Project Holly - a live tale of my 1996 E36 M3 Evo

enthused

Known Member
Jan 15, 2014
Wow. You really go all out. All the mod you did will be a really nice setup for track. It is going to handle well on the track. Bilstein PSS9 coilovers is one of the most popular one. I have Tein coilovers and they are slammed. Very predictable, a little rough if daily. Do you have exhaust yet? I have UUC and the sound is addictive.

Good luck and keep us update.
I'd never heard of Tein coilovers for the E36. I thought they were JDM only :D Time for more googling! The exhaust is another story - since we're on the topic why not?
===
One thing about the test drive that struck me from the beginning, and with every subsequent drive was the exhaust note. The S52 has this really nice metallic buzz zwi-aAAAAAAAAAAANG sound to it, particularly as it climbs higher through the revs.

As it came the car was fitted with a Hamann rear box (made of mild steel, but with stainless steel tail pipes) and a custom fabricated twin stainless exhaust with two resonators side by side at the position of the original cats. It sounded great!

One day I was itching to see what power the car was putting out so I put it on the dyno. I'm not sure what happened - but the exhaust seemed to rattle a little more after that and upon investigation I found that the mild steel of the muffler had corroded away leaving a fabulous hole in the exhaust.

For a quick solution a nearby welder was tasked to fix it up - RM250 later it came back with two jasma stainless steel back boxes welded side by side with my Hamann tips welded onto the end of it rather neatly... It still sounds fantastic!

Budget fix FTMFW. I'll go back and do it up properly when I find a proper muffler setup, but for now, in the spirit of keeping the car on the road, sounding good, and looking right it will do!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I'm anal about these things. That's a lot of varnish on the insides, ever considered doing a full on engine flush?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
I'd never heard of Tein coilovers for the E36. I thought they were JDM only :D Time for more googling! The exhaust is another story - since we're on the topic why not?
===
One thing about the test drive that struck me from the beginning, and with every subsequent drive was the exhaust note. The S52 has this really nice metallic buzz zwi-aAAAAAAAAAAANG sound to it, particularly as it climbs higher through the revs.

As it came the car was fitted with a Hamann rear box (made of mild steel, but with stainless steel tail pipes) and a custom fabricated twin stainless exhaust with two resonators side by side at the position of the original cats. It sounded great!

One day I was itching to see what power the car was putting out so I put it on the dyno. I'm not sure what happened - but the exhaust seemed to rattle a little more after that and upon investigation I found that the mild steel of the muffler had corroded away leaving a fabulous hole in the exhaust.

For a quick solution a nearby welder was tasked to fix it up - RM250 later it came back with two jasma stainless steel back boxes welded side by side with my Hamann tips welded onto the end of it rather neatly... It still sounds fantastic!

Budget fix FTMFW. I'll go back and do it up properly when I find a proper muffler setup, but for now, in the spirit of keeping the car on the road, sounding good, and looking right it will do!
I remembered 1 BMWCM Facebook page was selling tein coilovers for e36. somewhere this week

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
The Tein & UUC came with the 2nd M3 I bought. I prefer Bilstein better, but those Tein held up pretty good. Better than the old and tired ones. UUC has the twin canister design also. One things about BMW engine is the power band is all across the RPM. So how is it coming along. What's next?

p/s: I thought your car is red? Did you painted it blue?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Just be careful with the Contis. The side wall are prone to bulging, so do give it a regular check if using. If you have changed to RS-3, my friend's Subaru kaki are using for their track day and loving them....

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
subscribe...keep up the work bro...nice and informative thread...

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Good stuff LG, yours is probably the best E36 M3 I've tasted. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
TLG is the initials of the threadstarter (his real name).

:biggrin:

Keep sharing btw, you got lots of interesting input in this project
Thanks for clearing that up. Let's continue TLG, what's next ? Turbochaging or supercharging :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I'm anal about these things. That's a lot of varnish on the insides, ever considered doing a full on engine flush?

TLG : I noticed you 'thanked' my post - you probably know this or have your regular choice of brands, but if you're like me and looking for best bang for buck, the CRC engine flush is pretty good and oil seal friendly.

Leonl : if I'm not mistaken, TLG is a purist. I doubt he'll do anything out of the ordinary like FI for the stock engine

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

For a car with its girth and horsepower, Isaac Newton himself would testify that the 2012 Nissan GT-R shouldn’t be able to do the century sprint in three seconds flat but the supercar slayer does just that and just to drive the point home, gets it captured on video.

Weighing in at just over 1,700kg and packing a 530hp with 607Nm of torque punch, it would be insane to dismiss it as nothing spectacular but...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience