Suspension bushings for eg/ek

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
With the suspension being double wishbones they are notorious for the bushing noise right... other than oem do I have any other options for replacements? Im having an EK.

I hear a full set will set me back by more than RM1.5k? Thats a lot for some bushing. :(

The other type of bush cost less even if you know what I mean. :biggrin:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
With the suspension being double wishbones they are notorious for the bushing noise right... other than oem do I have any other options for replacements? Im having an EK.

I hear a full set will set me back by more than RM1.5k? Thats a lot for some bushing. :(

The other type of bush cost less even if you know what I mean. :biggrin:
poly bushes are cheaper than oem (AFAIK), but they're a bit harder.

Some brands of poly bushes have ratings, soft, medium to hard.

Some brands have only one rating, so it helps if you have a friend who switched and let you try to see how the ride feels.

I'm only using skunk 2's one that came with the camber kit. But those are definitely harder than some of the other poly bushes I've encountered like Energy Suspension's one.

One thing is that even with soft (relative to high low's) springs, the ride feels a lot harsher, more than I expected.

crxr

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
I have a complete set energy suspension hyperflex red color kit forsale at rm1.2k.

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks Shiro. But does poly bushes come back with those noises after a short time?

I used Super Pro ones on my previous car and and the noise came back after a while. Seemed like a lubrication problem. The current owner is having a bit of an issue with it as well I think.

Didnt know the bush stiffness rate affects the ride that much.

crxr: Is that a new complete set for front and rear? What does the set consist of?
Or only partial where some bushes still require oem replacements (as I got quoted before)

According to a website the whole set from energy suspension will be:
Front control arm bushings
front shock bushings
front sway bar bushings
front & rear coil spring isolators
rear trailing arm bushings
manual transmission shifter stabilizer bushings
rack & pinion bushings
front ball joint
tie rod end boots

Last edited:

crxr

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
front shock bushings
Yes, complete like the web site stated.

front control arm bushings
front shock bushings
front sway bar bushings - typeR will not fit
rack & pinion bushings - typeR don't know can fit or not
front ball joint
tie rod end boots - typeR cannot use

I know cause I am using it.

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks Shiro. But does poly bushes come back with those noises after a short time?

I used Super Pro ones on my previous car and and the noise came back after a while. Seemed like a lubrication problem. The current owner is having a bit of an issue with it as well I think.

Didnt know the bush stiffness rate affects the ride that much.

crxr: Is that a new complete set for front and rear? What does the set consist of?
Or only partial where some bushes still require oem replacements (as I got quoted before)

According to a website the whole set from energy suspension will be:
front shock bushings
front sway bar bushings
rack & pinion bushings
front ball joint
tie rod end boots
The sounds are normal.. I guess its a slight tradeoff.. though I don't think they were that loud. I greased the polybushes myself for mine, so far no sounds/squeaks, even after 20,000kms.. dunno how long that will last though.

Yeah, bush stiffness makes the ride a lot stiffer, at least for mine. It seems every single minor bump of the road makes itself felt.

But after breaking a few rubber mounts on mine in a 'relatively short time span', I'm swapping to polys, vibration/noise be damned.

Last edited:

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks crxr. Will pm you about it if I decide to replace the bushings with PU. Is that the best price?

Shiro: Cause I totally cannot stand the clik-clak noise from those bushings ahaha. The squeaky noises are more tolerable but I still hate them. Hence Im considering replacing them with normal rubber ones. But if lubricating it properly helps then maybe ill consider...

My current ones now are fine except for the noises. Might just live with it. Sigh.

Not so sure if I want a stiffer ride, though you said energy suspension ones are not that stiff...

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks crxr. Will pm you about it if I decide to replace the bushings with PU. Is that the best price?

Shiro: Cause I totally cannot stand the clik-clak noise from those bushings ahaha. The squeaky noises are more tolerable but I still hate them. Hence Im considering replacing them with normal rubber ones. But if lubricating it properly helps then maybe ill consider...

My current ones now are fine except for the noises. Might just live with it. Sigh.

Not so sure if I want a stiffer ride, though you said energy suspension ones are not that stiff...
I meant they're less stiff than skunk2's one. Dunno if they're softer than superpro. S2's are almost like plastic type hardness. I can't even put a mark on it with my nail.

They have ratings, esp. for the hyperflex line
HYPER-FLEX PERFORMANCE POLYURETHANE

While superpro has only one, I think.

Don't really know for sure, but greasing is the only way to remove squeaks. if clik clak, I think they're worn to the point of being loose?

Last edited:

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
Polyurethane bushes are the shit.

noise is the only tradeoff, but not that apparent.

Oh, and dont spray WD-40 or any other spray to eliminate the noise. It will 'eat' into the bushes.

Just use normal grease.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Polyurethane bushes are the shit.

noise is the only tradeoff, but not that apparent.

Oh, and dont spray WD-40 or any other spray to eliminate the noise. It will 'eat' into the bushes.

Just use normal grease.
Actually not even normal grease. Most petroleum based grease (that's 99% of em in Malaysia) are bad for poly bushes.

I bought a can of poly grease from superpro, and I used that for the S2 bushes, since they didn't come with one, and on a discussion with the Skunk2 support staff, they recommend not using any grease, and live with the squeaks, or use non-petroleum grease (graphite grease, for instance). According to S2 staff, petroleum based grease attacks polyurethane.

So I got a dedicated grease for poly bushes and they're totally different from any of the petroleum grease I've encountered. Graphite grease is hard to obtain in Malaysia, and I could not find any that has zero petroleum content. Hence my choice of using superpro's grease.

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
There are many types and brand of lithium grease, some have zero petroleum based compound, and use teflon and other chemicals, while some have petroleum (molybenum) based chemicals added in.

Hard to say, and the only way to check is by checking the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) datasheet that every manufacturer that makes chemical based substances need to provide.

Depending on brands, some have and some doesn't.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

does anyone noe da max spring diameter can a satria take at the rear????

those original satria rear suspension mount, can take wat diameter? anyone noes? urgent...!!! coz i hav a tein HA, which uses a taper styled spring, its smaller diameter at da bottom n bigger on the top...its 70mm at bottom 90mm on da top...

http://www.jaydm.com/tein/standard.htm - can refer ere for da type of spring im talkin bout

thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience