1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Are your rims a perfect fit to the hub? Did you install center cone?
Previously I had this problem also. The tyre shop boss where i do my balancing, he always centralized the rims for me. Later on he manage to measure and find me some center cones. Nowadays no problem at all with balancing vibration.
On wheel balancing is good, but problem is, every time you need to remove your wheels for any repairs, the balancing runs and need to re-balance. Now on Off wheel balancing, I have no problems at all.....
my tyreman machine plastic/teflon for center hub. so the wheels fit nicely.

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I am using BMW original rims for E46, and no i didn't install any center cone. Some tyres like Falken Ziew 914 will never be balanced off wheel, it has to be done on wheel. This shitty Membat Passion tyres are good for grip but shitty in terms of comfort.

Thanks,
Ken
More than 10 years ago my friend's Falken Ziex 912 could never be balanced properly.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
More than 10 years ago my friend's Falken Ziex 912 could never be balanced properly.
Same here, the Falken Ziex 912 has to be balanced on wheel, cost me 90 bucks during that time in 2010, and the tyres are only good for the first 20,000 km's, after that it all nightmare and aquaplaning.

Thanks,
Ken

hero242

hero242

Sep 19, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all. Just following up here. Read from start till here. After all the issues and challenges u guys facing,

Is it still recommend to get E36 with 1jz now? :biggrin::biggrin:

Or should i look for the M50/M54 engine with manual gbox?

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi all. Just following up here. Read from start till here. After all the issues and challenges u guys facing,

The japanese 1jz/2jz in a BMW is still a lot of fun and it's way more powerful than any stock BMW engine you can plug in. However it's just expensive and the lessons learnt are :

1. Find a good installer and tuner, someone who knows these kind of converts inside and out.
2. That installer needs to be super familiar with the JZ engine and it's quirks. Like removing the heater hose for cyl6 is ALWAYS a bad idea.
3. Expect this to cost minimally 20k excluding the engine and gearbox cost.

Or you can opt for the boring and more straightforward M50/M54 swap which potentially has the same requirements of #1 and #2 (Bmw engines are quirky)

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008

In my case, i don't have any trouble anymore after year 2019, all things are sorted out, i am currently running the JZ E46 with 260whp with automatic gearbox without any issues. If the borders are open after don't how many years, i am planning a long haul trip into Thailand to Bangkok with my E46 for the fun of it.

hero242

hero242

Sep 19, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
In my case, i don't have any trouble anymore after year 2019, all things are sorted out, i am currently running the JZ E46 with 260whp with automatic gearbox without any issues. If the borders are open after don't how many years, i am planning a long haul trip into Thailand to Bangkok with my E46 for the fun of it.
Wow thats cool.
Am now looking for a car to use for daily. Looking for e36 with 1jz or maybe e36 325i (M50).

Recently go see a 'parked' e36 but he is overhauling the jz and doing manual conversion together.

So not in a running condition yet.

Am a bit worried to jump into the hybrid Euro car from being a P1 and Toyota user for some time.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Wow thats cool.
Am now looking for a car to use for daily. Looking for e36 with 1jz or maybe e36 325i (M50).

Recently go see a 'parked' e36 but he is overhauling the jz and doing manual conversion together.

So not in a running condition yet.

Am a bit worried to jump into the hybrid Euro car from being a P1 and Toyota user for some time.
For myself, i would rather buy a untapped BMW E36/E46 with the right engine. You will never know whether the converted car is in the right order to use as daily ... For eg, one 1jz converted BMW E46 4dr i checked before, RPM is not working, water temp is not working, and speedo meter is not working. You wouldn't want that in your daily. It's literally a shitbox even with awesome JZ engine.

Reactions: hero242

hero242

hero242

Sep 19, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
For myself, i would rather buy a untapped BMW E36/E46 with the right engine. You will never know whether the converted car is in the right order to use as daily ... For eg, one 1jz converted BMW E46 4dr i checked before, RPM is not working, water temp is not working, and speedo meter is not working. You wouldn't want that in your daily. It's literally a shitbox even with awesome JZ engine.
Yeah was thinking the same.

Now in negitiation to get a good running E36 325 with M50B25 engine, and convert it to manual.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yeah was thinking the same.

Now in negitiation to get a good running E36 325 with M50B25 engine, and convert it to manual.
Are you looking for a daily car or a project car ? There are plenty of good choices in the market for RWD car, for example, the Toyota Altezza is one of the most interesting car to own.

Reactions: hero242

hero242

hero242

Sep 19, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Are you looking for a daily car or a project car ? There are plenty of good choices in the market for RWD car, for example, the Toyota Altezza is one of the most interesting car to own.
Am looking for Daily and maybe some trackday action once in a blue moon.

Yeah i surveyed the altezza, but not cheap.. sooo i proceed with E36

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008

In terms of reliability, Altezza will be better and easier for 1JZ or 2JZ swap. E36, it's cheap to buy but for long term ownership, it's like married to a out of time supermodel wife that is very expensive to maintain with all the botox, plastics surgery, boob jobs and many more to come that will suck you dry. I am feeling it on my E46 now, in terms of the interior trims that i want to restore, dang they are not cheap.

• Haha
Reactions: minibeany

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
In terms of reliability, Altezza will be better and easier for 1JZ or 2JZ swap. E36, it's cheap to buy but for long term ownership, it's like married to a out of time supermodel wife that is very expensive to maintain with all the botox, plastics surgery, boob jobs and many more to come that will suck you dry. I am feeling it on my E46 now, in terms of the interior trims that i want to restore, dang they are not cheap.
yeah but when the supermodel works she works you'll be orgasming all the way to the track and all the jealous looks from other dudes with their plain jane wives.... i mean cars.... is epic.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

If you're gonna daily her, e36 1jz/2jz will have one fundamental issue and that's a super hot engine. Air con will not work in a jam, things break faster cuz it's hotter, etc. You'll need to spend a lot on trying to reduce engine bay temps cuz the JZ brothers are hot chicks. Really hot chicks.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i now use original VR4 wiring i think i will change it because have many problem ,i think i will change to evo 3 wiring but i scary that will have the same problem like engine just shut off.. ... timing no like shit... so what do i need to do....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience