Why should I buy a Coupster?

solomon

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
Hi guys....
Dino here.
I'm seriously considering getting a 2000 Hyundai Coupe that I saw today for about RM50k. 1ust have some questions about the car and as this is wehre the 'experts' lepak, I thought it's good to start here.

So... Grandmasters... why should I buy the 'Coupster'?

Is it a practical car to use daily? I live 20kms from my workplace and on my Camry now (1996 I think, 2.2 litres) I get about 85-95km on RM20.

Does it cost a lot to mod the car out? Bodykit and rim and exhaust pipes and all lah....

And, I normally prefer manuals but the car I saw was an Auto. Mahal ah mau tukar from Auto to Manual?

Here are some of the cars I'm considering:
Civic EK
Mitsubishi FTO
Mitsubishi Evo 4
Or kalau semua tak boleh pakai... Neo (eewww!!! Tak mau tak mau!!)

OK lah.... that's it for now.

TQ TQ TQ TQ TQ for replying.

-Dino-

SpitFire16

Known Member
Apr 30, 2007
Dino,

Go look around in the HCC forum.You'll know more about hyundai coupe.About the other cars...

FTO - very hard to find parts.I know becos i almost bought 1.And very rare to find manual.somemore to change tranny you have to spend around 10K..the power also is just about 130-140hp for a 2.0 car..coupe is better.

Evo4 - i just dont like to look.Dont mind me..hehe.Better go for Evo6 then.

Honda - Aiya,everywhere see honda,so boring.

Just my 2 cents..cheers

solomon

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
Hey Spitfire....
very much appreciated 2 cents.
=)
Don't think can afford an FTO anyway. 2.0 la babe.
But a friend of mine says that the Coupe (and Hyundai in general) are quite difficult to jaga as the parts are rare and expensive.
So tell me... what other things should I be looking out for if I decide to purchase the coupe? This is my first car maaa.....
=)
Ta!!

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Hello Dino,

I am using Hyundai Coupe 2001 for daily driving.. And I do sales job.. My coupe is with me from JB to KL to Penang almost every month.. It's a lovely car to drive especially in long distance.. Mine is auto as well.. Regarding changing Auto to Manual, you have to look for ericmivec..

Mine is 1.8L engine. Fuel consumption wise, RM 100 can get me 500 km on city drive and 580 km on highway.. We have seniors ever hit 630 km...

To mod bodykit, rims and exhaust is the same cost for all cars..

If you are looking into power and speed, EK will be good to mod.. It's a potential car.. But as what SpitFire says, there's EK everywhere.. My car is not fast, but everytime we look at our car, we smile...

If you can afford 50k for coupe, I am sure you can afford FTO as well.. Spare part wise, I don't know.. For coupe, we know where to get our parts... Wan cheap spare parts? Buy proton and perodua then...

Evo4 is outdated la.. Get Evo7.. Normal driving RM 0.29/km.. Boost come in RM 0.35/km...

Hope my 2 cents worth too...

SIM

solomon

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
Hi Sim...
wow... that was really helpful.
Glad you replied.
Went to look for more cars today in the Jln. Ipoh area in KL. Only managed to find a 1997 Auto Coupe in fresh black paint.
Cost: RM29k.
Looks in fantastic condition but haven't brought my mechanic to check on the car la.
(Also there was a lick-a-tastic 1993 Prelude going for RM49k.... cantik but mahal laaa!!)
Anyway, just a question... What price should I expect to pay for a y2k Coupe and a 1997 coupe? 50k and 29k respectively expensive?
And... (this is me just being gatal here)... there was a beautiful 2002 cope going for 73k... alamakkk!
Anyway, hints and tips would be good guys.
Cheers!

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Oh.. That GK is gone!!!

Solomon,
RM 29k and RM 50k is slightly expensive.. I got my 2001 RD2 at RM 50k in April.. It should be a few k cheaper by now...

solomon

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
Hey Sim,
No no no... I'm not givin up. I'm gonna HUNT for that elusive Tuscani!!!
But otherwise, I'll settle for that RD2 coz he's givin me a new coat of paint with it.
But That's before bargaining laaa....

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
Cool! I suggest you buy the RD2.. Do bodykit kaw kaw.. then go for re-spraying and ask him to pay for it.. Wahahaha...

lgs007

Jun 27, 2006
Just saw this nice car advertisement on Motor trader ,RM25800 Hyundai Coupe 1.8 Manual

I would like to ask if I wanna get tht car ,wanted to ask regard the part.

Do a high millege represent a lot for Hyundai engine ( as I am driving Toyota SEG now and the engine quite tough for me)

Is the part easy to spoil and is it easy to find USED part for this car or how much for new part ? eg :

Sterring rack , Drive shaft
Distributor (if hyundai have 1) , alternator .

I noticed I found some answer for absorber ,engine mounting , timing belt set ,brake pad on the other page .

And the power sterring hose and tie rod is quite often spoil for hyundai coupe ?

and for the millege ,what millege do ur recommand me to find for this car ?(year 97-98 )

Last edited:

SpitFire16

Known Member
Apr 30, 2007
igs007,

Hyundai coupe is really a nice car to view and drive.The engine is from what i know is really a realiable engine.Seldom got problem.But then,depends on the way the previous owner take care of the car.But the threads about suspensions,mountings,ets are for refference for all the members..share their opinion and experience.For god sake,this is a 10 year old car,so should have wear and tear.But after fixing that all,you should atleast have a good car for about another 10 years or more.Part wise,its really easy to get and cheap if you know where to find.If your in KL,it would be much better..you'll know sooner or later.Before you buy the car,really try all the coupe's first so that you can differentiate which is in better condition.If possible,go for manual tranny.Auto is ok...but..not for me la :hmmmm: hope that helps.Feel free to ask anything.

Cheers
SpitFire

lgs007

Jun 27, 2006
Currently I am a auto driver ,but if I get Coupe I plan to go for 1.8 Manual but if I find a nicer condition of 1.8 auto ,I might go for it also lah ,If I would like to get this car ,other then car body , what would ur recommand me to pay some notice , and how much millege ur car having now ? thanks :)

And I stay in USJ actually , and I realise the Mr Lee is quite near to my place , is there any mechanic your recommand for hyundai coupe which know how to fixed this car and with reasonable/cheap price :)

Last edited:

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
lgs.. spitfire will be more than happy to help you test the car out.. Wahahahah... yes.. i think most hyundai coupe modded the power steering hose but usually there isn't much issue after modding.. Tie rod wise.. not too sure.. but with our malaysia road conditions, it's not difficult to these parts to wear faster... hyundai coupe can be serviced at any workshop.. It's not like BMW or other continental cars.. Also, you might need to compromise the acceleration if compared to SEG.. hope my two cents worth

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i having trouble with my satria rear brake issue, there no direct response after pulling and is not grippin at all after i pulling it, make me hard to even engage a handbrake turn, is there anyhow to improve the rear brake system??? the disc and pad are quite ok still, i wondering why it wasnt gripping at all..

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience