Suspension - Testimonials please

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Padi field? Seriously? That gives "Bawah pokok" a whooooooooooole new meaning
Yeah, seriously.. I can give you the coordinate if you want. But I think better let me be the 'guinea pig' first. I'll update my review from time to time. Two of my friends who did their absorbers at the shop said they're still feel firm after a year. But hey, for RM150 (including workmanship) I think it's worth the price. :driver:

redrose9802

Sep 8, 2008
Car: Proton Gen 2 CPS
Engine: 1.6 Auto
Brand and model: IMP Propex with R3 springs
Durability: Used for only 1 year ++, ok no prob
Roads used on: Town (60%) Highway (30%) Kampung road (10%)

Comfort: 7/10, not much sacrifice on comfort from stock. Still can carry 4 adults KL to Kelantan without making anyone vomit or pening2...

Handling: 5/10, too soft for my liking. Sometime I think that stock absorber is more stiff. Still lot of body roll...

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
Car: Honda City i-dsi
Engine: 1.5 Auto
Brand and model : Standard abs and springs.
Durability: Used for more then 5 years, very good comfort.
Roads used on: Town (60%) Highway (40%).
Comfort: Can carry 5 adults, no problem.
Handling: Not into handling part, comfort is always a priority.

Car : Perodua Alza
Engine : 1.5 Auto
Brand and model : Standard arbs and springs.
Durability : Used for 4 months only.
Roads used on : Town (80%) Highway (20%).
Comfort : Can carry 7 (thats wat the instruction manual says)
Handling : Sampan / Boat. :rofl:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Car: P1 Satria 1.6 (A)
Brand: HWL Hi Lo
Durability: More than a year now doesn't saw/feels any detoriation
Road use: rural area 40% city 55% (offroad 5%)
Comfort: [8k front/4k rear] bouncy frontal area..rear spot on
Handling [8k front/4k rear] spot on..exactly what i want...but wears down my chasis and tyre pretty fast...

swapped with 6k front springs

Comfort: [6k front/4k rear] less bouncy...wifey complains no more..rear spot on..whats more manage to make my father in law to grab the passenger hand grip in corner without him complaining about back-ache ride..means still maintaining the ride quality and comfort :biggrin: (he's a good driver also)

Handling [6k front/4k rear] firm but atleast now feels better on the chasis and tyre... far less bouncy...but so far manage to speed/left all other car in smokes while cornering...but surely in straights i kena smoke by them la :rofl: (especially while keeping true to a single lane in corner) don't eat other people's lane pleaseeeeeeee....

*what amazed me during highspeed run on speedbumps (drive like mad rally driver) this HWL was much better in comfort than expected.... :biggrin: similar experience on highspeed highway runs on bumpy surface such as around RNR seremban stretch....a bit bumpy if on speed limits...but wayyyy better on higher speed run.....work like a charm.....(and poisoning to drive fast which is bad for my petrol and speed trap police)

p/s: the only regret was because not getting the Hi Lo Soft Hard version.....

Last edited:

jenwhite

Apr 21, 2012
Florida
Car: Toyota Corolla EE90 1991 1.3carb [convert 4age 20v BT]
Brand and model: GAB coil with stock kayaba absorber
Durability: already 1 year [till now still feel like new]
Roads used on: paved road around sungai petani kedah

*Optional
Comfort: not very comfy, but not as bad as coilover/adjustable suspension
Handling: good, give u confident around bend, and during cilok2 at 5000rpm :)
mechanic said handling will be better if match with GAB damper, but stiffer.
im curious to know where did you buy your suspension parts and how much did it cost...

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Car: Honda Integra DB8
Brand and model: BC Racing
Durability: Have been using it for 4 months now, still too early to judge
Roads used on: All types of roads
Comfort: 4/10, parents don't like it
Handling: 7/10, cornering is good but have driven better handling cars

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
Car: Perodua Viva 1.0 AT 2007
Brand and model: HWL hi lo (front and rear can adjust height) – actually this is for myvi
Spring rate: Cannot recall but if not mistaken it shud be 4k for front and rear cuz I inform the staff I want a comfortable ride
Durability: 2years and still using
Roads used on: Bumpy roads, jalan kampung and sometimes highway

Comfort: 5/10
It is actually quite comfortable to drive at normal speed of 80 to 100kmh. Especially when on highway with good road condition can be quite comfy eventhough doing 120kmh. However when encounter bumpy roads/jalan kampung or road humps, can feel that the suspension is quite stiff and everything is shaking. Need to be really slow and steady.

Handling: 6/10
If maintaining with a speed of 110 to 120kmh the car feels great. But going over the speed limit is gonna make me feel lose feedback from the car. Steering feels so numb/empty.

Downside:
After about 6 months there is a sound coming from the rear suspension. Since under warranty, send back for servicing. Then ok again. Now having sound again like klok, klok, klok. Especially when cornering hard or pushing the car to the limit. Eventhough not so loud but still obvious especially if I am alone and the radio was off.
I guess it is because of the coilover for the rear is one piece design with spring (dun recall watchu call this). And I think this is also the cause for the rear to feel much more bumpier. I have ride a viva with separate spring and absorber for the rear and it was not as bumpy as my car.
Fortunately it is still acceptable since my rear passengers can still sleep soundly during long journey balik kampung.

samuelschick

From Facebook
Sep 1, 2010
Subang Jaya
www.facebook.com
Car: Suzuki Swift Sport (ZC31S)
Engine: M16A 5MT
Brand and model: Tein Super Street
Spring rate: front 5kg, rear 4kg
Durability: using it for around 25k mileage
Roads used on: Mostly on bumpy roads, 20% of highway only as i'm living in Kelantan and the road condition here is pretty awful.

pretty bumpy at slow speed and uneven road and car always boucy around quite comfortable when cruising on 110km/h

Handling: 5/10
to me handling on this Tein Super Street is just so so, because it's too soft for my liking. 16 clicks damper adjustment but it's still quite soft even when i set it to full hard setting.

Downside:
too soft for my liking.

Brand and model: BC Racing BR Series
Spring rate: front 5kg, rear 4kg
Durability: just using it for around 5000 km. so far so good.
Roads used on: Mostly on bumpy roads, 20% of highway only as i'm living in Kelantan and the road condition here is pretty awful.
more stiffer but not the bouncy kind of stiff when compared to the Tein Super Street (even it's on same spring rates), the rebound is just right.

Handling: 7/10
now this is nice. handling is sharper and more straight forward. lesser body roll and giving me more confident on twisted road.

Downside:
There's no downside for this coilover just yet since i'm just using it for around 5k of mileage . so far i'm liking it almost half the price of my previous Tein Super Street but performed much better. :adore:

Roger89

Known Member
Jan 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Good thread..

Car: Wira SE 1.5 (A) a/b

Brand and model: Sachs Super touring abs (wira 1.6) + se springs front + 1.6 rear springs
Durability: 1 year then I upgraded (see below)
Roads used on: tarmac

Comfort: 7/10 ... Front abs did not match se springs as the absorber rate was harder. Has more body roll and stiff front sus. Rear was perfect match comfy and responsive.

Handling: 6/10. A lot of front body roll..

Brand and model: HWL hi-lo soft-hard 6k front 4k rear
Durability: 1 month (still in use)
Roads used on: tarmac (malaysian roads)

Comfort: 6/10.. bumpy on slow speeds but comfortable on highways. Actually not too bad. I can give it a 7/10 oso because my level of tolerance is more than my passengers...

Handling: 7/10.. Car follows the contour of the road very well.. when I observe other stock cars the chassis dont go up and down so much but mine does haha.. The car does not oscillate more than once when hit a bump. Cornering is good with minimal body roll. But as all wira cars, u need to know how to create oversteer with the brake throttle and steering then the handling will be superb.

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Car: Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8G
Brand: GAB SA + Stock Springs
Durability: 1 1/2 years +-
Roads used on: Mostly city drive with occasional bumpy roads and highways.
Comfort: 7/10 - A bit stiffer than the stock springs but still very comfortable.
Handling: 5/10 - Real nice when 1st installed, can feel the difference in cornering. Enjoyed it about 1 year+ then it begin to feel
like I'm using stock springs....

Raymond852

Oct 10, 2012
chicago
Hi all,I like many cars but i have civic 504 and i want to some information about my car
Car: Civic SO4
Engine: SOHC 1.6 Manual
Brand and model: Tokico OEM shock with original spring
Durability: I bought them brand new about 2 years ago and have covered about 50,000km. Recently could feel them going a bit soft and my front wheel hit the wheel arch when taking fast corners and hitting bump at the same time.
Roads used on: Highway (40%), kampung roads (40%), town (600%)

honda lift kits

Last edited:

markblurberry

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just curios Raymond, where can you get tokico shocks? I search for them high and low, and only found Kayaba. Why tokico? they are one of the best from Land of the Rising Sun, and they basically oem for many tuners - including TRD - not sure if they do it for Honda i.e Mugen etc.... Well TRD sportivo suspension which cost a mind blowing 6.5K is available at Wing HIn...and they are not serviceable, and they are oem by Tokico...probably the materials use is more quality...I am using one on my ride...they are great!!

GasPedal

Known Member
Jun 18, 2008
im curious to know where did you buy your suspension parts and how much did it cost...
mr Jenwhite,
for my absorber i replace at sungai petani, kayaba gas type rm160 each, normal rm140.
for my coil spring i replace at kepala batas, GAB [at box mentioned cold rolled] rm620 complete set.
it still feels like new, i wonder when it gonna go soft....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Car: Toyota Mark X 250G (GRX120)
Brand: Tanabe NF Springs on stock dampers.
Durability: don't know, as the spring is only installed a few months ago and this is a recon 2008 car so don't know how old the stock dampers already.
Roads used: Mostly city drive mixed with highways.
Comfort: very nice, almost like stock springs, just slightly stiffer only.
Handling: slightly better than stock with less body roll and feels more planted.
Looks: just drop nicely with still 2 finger gap in all four corners when using 17' rims & 245/45 tires. Never scrape under body to any speed bumps or ramps yet neither any tires grinding to fender even when fully loaded with 5 people.

So overall happy with my purchase.

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Somehow I can't fail to notice.. Some of you guys shared on better comfort at high speed with stiff springs n suspension. But lower comfort at low speed..

Is it true if suspension is tuned stiffer then it would provide better comfort at high speed? Because sometimes in town driving, I set low damping setting on my bc racing high low soft hard. And it's pretty comfy at town driving.. But when I go outstation, it's bumpy when I hit speed above 100 and beyond its even bumpier..

Was thinking if I set damping setting stiffer, would it help in this case? For better high speed comfort when going outstation. Sifus pls give some comment and feedback! Tq

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Car: wira sedan e3
Brand: Titan hi low adjustables
Durability: using it for nearly 7 yrs..only 1st service last year (entitled 2 free service s promised by Titan)
Comfort: front on 8kg 6kg rear...x too hard but tend to scrape when going on certain bumps..stick on road like on rails :) I'm planning to upgrade to 12kg fronts n 10kgs rear..(y?drove a fren's car on hwl wiz dis setting..excellent)
Handling: quite happy coz feel like on rails with less body roll and feels more planted.
Looks: just drop nicely with still 2 finger gap in all four corners currently on 16s...

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Somehow I can't fail to notice.. Some of you guys shared on better comfort at high speed with stiff springs n suspension. But lower comfort at low speed..

Is it true if suspension is tuned stiffer then it would provide better comfort at high speed? Because sometimes in town driving, I set low damping setting on my bc racing high low soft hard. And it's pretty comfy at town driving.. But when I go outstation, it's bumpy when I hit speed above 100 and beyond its even bumpier..

Was thinking if I set damping setting stiffer, would it help in this case? For better high speed comfort when going outstation. Sifus pls give some comment and feedback! Tq
Yes, stiffer springs and appropriate damping gives better higher speed stability and comfort, but suspension setting isn't just about damping.

what damping adjusts are the rate/speed the springs compress/rebound, thus compression damping and rebound damping are adjustable on high end dampers where springs are changed often like in a track car. If you start to use the dampers to compensate weak springs, something is going to break.. usually the absorber seals.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 05:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

Car: wira sedan e3
Brand: Titan hi low adjustables
Durability: using it for nearly 7 yrs..only 1st service last year (entitled 2 free service s promised by Titan)
Comfort: front on 8kg 6kg rear...x too hard but tend to scrape when going on certain bumps..stick on road like on rails :) I'm planning to upgrade to 12kg fronts n 10kgs rear..(y?drove a fren's car on hwl wiz dis setting..excellent)
Handling: quite happy coz feel like on rails with less body roll and feels more planted.
Looks: just drop nicely with still 2 finger gap in all four corners currently on 16s...

price dude? I'm running 12/10atm on a civic... 10kg is seriously too stiff for rear.. 8kg also quite hard already, 12kg fronts an 7-8kg rear for wira is good enough i think, the difference is due to cast iron block so front naturally spring rate harder

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Oh I got this bout 7yrs ago..price at that time I paid for was 2.8k..wiz 2 free service..x sure whether same applies now..