Know what's under your hood.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Just thought it'd be a nice idea to compile photo's of parts in under the hood. I hope everyone contributes to make this a sucessful information thread. Thanks to hattech-v for the photos of the piston oil sprayers , I really didn't know how it looked like apart from verbal explanations from a friend. Those photos gave me the idea of starting this thread.

So, submit some photos, and please do a short writeup on the part you photographed as well.

Hopefully as the pictures build up, I'll sort them into categories in the first post, picture will be credited to the poster, of course! (If the writeup is done by another person, it shall be credited accordingly)

Some general rules I wish to make (you can suggest changes if you feel it's not suitable)
1) photos are sized small enough, and not cause page stretching.
2) no catalogue photoes (due to copyright issues, I think it's better to refrain from catalogue photos.)
3) if you have a photo you took, but don't know about it, post it as well, as there may be other people who can help with the writeup.

Generally I think accuracy would be an issue, so I hope people will correct any mistakes as it comes along.. Heck! I don't know much either, so this thread will help me too!

Hopefully this will be an educational experience, since there's a bit of parts on the engine that I know by name and function, but don't know how it looks like. Since this is a honda forum, I think it's a good idea to limit it to photoes of honda parts. I'm thinking the pricing part is a bit stupid, and should be eliminated due to difficulties in sourcing prices, since it's all about supply and demand. Tell me what you guys think.

The Valve

The valve sits in the head, and functions as a gate to let air in or out. The ones letting air in is called the intake valves, and the ones letting air out are called the exhaust valves. There are total of 16 valves in a typical honda engine. The bigger ones are the exhaust valves, and the smaller ones are the intake valves.
The Head

(I couldn't get a picture of a stripped down block yet. Still looking.)
A honda engine consists of layers. The topmost layer is the one you see the most.. The cam cover.
The second layer is the head, and it houses the cams, springs and retainers. This particular head came off a B18C, and is without the springs, retainer and cams. The third layer is the block, which houses the rods, pistons and crankshaft.

Radiator

The radiator is the most commonly known item on the car, since most owners do fill up it's water regularly. Although the stock one works well, there are other aftermarket radiators that you might have to consider once your engine power goes up and generate more heat. The radiator cap is spring loaded, and is set to release the excess pressure in the radiator as the water starts to expand due to heat.

Other makers of radiator are Koyo, ARC, and Effin <-- not sure about the spelling on the last one, and these are the only makers I know of that make aftermarket radiators. Usually made entirely of aluminium and is thicker, they can disippate heat better
[Knock Sensor] - contributed by xxxx

The knock sensor is designed to sense when fuel is burning unevenly and causing "knocking" or irregular vibrations in the engine. The knock sensor consists of an electric coil that is wound around two ceramic rods with a magnet in the center. Engine vibration makes the ceramic rods vibrate. This disturbs the coils magnetic field and alters the current passing through the coil. This disturbance returns to the computer as a signal pattern that the computer analyzes. The computer then determines whether the vibrations are characteristic of engine knocking.

new - rm280 - rm350
used - rm80 - rm180
[Fuel Rail + Injectors] - shiroitenshi

A short writeup:
The long bar is the fuel rail. You can see the injectors mounted on the fuel rail. Coming from the H22A, the injectors are sized 280cc, saturated type. B16 and B18 uses 240cc injectors of the saturated type. Peak and hold types are available as well, but usually for bigger cc injectors, but there are cases of smaller injectors being of the peak and hold type. These two types have different connectors (if I'm not mistaken) and requires a part called a 'resistor box' or 'ballast' (not sure about the second term)

Purpose:
Purpose of the injectors are to spray fuel into the intake manifold. The fuel rail is pressurised, so the injectors just open and close in miliseconds to meter the exact fuel required depending on what the ECU says. A common trick is using an adjustable fuel regulator to make the injectors inject more fuel. Injectors have a max duty cycle (whatever that means! help?) of 80%, and it's unadvisable to go above that for consistency in metering fuel.

Price:
New - Unknown
Used - Unknown (friend quoted a price, but I think it's kinda random, and unsuitable as a benchmark)

Last edited:

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
edy,
used knock sensor RM150?4 wat car?B series DOHC VTEC?ouchh..i got mine 4 RM80 last time in USJ,Lochi's place...i think RM150 can get brand new lar nowadays....xxxx told me d other day

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
edy7311 said:
i copy&paste fr xxxx..

[Knock Sensor]

The knock sensor is designed to sense when fuel is burning unevenly and causing "knocking" or irregular vibrations in the engine. The knock sensor consists of an electric coil that is wound around two ceramic rods with a magnet in the center. Engine vibration makes the ceramic rods vibrate. This disturbs the coils magnetic field and alters the current passing through the coil. This disturbance returns to the computer as a signal pattern that the computer analyzes. The computer then determines whether the vibrations are characteristic of engine knocking.

..no pic attached!

New - ?
Used - rm150
Thanks for the contribution.. anyone has pictures? I'm hoping for a pic of it off the engine, so people can see the picture of the individual part.

Last edited:

xxxx

1,500 RPM
Feb 9, 2005
i'll post a pic of the knock sensor soon....

akuma, u need to korek telinga la..... new knock sensor cost about rm280-rm350.
pls contact genuine spare part shops if u dun believe....haha

aiya edy7311, u posted wat i wanted to say alrdy......haha
btw, how's ur transplant?

Last edited:

xxxx

1,500 RPM
Feb 9, 2005
this is the actual photo of my knock sensor with the socket that is suppose to be attached to it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/xxxx2005/for sell/1.jpg

The knock sensor is designed to sense when fuel is burning unevenly and causing "knocking" or irregular vibrations in the engine. The knock sensor consists of an electric coil that is wound around two ceramic rods with a magnet in the center. Engine vibration makes the ceramic rods vibrate. This disturbs the coils magnetic field and alters the current passing through the coil. This disturbance returns to the computer as a signal pattern that the computer analyzes. The computer then determines whether the vibrations are characteristic of engine knocking

new - rm280 - rm350
used - rm80 - rm180

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the contributions and pictures, xxxx. Added and credited accordingly on the first post.

Keep em coming guys

xxxx

1,500 RPM
Feb 9, 2005
u can post it somewhere else 1st or

u can attach it using the attach files button. but the pics need to be in small size.

white angel (shiro), u r welcome.

guys, pls post more stuffs here.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
use photobucket.com

if you attach, the image only appears as links.

edy7311

Known Member
Dec 30, 2004
Visit site
xxxx said:
i'll post a pic of the knock sensor soon....

..aiya edy7311, u posted wat i wanted to say alrdy......haha
btw, how's ur transplant?
i post coz, it usefull info. credit to shiroitenshi_san. now, we hav quick reference to look.

my ek3 + b16a3 is ok. now, struggle to set xzos! i put 2.2" pipe with HKS 2.5" inlet[dun know wat type] wit stock 4-1 & no bullet/box at the middle. loudsy inside room lah.. tak tahan already!

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Look forward to your contributions, edy7411.. even just a picture will do, and someone else can do a writeup.

If you think HKS is noisy, you haven't tried 5zigen bordermax. That one is seriously loud, if you bought the entire set, it's even worse, as the piping is not very thick to reduce weight, and the resonation is incredible!

You don't need to feel vtec with bordermax muffler.. you will hear it as well, a very high pitched whine.

Fact is, I'm thinking of using HKS... and you say still loud?

Which model are you using?

xxxx

1,500 RPM
Feb 9, 2005
yalo, which model r u using? loud meh? u haven listen to 304...
but i guss it's becos u din use center bullet....

ps... i'm using a hks too....HKS Hi-Power....like the sound very much.
it's a new version of hks hiper (no more new in market)...

so shiro, which model r u thinking to get?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Not thinking of getting.. It's already in my storeroom. HKS Hiper, like you mentioned. Cousin bought waay back, and since he didn't want it anymore (Hearing the bordermax scream made him a convert), I got it for free.

Currently still using bordermax (but not the 304, the earlier version), when cukup syiok already, probably change to HKS for the lower noise, low profile civic. After all, I'm also a music fan (though not an ICE maniac) so I like to listen to music while I drive too.

Still, that VTEC whine will be sorely missed once I change, and I might swap it back from time to time when I feel the urge I guess. Probably not selling my bordermax... although with the many request I'm getting for them, I guess I'll let it go if someone offers an obscene price (so far the best offer is RM700, since it's not made anymore, and it requires no modifications to fit EGs). (friend still have stock of the original full set of 5zigen border, header, piping, muffler and all (for sharing among friends/sale), so I could opt for that set if I really want to, but bordermax are really noisy, y'know?

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, my company is doing a car research on 25th-26th Aug in Klang Valley on current CABRIOLET, COUPE, ROADSTER owner, we are targeting new car owner of

MAZDA MX5 (Car owner since year 2008 till present)

(Car owner since August 2009 till present)
PEUGEOT RCZ COUPE
VOLKSWAGEN SCIROCCO
VOLKSWAGEN EOS CC
AUDI TT
MINI (all versions except CLUBMAN)
PEUGEOT 308CC
RENAULT MEGANE CABRIO COUPE
SUBARU WRX STI
NISSAN GT-R
NISSAN SKYLINE...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience