What's d use for VTEC controller...Anyone can put some info?

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Hi guys,

Just wondering what is the use of VTEC controller like Spoon VTEC controller.

1. It control the VTEC to engage earlier? Example we can set the VTEC open earlier like 3000 rpm?

What other function it has?

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
the name says it. to control the VTEC point loh...

unless youre talking about Greddy MSS , etc..it is different.

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
the name says it. to control the VTEC point loh...

unless youre talking about Greddy MSS , etc..it is different.
I knw but what's d point of ir as the original VTEC point is set at 5.6k rpm?

Are you saying that with installing the Spoon VTEC controller, we can set the VTEC point open at 2.5rpm & the powers come all d way from 2.5k rpm until 8.5k rpm. Is it?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
shifting the vtec point to a lower rpm will result in power drop in the higher revv, plus u rnt getting any noticeable pull when the vtec kicks in the lower revv either. i wud push the vtec point up further the revv to get more power in the top end

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
I knw but what's d point of ir as the original VTEC point is set at 5.6k rpm?

Are you saying that with installing the Spoon VTEC controller, we can set the VTEC point open at 2.5rpm & the powers come all d way from 2.5k rpm until 8.5k rpm. Is it?
the VTEC point does indeed can be changed by VARIOUS vtec controller.. or piggyback or stand alone that has the solenoid control thingy (i forgot)

BUT..lowering the point doesn't guarantee u, much power...

it is getting the right setup for your VTEC to kick in and by considering what u have done to your engine that guarantees u a good torque delivery thru out rpm range.

need to dyno run to achieve this. until u get the best setup for your torque and hp.

thats why people re-adjust their vtec point..

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
the VTEC point does indeed can be changed by VARIOUS vtec controller.. or piggyback or stand alone that has the solenoid control thingy (i forgot)

BUT..lowering the point doesn't guarantee u, much power...

it is getting the right setup for your VTEC to kick in and by considering what u have done to your engine that guarantees u a good torque delivery thru out rpm range.

need to dyno run to achieve this. until u get the best setup for your torque and hp.

thats why people re-adjust their vtec point..
I am using E-Manage. Can I install Spoon VTEC controller together as well?

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Wat is vtec?
Need to understand the basic first...
Then you will know why ppl adjust the vtec engage point...

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
I am using E-Manage. Can I install Spoon VTEC controller together as well?
e-manage blue already has option to ctrl one solenoid. that is to say the VTEC point.

but if u insist on installing the spoon VTEC controller..from my opinion..it is good. it'll be much easier for you to set any VTEC point that u prefer instantaneously even though it looks a bit redundant due to the fact that you're already equipped with a piggyback that has the ability to control the solenoid.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i dont see the need in changing the vtec point too often sir.. its not like when u changing it to a lower revv, it will perform as good as the std setting. in fact it will get worse, weve tried it..

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
i dont see the need in changing the vtec point too often sir.. its not like when u changing it to a lower revv, it will perform as good as the std setting. in fact it will get worse, weve tried it..
Ya xtremeleo. You are right as my foreman told me this as well. He said thos VTEC controller is for those VTEC engines that has heavy mod & need to set their VTEC point earlier or later...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
even with a highly moded engine, the vtec point cant be set too low sir, the most is setting it 500rpm lower then the original point or else u'll suffer at the higher revv as the air flow isnt built up sufficiently before the vtec is engaged. i think its better to prep the engine for a vteckiller cam jer, lagi best..

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
yeah ur right...its just a matter of senang setting only.. :biggrin:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
VTEC is to allow good power at high and low RPM. It requires certain pressure before engaging. You can cheat by using pressure sensor bypass, but vtec won't engage smoothly if set too low, nor would it be good for the system.

Afaik, the spoon vtec controller came out when engine management was very expensive, thus it's a less expensive method to change vtec crossover.

I think most management have this, so the point of installing a vtec controller is not practical, unless that's your final mod, and you don't plan on doing anything on the engine anymore, just daily driving it and changing the vtec point earlier or later, depending on how you want to drive.

Most cars cannot engage vtec below 4.5k, some not even below 5krpm due to mapping, oil pressure and other factors.

I ran a vtec window of 5400-6000 on my old b16a using hondata, low throttle vtec engage 6k, and full throttle vtec at 5.4k. Full throttle crossover decided by doing low and high cam runs on dyno. Should be 5.5, but set earlier to still get that vtec kick due to that torque dip, or not it become smooth, and the only way you know the vtec engaged is through the exhaust sound.

Some people think if vtec makes the car go faster, then it should make it better on the low end. There's a reason why it's called a hi cam and low cam, heh. Too long to explain about cam duration, overlap & lift. Just read about them and you'd understand how 1.6l can make 200ps@11k.(spoon) and how a normal b16a can get 170ps @ 7.8k

Toda killers would kill low end power and make the car unsuitable for daily driving. The advantage is that it converts the rocker system to roller rockers so can run really aggressive cams without wearing the rocker arms and timing belt too fast. You won't see killer cams coming out for the K20A_R, because they're already on rollers.

Low end power is important on daily driven or street cars, but VTEC high cam is not the way to get them. I'd say to get better low end power, need to.

a) get the engine tuned, even if it's just a b18c with light mods, and tell the tuner you want the low end power.

b) don't go running 2.5 inches exhaust piping on honda 1.6/1.8
c) don't go bumping fuel press to 4bars just because a lot of tuners do it before tuning 18c.
d) insert more here. :-)

Got to realize that no matter what we do, we can't beat a short rod engine's torque at 1-4k, unless we go higher displacement/compression.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

My company, a market research firm called Ipsos is conducting a study for the luxury sedan market. Looking for owners of Lexus (any sedan models, even hybrids), Audi A4/A6 & Mercedes C/E Class. The survey will be in Mid Valley (Ipsos office). Car must be bought brand new, from August 2008 onwards.

Date: 4 Sept, 7pm (Audi & Mercedes owners) / 5 Sept, 7pm (Lexus owners)
Duration: 2 hours
Token: RM400 (will be given after the 2-hour...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience