Redline Lightweight ShockProof Tranny Oil

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Have anyone used Redline Lightweight ShockProof transmission oil on their ride before? Currently am using Redline MT-90 and still get the dreaded 5th gear crunch. The shockproof receive some good reviews in SAU and wonders if anyone here tried it.

I am worried as the oil is a GL5 whereas the manual recommends GL4 for the R34.

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
Hmmm....Have you try Motul? So far I am happy with it, in fact, my brake fluid, engine and transmission oil are now all using Motul. But, you better ask for the highest grade from among its range as GTR transmission and engine are very hot and need the best grade!
Have you check you clutch? As I don't think the oil will solve the problems (might ease a little), Semperfi last time having problems with his clutch (worn out) and also kind of difficult going into gear, but after changing to twin plate, problems solved!

Driftmeister

500 RPM
Jun 17, 2005
KL
been using the shockproof for quite sometime already, don't seem to have any problem with 5th gear engagement. However I usually go much slower in shifting up to 5th to be on the safe side plus im using C's short shift kit so the throw is quite tight.

S

semperfi

V-Spec,

Trial and error bro. hehehehehe. Motul is good!!!

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Nismo S-Tune and semperfi, have not tried MOTUL tranny oil. Used their engine oil once but felt they are overrated. Just a personal preference. Yeap a new clutch is something that I've been delaying due to budgetary reasons.

Driftmeister, you used the lightweight version? The 'smurf' blue stuffs? Hehehe

S

semperfi

Keep me posted with the Redline Lightweight ShockProof transmission oil. I might wanna try it out in the future.

Innocente

Known Member
Oct 28, 2006
The 5th gear crunch will always be there if you shift too quickly to the 5th on high RPM. Proven with any oils and or flywheels. haha

Driftmeister

500 RPM
Jun 17, 2005
KL
The 5th gear crunch will always be there if you shift too quickly to the 5th on high RPM. Proven with any oils and or flywheels. haha
Nismo S-Tune and semperfi, have not tried MOTUL tranny oil. Used their engine oil once but felt they are overrated. Just a personal preference. Yeap a new clutch is something that I've been delaying due to budgetary reasons.

Driftmeister, you used the lightweight version? The 'smurf' blue stuffs? Hehehe
What Innocente said is true especially for our 5 speed manual gearbox. It just kinda hard to fast shift on that gear. Been using the shockproof since my workshop has them. Fingers crossed nothing bad has happened. I would rely on Redline and Motul all the time, though they're more expensive than the rest.

snx

Known Member
May 2, 2005
KL
As far as I know, GL-5 is not compatible for the Z and some other Nissan cars because it contains additives that are corrosive to the tranny. More specifically GL-5 contains sulfur that are corrosive to brass used in the synchros.

With my case of the Z, GL-5 is harmful to the tranny and not backward compatible with GL-4 requirement.

I have no idea about R34 so better to check it up before switching to GL-5.

Liner

Known Member
May 4, 2005
Yo bro, i have used those smurf stuff before on my 5 speeder last time. Apparently, in down under, they apparently work like magic for nissan gearboxes. But this is only for the 5 speeds. It also takes a while for it to properly sit in and get things working.
It took me a few good months to really feel the difference. But then again, with speed limits so restrictive there,there is only so much i can rev.

So it should be faster here in msia. WHen is the next DILYSI session? :P

Cheers buddy

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Hi Liner, well mine is a 5 speeder. Thanks for the notes.

Next DILYSI after I solve some issues with the car. :P

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sifu,:adore:

Is Double Spot Welding n stitching good for daily drive?

can JPJ shows green flag for this because i wan to transplant engine, welds n straight bring to inspection. will i face any problems:mad::hmmmm::mad::hmmmm:?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience