SCAM Or NOT SCAM? Hard to differentiate?

Another scammer. Nowadays guys just beware. They will SMS u and tell you to e-mail them. Believe to be from the same syndicate. This people roam around car for sale websites.

Here is one I received lately. Btw, he goes by the name Susan Yoo but have a wife in China. Lesbians?

SMS: Hello bro, pls tell me more about your car on oto.my, what's your final price? Please reply to my email on [email protected] because i don't use whatsapp, Susan

E-mailed the details about the car and lowest I can offer.

This is his/her reply through E-Mail-

Susan -
Thanks for the mail...I am ready to buy it now for my wife in China however due to the nature of my work, I am unable to call at the moment. I would make the full payment to you as soon as possible and after you receive your money, I will inform my shipper to come over and meet you to settle the registration transfer papers with JPJ. Kindly get back to me with answers to the following questions;

1) What is the condition and why are you selling?
2) Are you the Owner?
3) Pick up Location address for me to forward it to the pick up agent for them to schedule time and the date for the pick up?
4) What is the price of the car in USD (United States Dollars) ?
5) Do you have paypal account or you prefer to receive payment into your Malay Bank account?

If you do not have a PayPal account, you can register for a new one just to receive your money (it is easy, fast, very secure and it should only take 3 minutes to create an account on the PayPal website) or you can just give me your Malaysia bank information. I can make the payment directly from my PayPal account into your bank account so no need for you to register for a PayPal account.

Therefore in order to complete the business with you, you just need to get back to me with your Registered PayPal Name and Registered PayPal Email Address or bank information and the total cost so that I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply

Kind regards,
Susan Yoo

COMPARE to the 1st scammer i received. Their style is similar and they love to state paypal. Since a lot believe paypal is the safest of all which is true on ebay.

SMS Message Received in the Morning:
Is your car still available for sale?
Kindly email me on: [email protected] as this is urgent. Thank You!

I replied through email: Yes, my car is still available.

He/She replied: Thanks for the prompt reply. My name is Malena Leon. I believe my son sent you a text message to email me for the sale. I will like to know the lowest price for it and i want you to get back to me with more pictures and its current condition because i can't come over to inspect it. I am buying it locally here as a gift for my son that is living in United Arab Emirates

I am at sea at the moment as i am an Oceanographer ( i work on South Pacific Ocean in east of New Zealand ) and due to the nature of my work, phone calls is restricted. It was my son that check your advert and sent you a text to contact me (his mother ) on my email address because i am currently offshore .

I am really sure he will be more than happy if i am able to purchase it from you because this is what he want and chose from the Advert.

You need not worry yourself about how it will get to him there in United Arab Emirates as i have a contact of shipping company there that will be handling the pick up and all the paper work.

I replied (testing): Lowest price is RM**K that I can offer you. May I know where to deliver the car to you? Is there anyone for me to deal with personally for the payment in Malaysia?

Pictures are all in this link: (The same website that your son visited)

He/She Replied:

I will be making the payment through paypal and i will only do that after i have received some pictures and information about it, then i will let you know if it is all okay with me or not.
The money will go into your paypal account and i will also wait for the money to be fully transferred into your bank account so that you can be sure that I'm a legitimate and trustworthy buyer.
The shipping agent will contact you after the money is 100% completely safe in your bank account and the transport agent will only contact you for the pick up at your given time, date and location.
The vehicle will need to be de-register first before it can be shipped out of the country and the documents of change of ownership will be done by the Pick Up Agent when they get there so you don't have to get worried about that as the shipping agent knows about the procedure.

I hope this satisfy your curiosity, and answers your questions.

Last edited:
Another scammer. Nowadays guys just beware. They will SMS u and tell you to e-mail them. Believe to be from the same syndicate. This people roam around car for sale websites.

Here is one I received lately. Btw, he goes by the name Susan Yoo but have a wife in China. Lesbians?

SMS: Hello bro, pls tell me more about your car on oto.my, what's your final price? Please reply to my email on [email protected] because i don't use whatsapp, Susan

E-mailed the details about the car and lowest I can offer.

This is his/her reply through E-Mail-

Susan -

COMPARE to the 1st scammer i received. Their style is similar and they love to state paypal. Since a lot believe paypal is the safest of all which is true on ebay.

More or less sounded like using the same trick. Whoever that is trying to scam you is wasting their time. :biggrin:

BTW, these scammers seems to have a proper command of english. Not exactly that dumb.

More or less sounded like using the same trick. Whoever that is trying to scam you is wasting their time. :biggrin:

BTW, these scammers seems to have a proper command of english. Not exactly that dumb.

Well, you have to be good to be one.....

Not really, they are actually that dumb to ask me how much is the price of the car in USD.

This is my reply and after that his reply. U tell me whether he/she is dumb. Also as a woman, she is buying a car for his wife. To me, these ppl more the less have a few templates to choose from to reply or some group to discuss what to reply. I don't think they totally understand everything.

My Reply:
1) What is the condition and why are you selling?
Reason for sale, buying a Lamborghini Aventador next month
2) Are you the Owner?
No, belongs to my grandfather's cousin's friend's husband's sister. A bit complicated.
3) Pick up Location address for me to forward it to the pick up agent for them to schedule time and the date for the pick up?
Will arrange to ship the car to your location.
4) What is the price of the car in USD (United States Dollars) ?
Should be USD 24,000. Not sure.
5) Do you have paypal account or you prefer to receive payment into your Malay Bank account?
No paypal account. Can post cash to my address

He/her reply:
Thank you Lim but I cannot send cash, it is not safe. I prefer paypal or bank transfer, it is safer. Get back with your payment details and we can continue from there

Not really, they are actually that dumb to ask me how much is the price of the car in USD.

This is my reply and after that his reply. U tell me whether he/she is dumb. Also as a woman, she is buying a car for his wife. To me, these ppl more the less have a few templates to choose from to reply or some group to discuss what to reply. I don't think they totally understand everything.

My Reply:

He/her reply:

Give account details and wait for money to come in.....:driver:

Give account details and wait for money to come in.....:driver:

Serious? Give the bank account number? LOL! Later I'm the one reported for scam.

Don't reveal. These scammers can very easily scam the bank to do all sorts of things with your account. Very dangerous. Unless your account is a business account with standing instructions or something (to restrict cash flow), I would never give personal account details.

Don't reveal. These scammers can very easily scam the bank to do all sorts of things with your account. Very dangerous. Unless your account is a business account with standing instructions or something (to restrict cash flow), I would never give personal account details.

Yup, that's what I'm afraid. All these scammers are good in tracking or get into your personal things as long they have the details of your bank account.

Which they did ask for payment/bank account details.

Even my reply to him/her doesn't sound right, he/she still do not know their trick were busted. :banghead:

My Reply:

He/her reply:

Maybe they just randomly put some name without thinking. Or they thought you are someone who is bad in english which might trick you into thinking that they are really educated people who can use good english. Nevermind, maybe I'm just talking crap. But in my uni, those who came from chinese school tend to assume that those people who can use good english are smart people.

Serious? Give the bank account number? LOL! Later I'm the one reported for scam.

Yup, that's what I'm afraid. All these scammers are good in tracking or get into your personal things as long they have the details of your bank account.

Which they did ask for payment/bank account details.

Even my reply to him/her doesn't sound right, he/she still do not know their trick were busted. :banghead:

Better don't give anything. You never knew who these people are. Just to be safe, try to avoid from giving them any information at all. With the available technologies today, you don't know what they can do with those information.

Maybe they just randomly put some name without thinking. Or they thought you are someone who is bad in english which might trick you into thinking that they are really educated people who can use good english. Nevermind, maybe I'm just talking crap. But in my uni, those who came from chinese school tend to assume that those people who can use good english are smart people.

Better don't give anything. You never knew who these people are. Just to be safe, try to avoid from giving them any information at all. With the available technologies today, you don't know what they can do with those information.

Not exactly smart ppl. No such way to judge a person's intelligence :rofl:
Just because some can't speak english doesn't mean they are stupid. Everyone is good with something. Also a person who can speak good english doesn't mean he is smart. Just maybe he was brought up by speaking english in the family.

Is like the same saying that all Americans are smart :rofl:

Sf why not reply back and ask what guarantee she isnt a fraud and see what happens

Sf why not reply back and ask what guarantee she isnt a fraud and see what happens

Done.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Here it is:

Mine:
Thanks Susan. I'm a little concern on this procedure. How can you ensure that you are a genuine buyer and this is not a fraud?
How can you guarantee that this is a genuine deal?

Her reply:
I see no reason why you should have any doubts, because I am paying first and you will receive your money before we do the transfer of ownership.

Not exactly smart ppl. No such way to judge a person's intelligence :rofl:
Just because some can't speak english doesn't mean they are stupid. Everyone is good with something. Also a person who can speak good english doesn't mean he is smart. Just maybe he was brought up by speaking english in the family.

Is like the same saying that all Americans are smart :rofl:

I'm not the one saying those who have a proper command of english is smart. It is just that many people at my uni are having this stereotype thinking. You don't want to know how bad their english is for some of them. :banghead:

Good idea also.

Done.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Here it is:

Excellent

I'm not the one saying those who have a proper command of english is smart. It is just that many people at my uni are having this stereotype thinking. You don't want to know how bad their english is for some of them. :banghead:

Good idea also.

Excellent

Ya I know not you, I was referring to your uni mates who said that haha

Ya I know not you, I was referring to your uni mates who said that haha

Chinese school students, really can be difficult sometimes when communicating with them. If I showed them these scam mails, probably they'll say something like "wow, good english. written so nicely"

give my bank account bro..dun worry inside got no money.:proud:

that's not the point. Later one they use your account as a conduit to transfer black money and bukit aman finds out, they'll freeze ALL your assets pending investigation. You'll suffer for a long time man considering the 'efficiency' of our local police.

And btw, this is a true story. Don't play play.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Done.

Here it is:

I can't remember what the con was, something about the sending party cancelling the transaction prior to the transfer or them sending a complaint that'll freeze the transaction. Paypal is very buyer friendly, not so much seller safe.

Reply and say you're not comfortable dealing with Paypal as you've heard a lot of fraudulent transactions involving overseas buyers/sellers. See what sob story they'll reply this time.

Chinese school students, really can be difficult sometimes when communicating with them. If I showed them these scam mails, probably they'll say something like "wow, good english. written so nicely"

Ya, we may find it normal just maybe because we are just use to it and we would find english with more bombastic words or great sentence with meanings behind is deem as fluent english.

Our Malaysia's English standard really not as good as before. The level of english my parents told me Form 5 level, they see already shaking their head. They said it is so easy for the students nowadays. That's why like Vr2 said, last time our parents time get 5As already consider real smart.

It ain't easy back in those days. The A grade marks were higher if not mistaken 50/60% consider fail. Have to get Vr to confirm on this :biggrin:

But the scam email is indeed quite good for a scammer and yeah they have to be good in english to sound professional. But somehow too professional blows their cover.

Later you get the money, SF got to sell the car.....hahahahhaha:biggrin:

Later I get reported for scamming a scammer instead :rofl: but I don't think they are that stupid.

that's not the point. Later one they use your account as a conduit to transfer black money and bukit aman finds out, they'll freeze ALL your assets pending investigation. You'll suffer for a long time man considering the 'efficiency' of our local police.

And btw, this is a true story. Don't play play.

I can't remember what the con was, something about the sending party cancelling the transaction prior to the transfer or them sending a complaint that'll freeze the transaction. Paypal is very buyer friendly, not so much seller safe.

Reply and say you're not comfortable dealing with Paypal as you've heard a lot of fraudulent transactions involving overseas buyers/sellers. See what sob story they'll reply this time.

Yup, PayPal protects the buyer more than the seller. And yes even transaction nowadays can be cancelled or frozen. Just like when I transfer money to someone, I'll receive a SMS whether I did this transaction or not. If not I have to call xxxx and etcs.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom