Weird substance inside radiator

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
for me, i changed my coolant becoz my mechanic mentioned that Toyota coolant concoction is quite corrosive to old engine, while nissan coolant is milder. For new cars, toyota coolant works fine.

This is of course, based on his own experience as a mechanic.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
for me, i changed my coolant becoz my mechanic mentioned that Toyota coolant concoction is quite corrosive to old engine, while nissan coolant is milder. For new cars, toyota coolant works fine.

This is of course, based on his own experience as a mechanic.
My VR 91 model woh!, use TLLC many years......lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Not really chemical. The color of coolant is mostly indicator dye, or to show brand, type of coolant and maybe the formulation depending on the brand. Kinda like petrol with dye to differentiate petrol grade or RON.

So far, the common ones are red, green, yellow (and even "gold"). I saw once blue colour but forgot the name.
Such interesting colour until my niece wanted to test-drink it....hahaha
Sounds like soft drinks. :rofl:

Bro Ken Yeang is right, color is not the chemical, but usually is glycol stuffs, like ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, or propylene glycol....

I change because Mitsu ones cheaper at RM18....:driver:
If its effectiveness is the same, then maybe I should try it too.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Update.

Looks like the weird substance problem is totally gone now. The radiator water clear and the cap is clean. Looks like these substances probably originated from the damaged thermostat. I just took a picture of it few minutes ago and this is how the radiator water and cap looks like.

Attachments

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Mean problem solved. Now just check that the fluid that goes to reservoir when hot and comes back in when cool, you are ok dy.....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Mean problem solved. Now just check that the fluid that goes to reservoir when hot and comes back in when cool, you are ok dy.....
Yeah. It has been 3 weeks plus already since I changed the thermostat. Temperature stable all these while although I din't drive my car much across these few weeks.

Huh? You mean the fluid in reserve tank? They are clean as well.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah. It has been 3 weeks plus already since I changed the thermostat. Temperature stable all these while although I din't drive my car much across these few weeks.

Huh? You mean the fluid in reserve tank? They are clean as well.
As long as water returns from reserve tank back to radiator means your radiator cap is okay also....:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
As long as water returns from reserve tank back to radiator means your radiator cap is okay also....:biggrin:
Oh, then I think it does since the water level at reserve tank remains the same. The water returns using the same pipe as the one that enters, right?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh, then I think it does since the water level at reserve tank remains the same. The water returns using the same pipe as the one that enters, right?
Yup, you still don't know how it works?
What hot the water goes to the reserve tank, then when cool it gets suck back in as there is a vacuum. Look at your radiator cap there is a rubber seal/gasket, this is sealing it tight. If this gives way then the water will go one way only, out to reserve tank and stays there as air will be suck in instead..... :driver:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
last week, shop at tesco. Came across spritzer sterile water (big bottle, more than 5liter). around 10++ bucks kut...
Maybe try that for next service. lol....
Got balance, can drink also.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
last week, shop at tesco. Came across spritzer sterile water (big bottle, more than 5liter). around 10++ bucks kut...
Maybe try that for next service. lol....
Got balance, can drink also.
As long as they are distilled or RO water. If mineral water, then NO.....:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, you still don't know how it works?
What hot the water goes to the reserve tank, then when cool it gets suck back in as there is a vacuum. Look at your radiator cap there is a rubber seal/gasket, this is sealing it tight. If this gives way then the water will go one way only, out to reserve tank and stays there as air will be suck in instead..... :driver:
Din't pay much attention to reserve tank system, sorry. Only know the water flows in from top but din't thought about how they flow back to radiator.

The rubber seal on reserve tank cover is important also isn't it? My friend complained that her Wira kept loosing water in radiator. I checked and fount out the rubber seal on reserve tank cover is missing. I said that could be the reason for the reduction of water.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

So we took the newly launched Proton Saga to Ipoh, Perak for a full review. It is Proton's latest, affordable practical and cheap-to-maintain car that is targeted (mainly) to the needs of Malaysian buyers.

For full specifications, read our launch report here. You can also read our first impressions...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience