Project Holly - a live tale of my 1996 E36 M3 Evo

enthused

Known Member
Jan 15, 2014
Hi all,

Been thinking of doing build thread for my e36 and decided that this would be a good place to post. Primarily, it is a Malaysian website, and this is a car in Malaysia after all! That Tom seems a decent fellow is further icing on the cake.

I have been a fan of european cars for some years now. As a new project, I had in my mind to buy a car which was <RM100k, which would hopefully preserve its value, whilst also being reasonable to restore and tastefully enhance. My previous cars had been relatively painful to the wallet, european cars living up in rather spectacular form to their reputation of relatively high maintenance effort and poor resale value.

I also wanted a car which would stand out by being relatively uncommon, which would feel engaging to drive - therefore it would need to, in my mind, be rear wheel drive and have a manual transmission. While not having had the opportunity to own a BMW until recently, I had been attracted to the brand because of the active enthusiast and aftermarket support, as well as the relative ease of availability of factory parts in Malaysia.

Under consideration at the time were a Volvo 240/740/940 wagon and a Mercedes W124 230TE wagon. They ultimately fell through because too many people told me I was crazy (which through the years I have gotten used to.) but primarily because I couldn't, despite to the best of my efforts of trawling mudah.my and the like, find one which I felt would be a suitable base.

I first saw this car at a TT session, during and after which ///M friends were made and I came to learn that the car was for sale. Some time later and, as the modern world would have it, WhatsApp messaging and Facebook stalking later, I found myself test driving the car, liking it and putting an offer in.

I did not manage to get a workshop to do a professional pre-purchase inspection - my gut was entrusted to check to make sure the car was straight and a good basis for my to-be project. I planned to view the car in the morning, so that I could see how the car started from cold. I was a little disappointed to find the engine warm to touch when I got there, having been driven earlier that day. To the credit of the previous owner I found the car in a well maintained honest form. Being a 1996 it had pre-facelift kidney grills. I made sure that the wiring was in good shape - in this respect there was no cause for concern. There were, for its age, only a few additions, those I spotted being for the angel eyes, the fitment of the aftermarket radio, amplifier and subwoofer, and finally for the alarm. In my mind these could be easily reverted to stock.

Looking at the engine bay I could see that the cam cover seals were seeping a little around the front of the engine, and that the power steering hoses were a little wet, but nothing alarming otherwise. The oil aws well topped up, and visually appeared have been changed recently as it was a clearish healthy brown. I unscrewed the filler cap and found no evidence of any sludging or unnecessarily long service intervals. The radiator reservoir held nice clean fluid and wasn't running low either.

The clutch fans didnt seem tight, belts weren't cracked, it all looked in good! The first of the things to annoy had been uncovered though, and this was the fact that the red Hellrot paintjob had been done rather poorly. There was overspray everywhere due to poor masking, and elsewhere there were many portions that had not even been painted.

Looking inside the cabin for me was the most pleasing part of the inspection. It was clean, worn in the right places, the tint was well applied indicating that the owner had not skimped. The radio was a nice Alpine, having ipod integration even. Turning the key on (without starting the car) I found that all the lights worked as expected, and that there were no dead pixels anywhere either on the dash cluster, the air conditioning control unit or on the on-board computer.

Under the car I found no indication of any overly enthusiastic workshop jack damage, or off road excursions. I didn't see the surface rust frequently found on reconditioned cars, and saw a custom made decatted stainless steel exhaust, welded to a Hamann back box. The gearbox was clean and dry, as was the differential. To me this meant that the gearbox and diff breathers were dry too, which is a good indication that the car has the correct level of fluid, and that it also hasnt been driven at high revs for long periods.

I started the car and found that the idler pulleys were noisier that ideal, but otherwise everything worked well fans ran, and steering effort was appropriate. Air conditioning was set to 16 degrees, which to me was a potential alarm bell, but remained cool when I changed the temperature up to 24degrees, so it seemed that the compressor was at least healthy.

Onto the test drive then, this was something risky to me. First, was that I was left to view and test the car alone. Whilst on the surface an unaccompanied test drive was fantastic, there was also incredible exposure should something happen during the test drive!

In being entrusted with the car I was careful to treat the car gently while it was warming up. My first cause of concern was that the clutch take up point was very low. Something was definitely wrong here. In combination with the gearbox fluid being cold, the shift into first was expectedly trademark notchy. As the car warmed up sitting in the traffic, combined with me familiarising myself with the area to find some free-er roads to stretch the legs of the car, I was excited and knew, at the very least, that even if I didn't buy this particular car, the e36 seemed the right platform to give me some motoring smiles.

Soon enough I found some clear roads and confirmed my sentiments further. Running through the gears I found that ignoring the clutch take up point, the shifts were buttery smooth, particularly at higher revs, and and oh my - the car made some sweet sweet sounds. Intake noise was louder than I expected - the bwohhrrrrrr of the individual throttle bodies was quite clearly audible, and the exhaust had a lovely metallic buzzy twang to it without being intolerably loud. The sunroof worked noiselessly, which for me was fantastic news as I loved car rides with the sunroof open as I was growing up, and have found now my daughter appears to love as much as I did!

The test drive took some 40 minutes or so, combined with inspecting the car earlier on meant that I had somehow spent close to two hours checking the car out!

Given how well it all went, I knew then and there that I needed to go home and speak to my wife and let her know that I had found a good project car to start with. She immediately responded with "another old car?" but I have now developed the skills to see in the corner of her eye whether she will let me get away with it or not...

Fast forward through a few weeks of negotiation, the requisite Puspakom inspection and JPJ transfer and payment and I finally got the car in my hands. A good friend followed me to collect the car, which happened to be late on a weekday afternoon along Jalan Tun Razak, with the rain heaving down on us. He elected to drive the e36 on her maiden journey home, whilst I admired it from every mirror possible.

And so begins the tale of Project Holly!

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
A legit E36 M3? Awesome base for a project. I'm particularly drawn to this era of M cars, especially the E30. What made you decide on the E36 if I may ask? And how hard was it to find?

Best of luck!

enthused

Known Member
Jan 15, 2014
Can I ask how did the inspection go with the tint? Did you have to take out the tint?
The tint was removed by the previous owner/runner prior to the Puspakom inspection. Read on for the drama this caused me!

A legit E36 M3? Awesome base for a project. I'm particularly drawn to this era of M cars, especially the E30. What made you decide on the E36 if I may ask? And how hard was it to find?

Best of luck!
Yes legit of course :) The full monty EVO with the 3.2l engine and the six speed manual gearbox!
I had actually spent just under 3 years or so looking for a project car - for BMWs everything from E30 coupes through to E46 M3s. I looked at Porsche's (way over budget, and many had seen crash damage), the aforementioned wagons etc. They were either in rough condition, or too far modified for my liking even if they were in good nick. Too far modified meant that it would be difficult to maintain, but also meant less avenue for me to make it a project of my own if the work had already been done.

What pushed me away from the E30 was that everything I saw was really quite rusty, and having been through one of those before I knew that it wasn't something I enjoyed taking on. To take on rust repairs the car has to be totally stripped, which is difficult to do at home, and requires commitment to push through. If you do it half-baked, you always end up thinking about it. If you go all the way, it takes alot of time, and the project is reduced to all but worthless as a half stripped shell through the process.
===
So Holly was home, and finally after the kids were off to bed I got a chance to take a good look at the car. As I am getting older now, out came the pen and paper and I made a list of things which I felt weren't quite right - so that over time I could peck through fixing them slowly.

I started with the interior of the car. First was that the tint was hastily removed by the guys used by the previous owner, and was in fact in a metallic plastic big ball on the rear seats. The windows were all gummy with left over glue. I also noticed that the glove compartment, like many e36s, was sagging. In a bid to help the clutch low take up point, I made my first "mod", to cut away the floor mats (aftermarket ones) which extended under the pedals! The door cards, whilst having the surface in great condition were poorly attached to the doors themselves.

Given that this was a car more than 15 years old I was thrilled that these were the only few niggling things...

I moved outside and found that the rubber trim pieces surrounding the rear quarter glass was perishing. I also confirmed the body had not gotten any new bumps and scrapes since the inspection. It was the same - there was a small dent in the rear of the boot, presumably from where something was rested on the bodywork before lowering it into the boot, another behind the rear left wheel, above the bumper, and one on the bonnet. At this point I quietly hoped that the dent doctor would be able to gently persuade them to go away whilst I saved up my pennies for the rest of the car.

Under the boot the battery was the same one which I saw during the inspection, and it was still floating around without a bracketbelow the battery cover.

I looked under the bonnet and was surprised to see that the wet cam cover seals had been fixed!

I also saw that the tyres were pretty well worn in the inside edge of the front tyres, pretty normal for a car running more negative camber and had not had the tyres rotated.

So at this stage the list looked like this:
sticky windows
glove compartment
door card clips
squeaky throttle pedal
low clutch
dent rear lhs
dent rear body boot line
dent bonnet
rear quarter glass rubber seals
battery securing bracket
noisy idlers
paint job

Seems doable!

The next day I decided I would take on the sticky windows. I drove to my nearby tinting shop, who after congratulating me on my new project asked me (rather cleverly I thought) whether I was considering changing the plates. I said yes, and so he said it would be no point cleaning off the goo, and to get that done first so that they could tackle cleaning the windows and putting on fresh tint in one move. One of the thigns which really annoyed me about the sticky windows was that the car has frameless windows. To facilitate a good seal, the car automatically winds the windows down a centimeter or so each time you pop open the door, and up again when you close the door. With the sticky windows the glue was getting stuck each time and squeaking away! As a quick fix the tinting shop removed the window rubber seals quickly...

I then decided that this wasn't the type of solution I wanted. I quickly decided that I would take on the removal of the sticky glue by myself. "How hard could it be?" is a dangerous thought to a DIY enthusiast! So I headed to the stationery store near the house, got myself a 10 pack of blades. I then went to pick up a bottle of window cleaner spray. The kids were having an afternoon nap and I thought this would be the ideal time to quickly get that gummy mess away. I sprayed away with the window cleaner to soak the glue, and then scraped away the glue slowly using long strokes with the explosed edge of the blade against the glass. I quickly realised that this would be more difficult than I had initially estimated. Why? The window cleaner whilst having the effect of reducing the stickiness of the glue to the glass also made it extremely stretchy. This meant that if the blade edge was not flat against the glass I wasn't removing the glue but instead smearing it across the glass! I also learnt that the trick was not so much long strokes, but rather short firm strokes to clear small overlapping sections at a time, with lots and lots of window cleaner as lubricant for the blade edge. 45 minutes later I completed the passenger window. I looked at my watch in shock, looked at the prospect of another 4 hours cleaning the rest of the windows and felt rather dejected that this simple task was going to take SO LONG!

A glass of cold water later I hit the front windscreen. This was really difficult and tiring. Despite the towels I had draped all over the dashboard the reverse rake of the windscreen meant that alot of the windscreen glue chunks could potentially land elsewhere in the car and also that the window cleaner dripped off instead of lubricated the screen. I persisted, and the front windscreen took another good hour. I then did the drivers window quickly (and poorly) and called it a day. I could see forwards and sideways. The racer in me said if you have to look backwards you're going too slowly, plus my hands were all wrinkled and matted down with window cleaner and molten glue - time to call it a day...

Last edited:

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Very nice ride you have. I just sold mine black 1995 M3 a month ago and really miss it :bawling: Maybe one day I will "rob" it back :wink:
Overall, easy to maintain. Not too expensive. Well round car for street, autox and track. A good suspension, brakes and tires that's it. I am sure you will enjoy and have fun with it. Good luck and keep us update on your pregress.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hmm..I think there's an easier way to remove glue. Have you tried solvents? Since it's glass there no worry about it getting onto the paint.

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
Hi, i would love to know how much did you bought the car for?
And i know its hard to manage your time to do the project/work/family/children as iam also doing a project on my daily driven car.
Thank god my wife living in KL and i live in Kuantan. So i can tell her iam sleeping when actually iam mending my car.hahah.

lazariuk

Dec 26, 2006
Nice car you bought bro...
wishing you all the best in your adventure.
Keep posted, you might be encouraging someone else to start the journey... :wavey:

enthused

Known Member
Jan 15, 2014
Very nice ride you have. I just sold mine black 1995 M3 a month ago and really miss it :bawling: Maybe one day I will "rob" it back :wink:
Overall, easy to maintain. Not too expensive. Well round car for street, autox and track. A good suspension, brakes and tires that's it. I am sure you will enjoy and have fun with it. Good luck and keep us update on your pregress.
That's really encouraging! I'm keen on it being more motoring pleasure than ownership agony :) So far its been really quite a bit of fun. I have dailied it to and from work for fun and it has done what it was supposed to do... :)

Hmm..I think there's an easier way to remove glue. Have you tried solvents? Since it's glass there no worry about it getting onto the paint.
One of the things about this car is that the interior was in pretty good nick so I wasn't keen on putting that at risk by going too fancy with the chemicals. The glass cleaner worked, it was just agonisingly taking more time than I anticipated!

Hi, i would love to know how much did you bought the car for?
And i know its hard to manage your time to do the project/work/family/children as iam also doing a project on my daily driven car.
Thank god my wife living in KL and i live in Kuantan. So i can tell her iam sleeping when actually iam mending my car.hahah.
Managing time with projects is always fun. As a routine I think I plan to visit ZTH from the office just before heading home to reply to everyone, and post a new episode of the Holly adventure. Weekends are mostly family time and I try to avoid using the computer excessively so I do apologise for the late replies all!

Nice car you bought bro...
wishing you all the best in your adventure.
Keep posted, you might be encouraging someone else to start the journey... :wavey:
Thanks for that! Fiddling with cars is a fantastic hobby and I'm more than happy to have more guys on the same journey with me. :biggrin:
Killer car, E36 M3 is one of my favorites, a classic legend!:adore:
Keeping the classics on the streets should be incumbent upon us... My next prediction for a classic is the e46 m3, especially in manual. Keeping my eyes peeled... :D
===
The same buddy of mine who helped me to drive Holly back home was also simultaneously on the restoration of an e36 4 door 325i. He is quite concerned with the aesthetic element of restorations and one of the things on the top of his things to fix with his car was to respray the then silver car into the classic BMW Alpine. He was getting his done in a shop in Kajang and I decided to give it a visit. As things go we decided to sit down at a mamak stall to have a chit chat, and I decided that the removal of the glue on the rear three windows was something the nearby accessory shop could tackle whilst we sat down to have tea!:idea: RM20 and one hour later it was mostly done. There were still a few yellow blobs of glue as the job was not perfect, but it certainly seemed like good value to me.

Visiting his paint shop and seeing his car mid way through the preparation process I gave my 2 cents. One of those things about paint is that it is all in the preparation and the effort and mindset in doing a good job of it. Seeing the car in action there I knew that there was some things they could be doing better - the car was not nearly well stripped enough, and the putty work left some low and high spots which would be easily seen upon completion once the clear coat was on. I let my buddy know about this and decided I would reserve my judgement before committing Holly to a spray job...

Enough of a digression - and back to Holly! Two of the best things about the area in which I stay is that some of it is under construction and there are couple of roundabouts. This means that coming home after work during the rainy season is quite an opportunity to learn about the driving dynamics of the car without putting much more than my pride at risk.

As Holly came, I found that the she was quite neutral, bordering on washing out and understeering with a constant turning angle. If a flick was done, or a clutch pop then of course the rear could be hung out (and kept hanging out!) for a surprising length of time... Of course driving like this soon means you new tyres were in order. I decided some second handies off mudah.my were the most economical way to keep her going, and so the Toyo R1Rs were swapped for 2010 Toyo T1Rs. As it turns out the T1Rs were no match for the R1R... I know everyone is going to say "what did you expect", but in truth the difference was really quite substantial... The T1Rs then soon also came to be worn off rather quickly - which prompted me to pop Holly in for an alignment.

This turned out to be very interesting - to me anyway. The front had a pretty impressive -2 degrees or so of negative camber without any camber plates or fancy offset bolts. As it turns out this is something of a trick the racers do on this car - to swap the left and right top mounts to make this possible, at the expense of some caster run, which makes the steering return to center effect stronger than ideal. For enthusiastic driving however, this was perfect!
Whilst on the hoist for alignment I also picked up a second hand set of 95% new Continental CSC3s, with the catch that one side had been patched near the sidewall, which I guess scared the previous owner into buying new tyres. Taking a look at it I thought they were okay for me to experiment with to learn if the tyres were any good. Short answer is the CSC3 is pretty average for ultimate grip compared to the R1R :D

Besides the alignment there was also that dent on the hood, so a visit to the Dent guys behind Tesco in Puchong was made...

I've been using these guys for quite a few years now and they were quite supportive of my new project and keen to get to work on it. After some gentle prodding with their prongs however their prognosis was that they were not going to get a good result today. I felt a blend of being upset as well as happy that there was no charge...

Off to bed now - work beckons in the morning. More stories tomorrow evening. Please keep the comments coming! :sleep:

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
I guess you have found the trick swapping the front strut mount left to right to get the 2 degree of camber.
Another trick we use for our track car is to run "square" set up. Running all four same size width wheels & tires. Usually all 4 rears setup.
That will give the M3 very nuetral to oversteer setup vs stock (understeer). Also, see if you can track down some lightweight M3 wheels, that helps. **On E36 and E46, keep an eye on rear subframe mount to the body. They are know to torn off the body of the car. Especially lowered car. There is a recall on E46, not sure about E36. Also, swapping out the clutch fan for an electric fan helps to free up the engine. Change out the water pump with plastic impeller to metal one will save you some big bucks later.

Good luck and have fun.

enthused

Known Member
Jan 15, 2014
I guess you have found the trick swapping the front strut mount left to right to get the 2 degree of camber.
Another trick we use for our track car is to run "square" set up. Running all four same size width wheels & tires. Usually all 4 rears setup.
That will give the M3 very nuetral to oversteer setup vs stock (understeer). Also, see if you can track down some lightweight M3 wheels, that helps. **On E36 and E46, keep an eye on rear subframe mount to the body. They are know to torn off the body of the car. Especially lowered car. There is a recall on E46, not sure about E36. Also, swapping out the clutch fan for an electric fan helps to free up the engine. Change out the water pump with plastic impeller to metal one will save you some big bucks later.

Good luck and have fun.
Quickly reply this whilst waiting for a lunch appointment. Yes I have acquired some "square" rims, along with some stickier tyres to try.... They are not the lightest but are a reasonable weight, as well as being period correct - which is important in modding this car... :)

They are slightly narrower than the stock 8.5JJ sunflowers on the rear of the car but they will fit the desired tyre width anyway, plus they look so "right" to me for this car that I just had to pick them up.
For the record they are 17X8J ET40 5H120.

Also, I (amazingly, to me anyway) found some cheap tyres over Instagram. As it turns out the Saturday Night Fever gang use the 245/40/17 tyre size so I picked up some off some racers who had a bad round of luck with an engine failure hence didn't get a chance to use them after purchase...

Time will tell if 245 is too much tyre for an 8J.

Also have read on the forums about the body mods needed and have started to think of how and when best to fix them.

More updates tonight when I have more time...

Thanks for reading.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Quickly reply this whilst waiting for a lunch appointment. Yes I have acquired some "square" rims, along with some stickier tyres to try.... They are not the lightest but are a reasonable weight, as well as being period correct - which is important in modding this car... :)

They are slightly narrower than the stock 8.5JJ sunflowers on the rear of the car but they will fit the desired tyre width anyway, plus they look so "right" to me for this car that I just had to pick them up.
For the record they are 17X8J ET40 5H120.

Also, I (amazingly, to me anyway) found some cheap tyres over Instagram. As it turns out the Saturday Night Fever gang use the 245/40/17 tyre size so I picked up some off some racers who had a bad round of luck with an engine failure hence didn't get a chance to use them after purchase...

Time will tell if 245 is too much tyre for an 8J.

Also have read on the forums about the body mods needed and have started to think of how and when best to fix them.

More updates tonight when I have more time...

Thanks for reading.
245-40-17 on an eight inch wheels are perfect. Those wheels look great. RS-3 is sticky but known to overheat when hot. I ran Azenis, Hoosier, Toyo and they are all good autox & track tires. You scored some pretty nice stuff (Wheels and tires).

enthused

Known Member
Jan 15, 2014
245-40-17 on an eight inch wheels are perfect. Those wheels look great. RS-3 is sticky but known to overheat when hot. I ran Azenis, Hoosier, Toyo and they are all good autox & track tires. You scored some pretty nice stuff (Wheels and tires).
I've been told that the R-S3 will work well by many people and can't wait to have a drive on them. Did you have any suspension mods on yours? I'm considering Bilstein PSS9 coil overs.
===
A week or so after getting the CSC3 tyres put on the clutch started slipping. I was driving to the office on the way to pick up some colleagues before heading to Shah Alam for a meeting. The clutch ave up the ghost on me on a the slight incline uphill going up Jalan Semantan (in front of the Peninsula Hotel). I called the Allianz (quick referral for IMO best counter service ever from Rahayu in the KL Sentral office) towing hotline and they soon came to the rescue.

This was pretty stressful not so much because the car was broken, but more so because of work, as it was drawing closer and closer to the time for our pitch and here I was sitting on a Tow Truck to Tedco Sport in Glenmarie. Fortunately traffic was okay, and I had arranged my colleagues to pick me up from the Tedco not a few minutes after the car was dropped off...

The diagnosis was as expected - the friction plate was worn on the side facing the flywheel - to the point that the rivets had scratched the flywheel, needing it to be machined flat again. This was proving to be a massive adventure! The question was whethher to source for a lightweight flywheel and clutch set from the US, or to source locally for what was needed. Sourcing locally was troublesome, because everything is sold as a set, (complete cover and friction material), whereas what was needed was really just the flywheel and friction material, with the cover re-usable...

Decisions decisions. Fortunately a friend with an e46 M3 has changed his clutch recently chasing some gearbox problems, and as it turned out his old clutch was not worn. I grabbed the opportunity and picked up his lightly used cover, friction plate and bearing. Coincidentally on a trip to Singapore I located an e46 flywheel, as there were none in stock in KL.

As all this sourcing was happening, I also took the opportunity to drop the engine, fix up the parts which needed replacement - belts, tensioners and cam cover seals were done. I also took the opportunity to change the rear main oil seal, and to fit the e46 final drive which I had purchased some time back.

Engine looking nice and healthy under the cam covers:

Rear main oil seal:

e46 dual mass flywheel:

e46 clutch disc:

final drive comparison:

pre-lubing the oil seals and needle bearings with the expensive M only LSD fluid with FM booster:

new diff oil seals:

I also took the opportunity to get the crazy mess of an engine bay sorted out with a full engine bay respray:
Underside of the bonnet:

Engine bay all stripped, masked up and painted:

A final trick was the replacement of the steering rubber coupling with an aluminium unit for better steering feel:

Please keep the replies coming - it encourages me!

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Wow. You really go all out. All the mod you did will be a really nice setup for track. It is going to handle well on the track. Bilstein PSS9 coilovers is one of the most popular one. I have Tein coilovers and they are slammed. Very predictable, a little rough if daily. Do you have exhaust yet? I have UUC and the sound is addictive.

Good luck and keep us update.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i read some where about kancil 850 turbo.
i was wondering if any you guys ever did 660 stock carb perodua enjin with turbo.
i mean without converting the engine to L2 turbo or wathever.:shocked:

is it can really done? and how? need you guys opinion about this....:_:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience