Which one better for power ?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Theorically, the higher the CC, the more power and torque it produces. Since this is a turbo car, the bigger the CC, the less inertia spin time to spin a turbo up to optimal speed. So in other words, you may use a bigger turbo with less turbo lag if your CC is bigger.

Just a simple and straight forward example to describe my explanation. These are not real data.

> stock 2.0 - TD04 - lag 0.5 secs
> stock 2.0 - TD05 - lag 1.0 secs
> 2.2 L - TD05 - lag 0.5 secs
> 2.2 L - TD06 - lag 1.0 secs
> 2.3 L - TD06 - lag 0.5 secs

Additionally, always remember that bigger CC doesn't mean higher fuel consumption. Sometimes, lower CC car drinks MORE than higher CC cars. A typical 4 door sedan with 1.8L engines are usually better in fuel consumption as compared to 1.6L. A lot of factor to consider eg. weight, gearbox efficiency (auto-lag time) and many more.

Last edited:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Yes.. There no replacement for displacement...

Keep in mind, bore too much block to fit oversize piston will weaken the cylinder wall, overheat is a common for this matter, the best is resleeve with oversize liner, its stronger, handle more boost but its more expensive.

thirdeyes

Known Member
Oct 8, 2012
sabah
Very details . But what will you prefer to change to ? 2.2 kit or mivec ? Both are round the same price .

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Theorically, the higher the CC, the more power and torque it produces. Since this is a turbo car, the bigger the CC, the less inertia spin time to spin a turbo up to optimal speed. So in other words, you may use a bigger turbo with less turbo lag if your CC is bigger.

Just a simple and straight forward example to describe my explanation. These are not real data.

> stock 2.0 - TD04 - lag 0.5 secs
> stock 2.0 - TD05 - lag 1.0 secs
> 2.2 L - TD05 - lag 0.5 secs
> 2.2 L - TD06 - lag 1.0 secs
> 2.3 L - TD06 - lag 0.5 secs

Additionally, always remember that bigger CC doesn't mean higher fuel consumption. Sometimes, lower CC car drinks MORE than higher CC cars. A typical 4 door sedan with 1.8L engines are usually better in fuel consumption as compared to 1.6L. A lot of factor to consider eg. weight, gearbox efficiency (auto-lag time) and many more.
QFT...but remember, in bolehland bigger cc always mean higher tax ok? Hehe...but in this case, the difference is marginal la..

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
For power bigger cc forged internal better for future big turbo upgrade, mivec give u less turbo lag...

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

QFT...but remember, in bolehland bigger cc always mean higher tax ok? Hehe...but in this case, the difference is marginal la..
Mine still 2L roadtax...:listen:

AvanT

Custom fabricator & CNC machining
Mar 20, 2009
There's another cheaper & easier alternative if U're heading this direction. No need to spend a bomb to stroke up the engine actually =)
Just study & understand what exactly a stroker kit does, how it effects the engine performance, what is different from your original engine, then U'll realized that U can actually achieved the same result by just changing to higher compression pistons alone.

I had these in my storage for some time now, ready to be planted in since my trek already ran more than 200,000km when I bought it, decided to put the project on-hold until necessary, since the engine is still running healthy & powerful at the moment.

Airtrek turbo stock piston, notice the E5 marking on it, it's a Evo 5 piston in our Airtrek turbo!!

New high compression piston, will bump up the compression ratio from 8:8 -> 9:0

COMPARISON: thicker wall, oversized pin, thermal coated

IN THE MAKING: precision machining to reduce the skirting

Higher compression ratio = less lag, more efficient & responsive, improve fuel consumption, even more fun to drive =D

Last edited:

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
there is pros n cons to consider for high compression.
yes...u can have speed n power but u need higher ron fuel to prevent knocking.

AvanT

Custom fabricator & CNC machining
Mar 20, 2009
there is pros n cons to consider for high compression.
yes...u can have speed n power but u need higher ron fuel to prevent knocking.
Yea bro, but do U realize that putting in a stroker kit also raise the compression ratio. A stroker kit basically has the crank design with more travel, thus your piston TDC (top dead center) position is up slightly higher, and BTC (bottom dead center) position slightly lower. Which is why aftermarket parts manufacturer that sells stroker kit, also includes a new sets of pistons to lower the compression ratio.

Furthermore, current technologies has improved the piston design considerably. Allowing higher compression ratio possible without risk of detonation.

Jtreker

Jun 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Airtrek weight is quite heavy, 2.3 stroker kit is much suitable if you really looking for power with matching the knn very long ratio fd 3.333 gb. 4G63 does not design to hi-rev. so with stroker kit, u can gain more torque than a 2.0, which is more suitable for street driving. Most prefect street driving machine will be a 2.3 stroker with MIVEC head and a aftermarket standalone ECU, such as VIPEC.

And about high compression piston up to 9.0 or above, i will advice to get a thicker multi layer gasket to compensate it. 9.0 need a better quality fuel, eg. higher ron. if you can afford 97 and above.

Find a reliable engine builder to do a stroker kit or rebuild. with proper clean engine room. not by open door with alot of dust & without temperature control, this is the basic that a mech must know. u will not know when a sand or something dirty tht stuck between the piston ring or bearing. if tht happen, u might need to fork up another money to build ur car again. worst case, whole block gone. :driver: so do not mind to give extra 1-2k workmanship for project, send to sumone that really know it in mechanical and theoritical, the extra will really worth it. :-) happy modding

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys..need your help to look around..if any of u see this white Daihatsu Charade below..kindly call me @ 012 565 8656. This car was stolen on 4/9/09..It belongs to my fren

The No Plate is WCJ 2683. Below are some photos of the car..

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience