101 reasons you should dyno your stock car.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
You know, chris of pentagon mentioned about having baseline dyno results before you mod your car.. I think he has a point, and I'm going to post a more detailed reason why I went and dyno a fully stock B16A with the stock ECU with just exhaust and intake mods..

So that's why I did for mine, and I posted the results on zth..

unfortunately.. the dyno reads mine a little high.. to high in fact, for a stock B16A.. in fact, I'm making power comparable to that of a stock 1.8. Dyno reads high? Possibly, but with 2.1L setup getting 190 whp (before) 210 atw (after tuning).. it can't be that far off, right? (on the same time and day I dyno'ed my car too)

Why did I dyno a stock car in the first place, you ask?

Well the reason I did it because.

a) I want to find out exactly how the stock B16A performs.
b) I want to find out how much power I'm making, and 'where' I'm making them.
c) I wanted to know if the mods I make did result in an improvement of a stock B16A that usually see about 130-140hp.
d) I wanted to see how well the stock honda ECU copes with improved intake and headers.
e) I wanted to know why is it that my car can keep up with a B18C on high rpms, but 'makan asap' when at low rpms.

The results..
The header and intake resulted in a lean mixture at high rpms.. plugs were whitish for a while, and I decided on the ghetto route of getting a type R regulator (which I know makes more fuel pressure than my stock B16A unit) I have to get a sard unit soon though.. but the blue/red color - blergh! Haven't seen a chrome unit yet though.. I know they're available.

That cured the lean mixture problem, but it killed low end power with it's fuel enrichment on low rpms..

So.. guys.. dyno your stock engines.. you might just find that your car makes pretty good power, and then you can decide your modifications.

The strange thing is.. I'm still getting good fuel economy. I suspect the honda P30 can lean out fuel mixtures, but cannot enrich mixtures unless it goes into 'limp mode'. I don't think they're capable of doing much though.. probably about 10-20% of fuelling adjustment for fuel economy.

Now if only someone can borrow me a LM-1 to datalog the stock ECU fuelling on mine. I'm going to do some experiments on how introducing resistance to the exhaust and then clearing it up will affect the ECU fuelling.

Friend went and sold his.. (>.<)

So consider this a resurrection of the dyno thread.. this time it's not to compare, but to log a baseline of B-series and their various iteration.

You may just be surprised how much myth is being spread out on XXXX part guaranteed to net 10hp, esp those from taiwan and such.

I'll post mine later.. with engine specs.. since it's mine.. I don't bloody care if people see it or not.

You'd be surprised at how little mod you need for stage 1 of getting power out of a honda.. no VAFC (it helps though).. no micro compressor/surbo/etc shit.

Just reputable intakes and exhaust system upgrade, and a fuel regulator nets more power than 99% of the unproven stuff people put in their car.

You know.. I see a lot of fat tube intakes.. but are you sure they generate power? I've seen a few years back how the stock airbox works better that the plastic fat tube intake that seems to be popular since maybe 2-3 years ago?

Dynoed a slightly modded 96' R on it (DC2 4-1 headers).. 163whp with fat tube intake, dyno with stock airbox and new filter (165whp), mugen airbox 166whp.

Seems like the mugen airbox is a poor buy at 1K+, but coupled with the mugen extractors, final was around 170+whp.

See how the combo's complement each other?

A lot of people simply butt dyno, but I bet you don't realise that a flat spot in the torque curve would give the impression that the car is faster... :P

Better get a G-sensor (not the one measuring the G-spot ah!)
or get a timed sprint run (from second gear at a preset rev range like 2K or so, if from standstill, you will find your times varying) b4 and after if you don't have access to a dyno.

Remember, as hp numbers climb in an NA engine.. it's harder to get more.. 10hp gain on stock is easy, 20hp or more gets progressively harder as your hp number climbs.

Don't be surprised at people spending 10K for that final 10-15hp they wanted.

I hope turbo civic owners that recently joined zth will post theirs as well. It's one thing to claim 300hp, it's quite another to have dyno papers to back it up with.

I'll try get some of my friends to post theirs, if they're willing.

Last edited:

SA6YEuro

500 RPM
Feb 24, 2004
Sin City
Visit site
shiro, great write up....

i totally agree wif u on this... unfortunately theres still a lot of misconception bout dynoing the car (in general of course)..... the usual mentatility is "my car will b very teruk after dyno! sure rev my car till rosak lah! this problem come lah! tt problem come lah!" n so on....

as 4 me, i did my dyno wif 100% stock B16A1 manual internals, straight thru exhaust, hks dry type mushroom, PR3 ecu which has been rechipped...... i got a very disappointing 139whp onli..... yup.... y so freakin lo??

after the dyno, i found out my my car is running super rich all the time coz both my o2 sensors has been disabled, pistons rings worn due 2 old age... hehehe compression leak ler.... gear box not chun as well..... i know where n when my real power comes or wats left of it..... the ideal shifting point..... etc...

2 me i learned on wat has 2 b done n improved.... not juz simply whackin parts in2 the car n not knowing wat u actually benefit fr it.... in fact it might screw up the cars economy, reliability n driveability..... imagine somethin simple like spark plugs can make a lot of difference....

at least i know now wat i shuld spend on instead of guessing....

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
i'm just being curious...how accurate is the HP reading from a RSM together with the G-sensor?...as compare to the actual dyno machine.....
Forget the numbers.. all dyno numbers aren't accurate anyway.. (for me at least)

Like looking at dyno sheets.. all those numbers mean nothing.. it's the shape of the torque curve that matters for you to decide your tune/upgrades.

What matters is if you made power.. and that's only measureable by acceleration times. And the thing that affects your acceleration times is the shape of the torque curve you get on the dyno.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
shiro, great write up....

i totally agree wif u on this... unfortunately theres still a lot of misconception bout dynoing the car (in general of course)..... the usual mentatility is "my car will b very teruk after dyno! sure rev my car till rosak lah! this problem come lah! tt problem come lah!" n so on....

as 4 me, i did my dyno wif 100% stock B16A1 manual internals, straight thru exhaust, hks dry type mushroom, PR3 ecu which has been rechipped...... i got a very disappointing 139whp onli..... yup.... y so freakin lo??

after the dyno, i found out my my car is running super rich all the time coz both my o2 sensors has been disabled, pistons rings worn due 2 old age... hehehe compression leak ler.... gear box not chun as well..... i know where n when my real power comes or wats left of it..... the ideal shifting point..... etc...

2 me i learned on wat has 2 b done n improved.... not juz simply whackin parts in2 the car n not knowing wat u actually benefit fr it.... in fact it might screw up the cars economy, reliability n driveability..... imagine somethin simple like spark plugs can make a lot of difference....

at least i know now wat i shuld spend on instead of guessing....
That's why.. a lot of people simply plonk in a chipped ECU without knowing what it does.

There are some chips with holes...

And also the fact that some engines need freshening up after getting picked up from the junkyard..

New gaskets and rubber seals are usually the minimum for an overhault... but still I see people buying halfcut and plonking in straight into the engine bay.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Hahha.. modding a car is study, study and more study most of the time...
That's why it can be a long term hobby, if done right.

Why plonk in a part if you have totally no idea what it does?

Here's a screen cap of what I'm doing now, I've been sleeping since 5.30pm just now.. :P

My lame B16A...
Torque at engine

143Nm/105.4lbs-ft/14.4kg-m on engine (worse than wira 1.6 oh!) at lower rev ranges... the inherent problem with having small displacement engines, but want to make big power.

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
the 101+1 reason why u need to dyno is to find out about detonation.

you may have a good a/f reading, but it doesnt tell you about detonation on the graph.

a proper dyno tuning will require some knocking device attached. wrongly set ignitions are a timebomb to your engine.

i have heard many cases after dyno, ppl go home and the engine blew with a good a/f ratio.

a dying cond rod bearing is just waiting for a good bump on the ignition to blow it.

V8_nutter

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
Hahha.. modding a car is study, study and more study most of the time...
That's why it can be a long term hobby, if done right.

Why plonk in a part if you have totally no idea what it does?

Here's a screen cap of what I'm doing now, I've been sleeping since 5.30pm just now.. :P

My lame B16A...
Torque at engine

143Nm/105.4lbs-ft/14.4kg-m on engine (worse than wira 1.6 oh!) at lower rev ranges... the inherent problem with having small displacement engines, but want to make big power.
You torque is weak,,,not good for dragging. Who tune your engine though ?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
You torque is weak,,,not good for dragging. Who tune your engine though ?
Tuned? hahaha.. seriously...

This is the stock P30 ecu... not chipped, nothing..

I just did it for the baseline.

You think I'll let other people tune the engine ah? :P

Last edited:

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
oit enuf...

leme share something b4 u going to dyno ur car...

1.make sure u record ur tire pressures n record them. u want to run the same tire pressure everytime u go to dyno..

2.also important to run using the same wheels n tires each time as wheel weight n tire rolling resistance makes a different from run to run...

normally n/a engine will get a best result after 3-4 run...

before going dyno better u warm up 1st ur engine by driving it about 15min (from n1 to amoil kaa... pusing2...). this will ensure that ur gbox oil is up to operating temperature.. i believe that cold gbox with thick oil wil kill as much as 3-5 kuasa kuda.

n make sure u running dyno session with the same smoothing factor.. go to any dyno website to know what is that smoothing factor..

the higher smoothing factor, the lower the peak hp will be.

make sure the dyno operator enter the correct humidity (some dyno can read the humidity automatically... some not.. the can enter it)

finally, u can rev till 11k... hehe

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Hahaha.. good contribution hattech.

I also warmed up my car before a dyno run, and also did multiple runs.. run until rev-cut oso.. :P

Use normal semi-synth only. 10-40.. :P

What J101 say also true.. to check for detonation.. but for NA cars.. detonation is not so common, unless running very high compressions like high 12s or 13s.

Because I've noticed that AFR off by one full value leaner sometimes still quite okay.. unless running very high ignition numbers..

mine at high rev is near 30+, I think.. hard to say for sure, because the stock crank pulley only has the TDC mark on it. Static timing at 16, checked with timing light.

Last edited:

xxxx

1,500 RPM
Feb 9, 2005
aik hattech,

i know which book got teach tat......hahahahaha......

shiro,

i'm sorry becos i din get wat do u mean by the first graph u showed......
u said after tuned....but wat did u tuned? haha.....sorry ya, a bit slow here....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Speedcar Series will feature an eight-date, 16 race calendar on tracks across Asia and the Middle East.

GRAND RACING EVENTS

Speedcar Series will form part of the Grand Racing events featuring exciting 2-day race meetings in partnership with GP2 Asia.

The Grand Racing events will feature more than 6 hours of combined racing action offering spectators a similarly thrilling program on both Race Day 1...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience