4th gear impossible to redline..

Jan 27, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Need help from expert, sifus and experienced owner of neo.

First. My car is 2006 neo 1.6l Manual non cps NA. Engine is 180k++ mileage. I didnt enjoy city driving but always get excited when driving in highway. From my experienced as an owner, the sweetest part when im driving this car is when accelerating from 120+/4k+rpm till 190/redline in the 4th gear. Its the most enjoyable unforgettable moment of driving this car. The 5th is useless but still can reach 210++... in about 1 hour/from top of mountain..

The problem is, as i remember, during the mileage clocked at around 100k (about 3 years ago), i feel like it did not accelerate like it normaly does after 4k rpm. It only happened to the 4th gear.
Previously, my car can reach the redline easily in the 4th gear. The 1st,2nd and 3rd are still going strong but the 5th can only reach 190. Ive change the air filter, plugs as suggested by mechanic but still the same. I dont want to mod to solve this issue.

Just need some input. What happen to the 4th gear? Or the engine is too old olready because its have reach 180k now. But if the engine have power lost, why i can still redline easy in other gears?

Thanks to anyone who like to share...

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
A lots of things could be involved in your car's situation, make it short.. Since the day one we bought our car we're producing tear and wear from in and out, young man walk faster than old man thou..
At 180k++ mileage is better don't rev so hard if engine blown your car end up towing to garage.

Major suspect your case, clutch condition and rim size..

Neo07

Jan 27, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I changed my clucth plate already but not so recent.... maybe around 150k km ago.. i can feel that the clutch is ok.. no slipping or loose..
other than clutch plate, what other parts that normaly wear off..
For piston ring, does that mean overhauling the engine? Does people overhaul engine when it have reach certain mileage? How about campro... what is the mileage to overhaul?

for the injector clogged, i think ill ask mech to check it out someday.

I keep everything factory standard except for the manifold crack olready so mech suggest change to 421 extractor cap tupai.. thats it. everything else is standard gaban with the standard 16' turbine rim.
195/45/16 tyres..

Should i overhaul? Does people overhaul to solve power lost issue?

p/s; heavy white smoke came out from ejos sometimes..

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
White smoke possibly indicates you are burning engine oil.....
IS there any drop in engine oil? from dipstick indication?

1.6 NA isn't designed to rembat 120 to 190.
You are accelerating the rate of wear and tear of the engine.

Some engine do 3000rpm to make 110kph. Travel for 2 hours.
Some engine do 3800rpm to make 110kph. Travel for 2 hours.
Some conti engine just do 2200rpm to make 110kph. Travel for 2 hours.

Over a same distance, guess which engine has more wear and tear?
For your case, high revving accelerate the wear and tear even more, thus losing power.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I keep everything factory standard except for the manifold crack olready so mech suggest change to 421 extractor cap tupai..
ha.. finally mentioned something you've mod.. 421 produce torque*hp compare with the stock 4-1 rpm*hp, is normal cause 421 dosen't makes your car rev happy but gaining torque.
Heavy white smoke only at cold? It's just steam vapour from the exhaust since not stock exhaust manifold anymore, i think there's no catalytic converter anymore.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Need help from expert, sifus and experienced owner of neo.

First. My car is 2006 neo 1.6l Manual non cps NA. Engine is 180k++ mileage. I didnt enjoy city driving but always get excited when driving in highway. From my experienced as an owner, the sweetest part when im driving this car is when accelerating from 120+/4k+rpm till 190/redline in the 4th gear. Its the most enjoyable unforgettable moment of driving this car. The 5th is useless but still can reach 210++... in about 1 hour/from top of mountain..

The problem is, as i remember, during the mileage clocked at around 100k (about 3 years ago), i feel like it did not accelerate like it normaly does after 4k rpm. It only happened to the 4th gear.
Previously, my car can reach the redline easily in the 4th gear. The 1st,2nd and 3rd are still going strong but the 5th can only reach 190. Ive change the air filter, plugs as suggested by mechanic but still the same. I dont want to mod to solve this issue.

Just need some input. What happen to the 4th gear? Or the engine is too old olready because its have reach 180k now. But if the engine have power lost, why i can still redline easy in other gears?

Thanks to anyone who like to share...
1st to 3rd can still redline because gear ratio is higher. If 4th hard to reach means engine power is lacking, need to send for check up.
Like bro. desmond mentioned, is white smoke in the morning only? If yes, could be water vapor only, but if during your normal run then is oil burning. Any loss in engine oil level?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I changed my clucth plate already but not so recent.... maybe around 150k km ago.. i can feel that the clutch is ok.. no slipping or loose..
other than clutch plate, what other parts that normaly wear off..
For piston ring, does that mean overhauling the engine? Does people overhaul engine when it have reach certain mileage? How about campro... what is the mileage to overhaul?

for the injector clogged, i think ill ask mech to check it out someday.

I keep everything factory standard except for the manifold crack olready so mech suggest change to 421 extractor cap tupai.. thats it. everything else is standard gaban with the standard 16' turbine rim.
195/45/16 tyres..

Should i overhaul? Does people overhaul to solve power lost issue?

Wah.. 150k km? Your clutch lasts forever! Mine habis after 80k km. :biggrin:

Just look for the Bluechem injector cleaner additive or if you have the budget send your car to a shop that has the injector pressure cleaner machine. They usually charge about RM80 to RM100 per injector to clear. So prepare about RM400 if you opt for the machine. It's better than using injector cleaner additives la.. but there are some injector cleaners that do apparently work (like the bluechem one) so might be worthwhile trying.

If you're getting constant white smoke then your piston rings habis. Usually top overhaul (cylinder head and head gasket) people do around 100k km. Full overhaul about 200k km. Constant white smoke means your piston rings are goners. If it's short while, morning cold start smoke - it's normal (sort of).

Usually when people do a top overhaul (or a full overhaul), the head is sent for skimming so when they do that you'll increase compression a little and that increase will definitely feel like more power.

nitsuj79

Nov 9, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Do consider checking your engine compression to make sure it is fine before you open up anything (which will cost you). Did this happen after you install the 4-2-1 extractor?

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
If 421 extractor, you will have hard time to redline especially at higher gears. Normally if want to play high Rev, should use 4-1.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

got a question, how we can know whether our spark plug had better ignition after we add on something like better ignition coil / spark booster?

i saw in carrefour there's a small device to let customer to see how the spark like after add the extra things...so how we goonna test it in car? can we just take out 1 spark plug and see how it fire?

maybe a bit silly but i think this is the best way to prove whether the booster things we added are useful or not...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience