Suspension - Testimonials please

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
Car Model : Proton Satria Neo (non-cps)
Brand and Model : IMP Hyperflex II (Hi-Lo-Soft-Hard) + 8k springs front / 6k springs rear
Durability : 2 years exactly (60,000 km +/-) before sending in to service
Roads used on : KL roads + highway + regular ulu yam / kuala klawang / genting sempah + occasional SIC open track day
Comfort : (2/10)
Regardless of the amount of "clicks", u lost all comfort. You can feel every single bump / rut / unevenness of the road and surface. Maybe I pair it with the wrong springs configuration. But then again, personally I do not care about comfort.
:embarassed::tee:
Handling : (7/10)
Comparing to R3 springs + stock shocks combi previously, bodyroll is zero (regular town/road usage) and bodyroll will only kicks in if being pushed (touge trips / SIC). Bodyroll comes in gradually and this gives me plenty of time to feel how much more grip I have.
Accelerate/brakes better too as hard acceleration will not cause the car to squat or hard braking will not cause the nose to dive too much.

My 2 sen

Last edited:

darween13

Feb 6, 2006
Velocity
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer GT
Brand: Titan Hi-Lo Performance Shocks + Original Lancer GT Springs
Durability: 10,000KM – About 4 months now; so, unsure on durability but the need to service every 25,000KM will keep it intact I believe (lifetime warranty) – Could not comment much.
Road use: City (50%), Highway (30%), Bumpy + Gravel + Pot Hole-filled-routes (20%)
Comfort: 10/10 (Still new is one of the factor and as said the need to service every 25,000KM will ensure comfort I believe) – Could not comment much.
Handling: 10/10 – The shocks handles well both in high speed and low speed; keeps the car firm, less body roll unlike the original shocks – impressed and very satisfied with the performance.
Points to Note: Titan Suspension is fully custom made and built to customer’s requirements; hence, there are 3 level of setup within its full Hi-Lo suspension; 1) Soft 2) Medium 3) Hard. And within these setups, there are 2 levels of adjustment to each primary level; i.e.: Soft – Soft & Soft  Medium, Medium – Medium & Medium  Hard, Hard – Hard & Stiffest
Having said these, Titan Custom Setup comes with its own pair of advantages and disadvantages. Hence, I will share my experience of searching the right setup for you all to judge the brands and desired setups that are available out there.
Since the beginning of this year, I wanted to swap my original suspension to a hi-lo setup primarily for cosmetic purposes as I was about to swap my wheels from the Ori Lancer GT wheels to Volks TE37 SL. So, I contacted few sifu’s in ZTH as well as scouted around accessory shops for the right setup / suspension. The brands in discussion included: BC Racing, GAB, D&D, D2, and KW (Ori German made from Singapore).
I dropped KW from the list due to its price though I believe that suspension could have all been worth it for the price. I had the chance to test out BC Racing, GAB & D&D as well as Titan; all full set Hi-Lo in Lancer GT. Having tested all, I wasn’t satisfied with the setup – it was too stiff for my liking and ride was very bumpy. That factor singularly was a put off hence I refrained from taking the car for a full spin to test out the handling.
However, at Titan, the mechanic suggested that I couple their performance shocks with my original springs to preferable get the setup that I desire. As it stands, Lancer GT’s suspension and handling isn’t bad at all albeit the body roll, so, I decided to give it a try. And, the result is satisfactory and was to my liking. The stiffness increased perhaps by 20% compared to the original setting but handling wise, the car improved by miles as opposed to the original setting. I was extremely happy with the outcome simply because I managed to drop the height to 2 fingers both front and rear while not compromising much on the ride comfort and was able to extract a significant amount of difference in terms of handling.
However, this setup comes with its unique advantages and disadvantages – and for those who are keen or are thinking of going down this path; please read with caution and evaluate all avenues available before you proceed – it took me approx. 5 months to settle down for something that I liked.
Disadvantages:
Titan is custom made – there could be recurring issues which would need you to return to the shop occasionally; at least in the beginning stage of installation – primarily due to the manual human assembling steps rather than machine automated assembling process of the suspension.
Only one outlet in Cheras – Ampang; and only Titan mechanics are able to repair / troubleshoot the suspension – no alternative hence, the accessibility to the shop and its service is limited.
Need for servicing at every 25,000KM interval – additional cost in terms of time and money.
Price affordability – the full set of performance shocks is equivalent to full set of Hi-Lo setup of certain brands; hence, it may not entail some as the best investment.
Advantages:
Being custom made – everything could be customized to your preference; in terms of height, comfort, stiffness, handling as well as the quality of built of the shocks.
Price vs Output – worth every penny spent (from personal perspective) as the suspension really performs the way I would like it to with minimal compromise on other factors.
Lifetime warranty albeit the additional maintenance cost; and resale value is great for Titan Suspension – can trade off with Titan for new shocks / setup in case of change in ride.
Disclaimer: I am not by any means is an advertiser or boot licker of Titan. All that is mentioned is based on my personal experience of using Titan with comparison with other brands that were within my reach and it took me quite a bit of my time and resources to finally settle down with the brand that gave me the setup that I desired. Each individual has their own preference and Titan may not be their choice; hence, as mentioned, proceed with caution and invest correctly in the setup that is desired to avoid regrets in the long run. This comment is just meant to be a guide and perhaps for those who are tinkering to do it in less time than the 5 months that I consumed.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Car: Honda Civic EG (own)
Brand and model: Spoon sports (Yellow, Street ver. Non adjustable)
Durability: like ori OEM honda. Used from early 2004s to 2010, finally the front seals leaked, rear still doesn't.
Roads used on: All kinds, including unpaved roads.
Comfort: 3/10, You don't carry old folks with this.
Handling: 7/10, Don't like the rebound, too fast. (personal opinion btw)

Car: Honda Civic EG (own)
Brand and model: Omnipower monotubes spring 12kg, 10kg, 8kg. Using 10kg front with 8kg rear.
Durability: Hasn't failed yet, 2 years already. Still using.
Comfort: 5/10 when slow, at higher speeds 90kmh+, really comfy, 8/10. You can carry old folks/your parents with this, but only on the highways. surprising to find that monotubes really responsive. Rebound is average, compression damping a little low, but I guess that's how I find it comfortable.
Handling: 8/10, Quite good. Feels like on rails. Almost Ohlins, but that is overstating it.

Car: Honda Civic EK (friend's ride)
Brand and model: Ohlins monotubes (spring rate forgotten)
Durability: Sold already, third owner now and still on those same coilovers. More than 7 years.
Comfort: 6/10 when slow, at higher speeds 90kmh+, really comfy, 9/10. You can carry old folks/your parents with this.
Handling: 10/10, Quite good. Feels like on rails. Best handling honda I've driven.

Car: Nissan Sentra (My around town car)
Brand and model: APM standard absorbers; springs some random taiwan brand.
Durability: 5 years and still no leaks.
Roads used on: Town roads with minor potholes.
Comfort: 10/10 when slow, at higher speeds 90kmh+, really bouncy but not harsh. 10/10. (then again, my sentra is pretty heavy)
Handling: 2/10, handles like a bus, but comfortable.

Car: Proton Wira (friend's ride, carpool shared driving.)
Brand and model: Performax, Taiwan lowering springs.
Durability: 2 years and going
Comfort: 8/10 when slow, at higher speeds 90kmh+, quite harsh. 4/10.
Handling: 6/10, handles okay, but not for spirited driving.

Overall, I think your choice should be based on budget and usage. You want good handling, sacrifice a bit of comfort. If you want comfort, sacrifice handling.

Based on my experience with APM normal and Performax series, they're pretty good value for money if you are looking for OEM replacement. Of course if performance is paramount, go for monotubes. After using twintubes for so long, monotubes is my new addiction. Takes a little time to get it right by tweaking the damping knobs, but when you hit that sweet spot, :driver:

Last edited:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I have something to share here. Today I went to a kampung shop in the middle of a paddy field in Parit Buntar to modify my OEM Tokico absorber. What they did is take out the absorber, drilled a hole to drain the oil inside and replaced it with higher viscosity oil. I'm not sure what type of oil but I did see some barrel with SAE90 printed on them. Then they pumped in the gas and welded the hole, that's it. I was a bit skeptical at first and was expecting a harsher ride. To my surprise, it's not like that at all. The ride is firm and very stable. Sharp corners can be attacked with greater speeds than before. Minor bumps are all soaked up well. Larger bumps/holes could be felt a bit more. It made me thinking that this is the damping rate that my car should have in the very first place. I don't know how long the absorbers will last, but the guy said it should last at least a year. The price I paid in total was RM150 for all 4 absorbers, including 4 new bump stops. :biggrin:

Car: Civic SO4
Engine: SOHC 1.6 Manual
Brand and model: Modified Tokico OEM absorber with original spring
Durability: I only installed them today
Roads used on: Highway (50%), kampung roads (30%), town (20%)

Comfort: 6.5/10
Handling: 6/10

:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have something to share here. Today I went to a kampung shop in the middle of a paddy field in Parit Buntar to modify my OEM Tokico absorber. What they did is take out the absorber, drilled a hole to drain the oil inside and replaced it with higher viscosity oil. I'm not sure what type of oil but I did see some barrel with SAE90 printed on them. Then they pumped in the gas and welded the hole, that's it. I was a bit skeptical at first and was expecting a harsher ride. To my surprise, it's not like that at all. The ride is firm and very stable. Sharp corners can be attacked with greater speeds than before. Minor bumps are all soaked up well. Larger bumps/holes could be felt a bit more. It made me thinking that this is the damping rate that my car should have in the very first place. I don't know how long the absorbers will last, but the guy said it should last at least a year. The price I paid in total was RM150 for all 4 absorbers, including 4 new bump stops. :biggrin:

Car: Civic SO4
Engine: SOHC 1.6 Manual
Brand and model: Modified Tokico OEM absorber with original spring
Durability: I only installed them today
Roads used on: Highway (50%), kampung roads (30%), town (20%)

Comfort: 6.5/10

:driver:
Padi field? Seriously? That gives "Bawah pokok" a whooooooooooole new meaning

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Padi field? Seriously? That gives "Bawah pokok" a whooooooooooole new meaning
Yeah, seriously.. I can give you the coordinate if you want. But I think better let me be the 'guinea pig' first. I'll update my review from time to time. Two of my friends who did their absorbers at the shop said they're still feel firm after a year. But hey, for RM150 (including workmanship) I think it's worth the price. :driver:

redrose9802

Sep 8, 2008
Car: Proton Gen 2 CPS
Engine: 1.6 Auto
Brand and model: IMP Propex with R3 springs
Durability: Used for only 1 year ++, ok no prob
Roads used on: Town (60%) Highway (30%) Kampung road (10%)

Comfort: 7/10, not much sacrifice on comfort from stock. Still can carry 4 adults KL to Kelantan without making anyone vomit or pening2...

Handling: 5/10, too soft for my liking. Sometime I think that stock absorber is more stiff. Still lot of body roll...

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
Car: Honda City i-dsi
Engine: 1.5 Auto
Brand and model : Standard abs and springs.
Durability: Used for more then 5 years, very good comfort.
Roads used on: Town (60%) Highway (40%).
Comfort: Can carry 5 adults, no problem.
Handling: Not into handling part, comfort is always a priority.

Car : Perodua Alza
Engine : 1.5 Auto
Brand and model : Standard arbs and springs.
Durability : Used for 4 months only.
Roads used on : Town (80%) Highway (20%).
Comfort : Can carry 7 (thats wat the instruction manual says)
Handling : Sampan / Boat. :rofl:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Car: P1 Satria 1.6 (A)
Brand: HWL Hi Lo
Durability: More than a year now doesn't saw/feels any detoriation
Road use: rural area 40% city 55% (offroad 5%)
Comfort: [8k front/4k rear] bouncy frontal area..rear spot on
Handling [8k front/4k rear] spot on..exactly what i want...but wears down my chasis and tyre pretty fast...

swapped with 6k front springs

Comfort: [6k front/4k rear] less bouncy...wifey complains no more..rear spot on..whats more manage to make my father in law to grab the passenger hand grip in corner without him complaining about back-ache ride..means still maintaining the ride quality and comfort :biggrin: (he's a good driver also)

Handling [6k front/4k rear] firm but atleast now feels better on the chasis and tyre... far less bouncy...but so far manage to speed/left all other car in smokes while cornering...but surely in straights i kena smoke by them la :rofl: (especially while keeping true to a single lane in corner) don't eat other people's lane pleaseeeeeeee....

*what amazed me during highspeed run on speedbumps (drive like mad rally driver) this HWL was much better in comfort than expected.... :biggrin: similar experience on highspeed highway runs on bumpy surface such as around RNR seremban stretch....a bit bumpy if on speed limits...but wayyyy better on higher speed run.....work like a charm.....(and poisoning to drive fast which is bad for my petrol and speed trap police)

p/s: the only regret was because not getting the Hi Lo Soft Hard version.....

Last edited:

jenwhite

Apr 21, 2012
Florida
Car: Toyota Corolla EE90 1991 1.3carb [convert 4age 20v BT]
Brand and model: GAB coil with stock kayaba absorber
Durability: already 1 year [till now still feel like new]
Roads used on: paved road around sungai petani kedah

*Optional
Comfort: not very comfy, but not as bad as coilover/adjustable suspension
Handling: good, give u confident around bend, and during cilok2 at 5000rpm :)
mechanic said handling will be better if match with GAB damper, but stiffer.
im curious to know where did you buy your suspension parts and how much did it cost...

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Car: Honda Integra DB8
Brand and model: BC Racing
Durability: Have been using it for 4 months now, still too early to judge
Roads used on: All types of roads
Comfort: 4/10, parents don't like it
Handling: 7/10, cornering is good but have driven better handling cars

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
Car: Perodua Viva 1.0 AT 2007
Brand and model: HWL hi lo (front and rear can adjust height) – actually this is for myvi
Spring rate: Cannot recall but if not mistaken it shud be 4k for front and rear cuz I inform the staff I want a comfortable ride
Durability: 2years and still using
Roads used on: Bumpy roads, jalan kampung and sometimes highway

Comfort: 5/10
It is actually quite comfortable to drive at normal speed of 80 to 100kmh. Especially when on highway with good road condition can be quite comfy eventhough doing 120kmh. However when encounter bumpy roads/jalan kampung or road humps, can feel that the suspension is quite stiff and everything is shaking. Need to be really slow and steady.

If maintaining with a speed of 110 to 120kmh the car feels great. But going over the speed limit is gonna make me feel lose feedback from the car. Steering feels so numb/empty.

Downside:
After about 6 months there is a sound coming from the rear suspension. Since under warranty, send back for servicing. Then ok again. Now having sound again like klok, klok, klok. Especially when cornering hard or pushing the car to the limit. Eventhough not so loud but still obvious especially if I am alone and the radio was off.
I guess it is because of the coilover for the rear is one piece design with spring (dun recall watchu call this). And I think this is also the cause for the rear to feel much more bumpier. I have ride a viva with separate spring and absorber for the rear and it was not as bumpy as my car.
Fortunately it is still acceptable since my rear passengers can still sleep soundly during long journey balik kampung.

samuelschick

From Facebook
Sep 1, 2010
Subang Jaya
www.facebook.com
Car: Suzuki Swift Sport (ZC31S)
Engine: M16A 5MT
Brand and model: Tein Super Street
Spring rate: front 5kg, rear 4kg
Durability: using it for around 25k mileage
Roads used on: Mostly on bumpy roads, 20% of highway only as i'm living in Kelantan and the road condition here is pretty awful.

pretty bumpy at slow speed and uneven road and car always boucy around quite comfortable when cruising on 110km/h

Handling: 5/10
to me handling on this Tein Super Street is just so so, because it's too soft for my liking. 16 clicks damper adjustment but it's still quite soft even when i set it to full hard setting.

Downside:
too soft for my liking.

Brand and model: BC Racing BR Series
Spring rate: front 5kg, rear 4kg
Durability: just using it for around 5000 km. so far so good.
Roads used on: Mostly on bumpy roads, 20% of highway only as i'm living in Kelantan and the road condition here is pretty awful.
more stiffer but not the bouncy kind of stiff when compared to the Tein Super Street (even it's on same spring rates), the rebound is just right.

Handling: 7/10
now this is nice. handling is sharper and more straight forward. lesser body roll and giving me more confident on twisted road.

Downside:
There's no downside for this coilover just yet since i'm just using it for around 5k of mileage . so far i'm liking it almost half the price of my previous Tein Super Street but performed much better. :adore: