Sport car for fresh grads

Seng_song

Known Member
Jan 16, 2009
Penang
Greetings all! How are you?

I believe all the forumners here dreams or owns their own sport car. Its inevitable for us not dream to get own one. Same goes to me. I ever dream it since child where during my childhood, I used to live in the era of Evo 4-6, Mazda RX7, Skyline R32, R32, Silvia S14, Fairlady 300ZX, Mitsubishi FTO and GZTO and etc where I saw all these kind of sport cars in movies, car magazines and for sure on the road.

So, I make promise to myself that I gonna get this one. So, I used to study hard (to make this story more interesting...ha3..but I really study quite hard) to fulfil my promise. I'll graduated in this coming June. So, I'm planning to get my own sport car but with within my budget as fresh grad. Currently I'm driving a stock P2 Kenari where it is my daily car and I intend to keep this car as my daily car for working.

What do you think about Silvia S14 as sport car for fresh grad? In terms of easy of maintenance and maintenance cost? I don't talk about fuel consumption because I know that higher power comes with higher FC. I'm fully aware with that. Based on my observation, it cost around 50-60K plus the engine "just" 2.0 compare to R33, 300ZX, GTO. The car price seem like affordable, just want to know more about maintenance cost. It looks very good with S15 front cut.:driver:

Or if you got any other recommendation? Thanks for viewing this post. Enjoy posting :wavey:

Seng_song

Known Member
Jan 16, 2009
Penang
Car prize is very affordable but I do have very limited knowledge in conti's sport car. How about its maintenance? It is very costly compared to japs or it is actually at par with japs?

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
how much budget do u have for "sport car"? since u r fresh grad, i would suggest u find a good job, work for atleast 1 year n above then only consider buying ur own car with ur affortability.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

unless your parents is paying for that

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

only consider a sport car when u have a steady job, financially stable.. is not easy to maintain a car like this.

Seng_song

Known Member
Jan 16, 2009
Penang
Maximum budget should be around 60k. I'm not meaning to get real soon. I'm agree that atleast 1 year where we can say that steady job. It's still considered as recent graduate worker. I'm appreciate your posting because this is what I think most of fresh grad who really love sport car do think about. So, from this posting, we can figure out what the best for fresh grads. Thanks!

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
yes, getting a loan also not easy though, especially now with the strict rules from bank negara. Loan term n amount will be based on age of the car, i guess ur budget around 60k hard to get any sport car below 10 years.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
powerful cars maintenance all about the same, expensive. turbo leak, exhaust pecah (if it was done by yellow sign shops), bov diaphragm wear out, radiator overheat etc. an affordable alternative is the hairdresser's sports car.. Toyota Celica. Naturally aspirated 1zz/2zz engines, has the beautiful looks and generally gutless.

if you're pushing the limits of your budgets to buy it, I doubt you can pay the installment and maintenance at the same time.

pupjoint

Known Member
Jun 3, 2007
why not start with how much you are making a month or how much do you forsee yourself making a month in a years time and how much you are prepared to spend a month on basic maintainence?

lets forget about mods for fresh grads, unless like mentioned you have someone paying for you.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Ambitious? Definitely.

But be realistic about monthly loan payment and maintenance of owning a sports car.

Not to mentioned, saving some money for the rainy days, etc.

Seng_song

Known Member
Jan 16, 2009
Penang
yes, getting a loan also not easy though, especially now with the strict rules from bank negara. Loan term n amount will be based on age of the car, i guess ur budget around 60k hard to get any sport car below 10 years.
Ya, I'm fully aware with that. It's better buying cash through personal loan.

powerful cars maintenance all about the same, expensive. turbo leak, exhaust pecah (if it was done by yellow sign shops), bov diaphragm wear out, radiator overheat etc. an affordable alternative is the hairdresser's sports car.. Toyota Celica. Naturally aspirated 1zz/2zz engines, has the beautiful looks and generally gutless.

if you're pushing the limits of your budgets to buy it, I doubt you can pay the installment and maintenance at the same time.
Ya, I also think Toyota Celica is a great option. Stock Celica price same as Myvi Extream Lagi Best...haha...great recommendation!

why not start with how much you are making a month or how much do you forsee yourself making a month in a years time and how much you are prepared to spend a month on basic maintainence?

lets forget about mods for fresh grads, unless like mentioned you have someone paying for you.
Not started working yet, but will start this coming July. Being offered 33K per annum. So, can say that able to spend around 300 just for maintenance. For sure not talking about mods, just stock one is enough.

After all, its not about myself. Its about fresh grads capabilities of owning "budget" sport car. I'm just an example of one of the fresh grad.:itsme:

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Ambitious? Definitely.

But be realistic about monthly loan payment and maintenance of owning a sports car.

Not to mentioned, saving some money for the rainy days, etc.
Hehe...its quite ambitious...but it must be realistic...that's why I said budget around 50-60K. I take budget as around Myvi SE & Extream where I found that it is the most choice of fresh grads. But for sure owning a sport car need additional budget on maintenance.

hanhng

Known Member
Nov 14, 2009
The earth
I used to have a same thinking as you when I was a fresh grads myself, even though I have been working for about 1 and a half year, I still can't afford used sports car as they are really expensive in the country where we live, given the import tax rate is relatively high and it makes you think twice. But yeah, I have got lucky to have owned a R33 Skyline when I was studying in Australia, used cars are really cheap there, you can get skylines/silvias/180sx/soarer within a budget of AUD8,000. But when it comes to maintenance, you will have to pay a lot more as they are really old cars, some parts are really worn out depends on their condition. It's really expensive to maintain an old car, I been there, believe me. Think twice unless your parent not going to make any noise about the maintenance :P

Seng_song

Known Member
Jan 16, 2009
Penang
I used to have a same thinking as you when I was a fresh grads myself, even though I have been working for about 1 and a half year, I still can't afford used sports car as they are really expensive in the country where we live, given the import tax rate is relatively high and it makes you think twice. But yeah, I have got lucky to have owned a R33 Skyline when I was studying in Australia, used cars are really cheap there, you can get skylines/silvias/180sx/soarer within a budget of AUD8,000. But when it comes to maintenance, you will have to pay a lot more as they are really old cars, some parts are really worn out depends on their condition. It's really expensive to maintain an old car, I been there, believe me. Think twice unless your parent not going to make any noise about the maintenance :P
Its a good point of view. I appreciate that. So means that it's very hard to owning a sport car even "budget" sport car due to old age. How luck you are. R33 also my fav but it over 60k budget. For sure cannot afford. So, I maybe end up just stay with my current ride for atleast 3 years before owning a sport car. Hahahaha....:banghead:

keeltha

Known Member
Jan 13, 2011
Selangor
RM33,000 income per annum -no point having a sport car. At least RM60,000.

Buy used car with cash RM50k but to replace those aged parts u will need around RM10k.

So to repay your RM60k you will still need to pay for car maintenance, petrol, insurance, saving to buy a house, $$ to spend with girls and friends etc.

Worked 1 year and then buy sportcar ? I dont encourage that... The most important things u shall concentrate now is how to progress in your career, enjoyment come later. If you buy the car now, you wont really enjoy it due to your income. Dont rush... just be patient when you realise u got some white hairs on your head only then consider to buy a sportcar.

My opinion sounds old but it is REALISTIC... You imagine every month paycheck time all your $$ is gone in blink of eye... It is kinda demotivate yourself... when financial go bad, things around you all gone crazy...

I am not asking you to give up the dream but just be patient and work hard (at least 5 years ?) and the day will come... Dont push yourself to the edge at the beginning...

GANBATE !!

ps: My dream car is Italia 458 T_T I guess i have to work another 100 years to own it.... agrh... sux ROFL !!

pupjoint

Known Member
Jun 3, 2007
RM33,000 income per annum -no point having a sport car. At least RM60,000.

Buy used car with cash RM50k but to replace those aged parts u will need around RM10k.

So to repay your RM60k you will still need to pay for car maintenance, petrol, insurance, saving to buy a house, $$ to spend with girls and friends etc.

Worked 1 year and then buy sportcar ? I dont encourage that... The most important things u shall concentrate now is how to progress in your career, enjoyment come later. If you buy the car now, you wont really enjoy it due to your income. Dont rush... just be patient when you realise u got some white hairs on your head only then consider to buy a sportcar.

My opinion sounds old but it is REALISTIC... You imagine every month paycheck time all your $$ is gone in blink of eye... It is kinda demotivate yourself... when financial go bad, things around you all gone crazy...

I am not asking you to give up the dream but just be patient and work hard (at least 5 years ?) and the day will come... Dont push yourself to the edge at the beginning...

GANBATE !!

ps: My dream car is Italia 458 T_T I guess i have to work another 100 years to own it.... agrh... sux ROFL !!
cant agree more. your take home is 2K plus, you still need to maintain your daily transport Kenari, unless you have some other means of money coming in, i dont see how you can afford a sports car unless it is given to you free.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im currently using 17inch rim, 205/40 tyre. Can all the sifu's recommend me which sport spring should I go for? I need to find a better one to Tahan first coz not enough budget. mayb 3-4 months later oni go for ADJ hi/low.
I would like to have 1.5 / 2 finger front side and 2 finger rear side. And also not SO SO bumpy on uneven road. I scared those cap plang brand like APM, so damn low until hit ur mudguard so when u go thru uneven road, ( GG )
PLEASE SIFU'S !! HELP ME IN THESE !!
Zmax...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience