Spot & seam welded body..

koopang

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
I've seen a lot of people rebuilding a car for racing purpose or for on the road will go through this process.. especially more than 10 years car.. Whats the Ocassion & Advantage? How much the cost? Where can be done? thanks.. :D :D :D

taqu

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
1. Why spot/seam weld the car body? To make the body stronger. A stronger body helps alot in improving car's handling, which is very critical in racing.

2. Cost? Over RM1000

3. Street cars rarely go for spot/seam welding coz the process is very hard (u have to remove car paint and strip off everything out of ur car (engine/interior/everything) leaving only bare chassis, after welding u have to repaint & put back ur car components).

olskool

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
PJ
well..as for me..i did a simple spot weld for my everyday car. i did the A, B and C pillars of the car where i noticed the flex. also some coners around it. So i striped the interior of my car (do it urself so it would be cheaper) and got it welded at a spray shop... cost me about rm80. then i bought a oil based paint (for rm15) and painted it myself. i noticed a significant amout of difference afterthat..

just ask ur friend to sit in the passenger seat and when ur taking a hard right corner ask him to place his finger in between the window frame and the body of the car (where the door rubber is).. you can actually feel the window frame opening up at the top slightly (old cars..new cars not too much). mine was pretty bad that wind started coming in but after i did the welding.. no wind!! :) i'm driving a 23yr old car...

hope this helped...just offering my 1cent :)

koopang

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
I'll agree with your opinion Olskool.. I've no intention to convert my car for track uce.. Its my everyday car.. since I'm converting the engine so thats why thought to do some simple spot weld.. maybe engine bay area and rear axl area (its FR car).. is it enough to feel the different or is there any other places need to be weld too.. thanks..

olskool

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
PJ
no probs dude...btw..i have a friend that bought a mag from japan recently and i saw (in the pics and ask him to translate) how they strenghten their car bodys the cheap and budget way. they only use those 1/2cm steel L brackets and place at the necessary area. so simple!!! then they use the cars for drift... :lol: :lol:

koopang

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ya.. laa olskool.. put some pics for us laa or any websites on this topics can share.. ;) ;)

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
hi oldschool....
can tell me how u weld plz?
:)
me also wan to do it...

anyway. .. can scan some pages of the jap magazine and share with us plz?

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
increasing of weight.. a bit only right?

anyway.. oldschool... wait your scanned page.. :)

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Stengthening adds weight....
Actually it's much easier to get a roll cage fabricated for a street car then seam/ spot welding......
Very tedious process.....

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
Problem with roll cages is that it's illegal if spotted by our datuks and uncles in blue, white and blue... :lol:

spot and seam weld does increase chassis rigidity, but up to street levels. for track and autokhanas, a roll cage is a must.

will try polyurethane fill into chassis once i got the time to look for the person. Heard from newspapers this fella can do it for less than 1K...how much i dunno.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've 1 HKS 3037 turbo need repair, the bearing come out oredi.. any workshop is the most recommanded or anyone here can pm me if u're doing repair turbo service..
roughly how much if repair this kind of ball bearing turbo?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience