should i get civic type r fd2r or integra dc5?

Which is the Type-R to Buy?

• FD2 Civic Type-R

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • DC5 Civic Type-R

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FN2 Civic Type-R

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rikmun

Nov 18, 2009
Perak
FD2R is the best!I got to ride on one FD2R when my dad help his customer to service the FD2R.Very quick pick up.If someone know whats a Type-R is,they'll sure know how to differentiate between a CIVIC Type R and a normal FD2.The brakes will surely tell it out.Big brembo brakes.

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
i will go for dc5,its more like a sports car rather than dc5,yeah i know ctr is fast,but if dc5 put on the same tyres and suspension,which one will win?
rather than that,u'll look 10 years younger in a dc5.
theres a lot of immitation fd2r.

nikolaiski

Known Member
Nov 4, 2005
Dear Threadstarter,

Having co-owned a DC5R with a friend of mine in Sydney (because broke after buying a Skyline..lol) and having driven an FD2R from Singapore-Cameron Highlands and back to Singapore (stopping on the way at Sepang for a track day) I have gathered precious few things about both cars:

The Integra's stock suspension setup can be a bit difficult to tune, ESPECIALLY the first gen DC5Rs with the curvy headlamps. Alot of owners have seriously F$#%@ed up the handling by lowering their cars, and the aftermarket suspensions often upset the handling balance of the car. The best way to go was to leave it stock. Engine has never been a problem with all the god damn ECUs and frankenstein K24A setups out there (350bhp torque monster), so that should be the least of your concerns.

Driving the DC5R requires skill - the car oversteers readily upon lifting off the throttle, you could say a little like the RX7/RX8, which is a good thing because you can really steer the car with the throttle. NOT say the FD2R doesn't, of course, but more on that later. In my opinion, if you buy the DC5R, you don't even need an aftermarket LSD to enhance the handling. In fact, just leave the car as it is.

On the road, as a daily driver, the DC5R would be the more compliant and FUN of the two cars, simply because the suspension stroke accommodates one more over bumpy roads - and the car is less skittish because of that, which is where we come to the FD2R.

Power wise, the FD2R's K20A has a slight increase in compression ratio, mods to the runners/inlet ports/e-throttle...and about 5PS more than the DC5R's one. The power delivery feels more "solid" as compared to the DC5R as I think the tuning is different..from 4000rpm macam got more punch into the 2nd cam which there's even more PUNCH after that.

The Brembos are also BESAR (front: FD2R - 320mm vs DC5R - 300mm) but not as big as my Evo 9 Brembos at 330mm...muahaha (prasan!)

No doubt you might have heard of how STIFF the god damn bodyshell is, and yes, unfortunately, torsional rigidity seems to be the big in-thing these days - every new car is stiffer than the last, and the manufacturers make a big hoo-haa of it. Any stiffer, and you could probably get all three wheels off the ground just by jacking up one corner of the car...lol

But how is STIFFNESS a good thing on the roads? The DC5R has a shorter wheelbase (2700 vs 2570mm) and in track spec, weighs like 1100+kg without the aircon, spare tyre, etc etc...road spec not too sure..

Cornering - It has to be said that the DC5R DOES NOT need to be so stiff in order to cut a corner as well as the FD2R, which has 18" wheels. I hate to say this, but the Civic Type R gets a big part of it's cornering ability from it's wheels and 225/40 profile semi-slicks alone (DC5R - 215/45 17") According to a Honda engineer that I managed to speak to about the FD2R at it's beta testing during the 2006 Merdeka Millennium Endurance race at Sepang, they designed the suspension and alignment settings just so they could fit in bigger wheels, which to a large extent, limit it's cornering abilities to a smooth piece of road. Show it a few bumps and the ride becomes unbearable and the driver finds that there is loss of control due to the extremely stiff suspension, where it becomes more skittish over irregularities as compared to the Integra Type R.

HOWEVER, all the FD2R's improvements are very much track focused, ie if you like to track, and you want a track-ready car that will makan alot of Evos and whatnot, then go for the Civic Type R. The factory LSD is GREAT, THEN you will really feel the difference and reap the benefits.

There's ALOT of traction, almost no torque steer when u open the vtec, and it doesn't understeer where you'd expect it to. Not once did I feel the need to kick the clutch just to get the car to up it's revs in order to get out of corners because the gearing is better than a DC5R, which can be a little tricky to get into the VTEC zone in certain corners (never driven it on Sepang though..so wouldn't know). Also, the rear doesn't swing out as much as a DC5R as Honda have corrected this (ie. more BORING..lol) Just don't expect it to be fun when driving on a less-smooth piece of road. For that you have the DC5R OR the FN2 Type R, which despite the ridiculous understeer according to Jeremy Clarkson, is actually quite fun when not driving on the limit.

Technically speaking, gears 1-3 on the FD2R have been shortened while 4-6 have been enlarged compared to the DC5R, so you SHOULD expect better pickup and more relaxed cruising (I can't actually remember any difference though...hahaha)

However, if you want a car that does street, track and a little more comfort, the DC5R is your car of choice. When you buy a Type R, you should NOT care about how many people sit where or how many doors the car has or WORSE, how "COOL" it looks or what people say about it, but rather, how the car FEELS to you when you are behind the drivers seat.

O ya, speaking of driver's seat and going away from the performance aspects of these two cars, the STOCK DC5R seats might have been deeper because I felt that it was better fitting for me, macam ada MORE support in hard corners compared to the FD2R, which feels shallow and like it's gunna throw you out at the next hard corner which can be a BIG concern if you track alot. BUT of course there are always aftermarket seats...-grin-

As stiff as the FD2R is, it's easier to drive in your typical KL jam because the dashboard is the same as your typical spaceship Civic - low and wide, compared to the in-your-face treatment of the DC5R's panel dash. I remember I had no problem cutting here and there when going through Sungai Besi punya toll at 5:30pm in the evening. But that also doesn't make the FD2R any more special than your standard Civic when you're inside because the steering wheel (save for the red stitching) is the same as any other Civic and feels too big in a Type R (so another point to the DC5R here) but in saving grace, it DOES have telescopic adjustment like Euro cars which is VERY IMPORTANT to me because my arms are very SHORT, and I like to stretch my legs out while the steering is closer to me so I can bend my arms more.

Each Type R should feel like a natural extension of yourself, much like how BMW M3s used to be, much less so nowadays. Therefore, decide what you need, performance wise, and go from there. Hope this helps :)

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
FD2R for me. Doesn't care if there are lots of FD2R "celup" out there.:thefinger:
Doesn't matter if peoples thoughts it's not original, as long as I enjoy it's driving excitement.

apaitubulan

Known Member
Jan 21, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
you'll never know if the integra is type s before

p/s : fd2r will be my choice :driver:

yes,integra type S is available out there, but can we find they convert it to type R compare with fd 2 converted to fd2r?

but,most important, go and do a research about the technical spec, performance, feedback from fd2r and dc5r owner before..

then we can make a decision which one can suit us...

for me both got the pros n cons...both are the type R and all the type R are awesome!its build for performance!R for revolutinary! R is absolutely not for a PLAYBOY!

either u choose fd2r or dc5r, u already success to choose honda!the way u dreams!

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
fd2r is much more better in term of power and handling. but er.... i still opt for dc5. such an awesome 2 doors sport car. furthermore, it is quite rare to see dc5 on the road.

p/s: we can see lot of 'FD2r' in malaysian road. sooo... i hope u get what i meant :}

yurigtr

Known Member
Jan 19, 2005
before you decide on which of these two great machine to buy (doesnt really matter which. cause both these are GREAT),

Do you eat rice? you might be called a ricer....if you cant stomach that...dont buy...

Be like those who buy a car to attract chicks or be "special"..... go with the crowds.... :)

p/s: you are paying and you are gonna drive it, test drive and evaluate the choices yourself.

alternatively, you can ask the phenomenal wikimeor.

kimoka

Known Member
Jul 20, 2006
the inexhaustible meorleaks will be able to provide some help in deciding in choosing between the 2.slow, Type Rice cars :P

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
Wikimeor says.........................Screw DC5, Screw FD2R. Get S2000. Muahahahahaha!!!!!!

then Meorleaks says....................K24 engine can fit into S2000 perfectly by just purchasing K2F adapter plate...............U get best of both world... Muahaha!!!

nashlovebrown

2,000 RPM
Aug 26, 2005
kl
DC5 for sure ... more sporty look 2 doors.... :D anyway its the same engine haha ... but saw some UTube, FD2R more faster ermmm ...

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
DC5 for sure ... more sporty look 2 doors.... :D anyway its the same engine haha ... but saw some UTube, FD2R more faster ermmm ...
yeah no doubt the fd2r will outperform the dc5r in stock vs stock condition because the fd2r is really a race/track ready car as it is to post decent lap times
but the dc5r is much better looking and more comfortable for a daily driver althought not practical some may argue because of 2 doors but then again some of us might like that :biggrin:
again DC5RRRR!!! :adore:

Nic121

Known Member
Mar 7, 2006
there're too many converted FD2R running outside...get a rare breed DC5R, simple n clean looking...i own a DC5R, but i drove FD2 non R as well...hehehe

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Although Japanese magazines are notorious for their photoshop work, these ones could be revealing the real thing by “Best Car”. The magazine also talks about a 300 Hp output and a maximum torque of 45 kgm for the new Impreza WRX STi.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience