is the right n is the wrong i think i no need to talk anymore....juz refer to my previous post..........hahahaha

myviowner

Mar 21, 2007
Something really UNFAIR happened today.

Similar case, but in a totally different side. This morning, being on the two lane main road, one careless driver suddenly drive into my way and I knocked his rear corner bumper.

My front whole part got badly damage. So I had to stay at the scene for extra long time while calling a tow car. The other party with slight damage went to make a police report before me.

Guess what happen when I was making the report? Our blue uniform friend told me they have snapped the scene and analyzed that it was MY fault. Wanted me to signed on the report that they have made themselves and compounded me. I believe something "fishy" happens in there! Everything like has been "setup" to put the blame on me.

I have nothing else to stay, really. Perhaps living in a wrong country?

*** I use "I" in this scenario for the ease-of-understanding. It actually happened to my brother who is quite ignorance about accident and just signed blindly on the police report. I was thinking even if he does not sign it, we can't change the situation around and our case might have to be dragged for months / if not forever. Sad case.

Disclaimer : All that I have said in the forum might not be the actual situation. Please do not take it seriously and I could be wrong. (To protect my butt, just incase).

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does anybody knows where to get bump stops/rubber stopper for HWL MYVI coilovers?

Currently, im facing issues with tyre scraping fender for the rear part as my rims are wide with low offset and the rear coilovers are abit soft...

i've been advised to either roll fenders or install bump stop to prevent excessive movement of absorber.

If anyone here selling or knows a place where i can get them, do drop a reply here

Im located in KL/PJ

Many thanks in advance fellow petrol heads...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience