Photos Of My 93' Corolla

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
My latest purchase - A brand new set of BC Gold coilovers. Ended up getting them for a really good price so grabbed them today. They have 30-way damper adjustability so my spine shouldn't shatter to pieces on long trips :biggrin:

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand

I installed the BC coilovers today. I've set the damper knobs to 5 clicks from fully soft on the fronts and 10 clicks from fully soft on the rear. The ride height has been adjusted to 300mm from the center of each wheel to the fender lip, which has the subframe sitting at bang on 100mm off the ground, the minimum height allowed by law here in New Zealand.

I must say that I'm VERY impressed with the ride quality of the BC's. When I first went for a test drive I honestly couldn't tell that I had installed coilovers as the ride comfort was virtually the same as my old spring/strut combo, however when going around corners you could definitely notice the difference in the handling performance as it stuck to the road as if it were on rails. I've booked my car in for a full wheel alignment tomorrow so once the toe is reset and everything else aligned I'm sure it'll handle even better. All in all I'm extremely happy with these coilovers so far and I look forward to putting them through their paces over the coming years.

Here's some pics I took after installing them, and a photo of a sticker that I bought on the way home to finish the day nicely :)

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
Bro Kiwi-Corolla, another nice & sweet item purchased! Same as mine coilover brand= BC !Yeah, really value for money! Mine pillow ball special order with caster adjuster:) U wont regret by using this Fully adjustable coilover。

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
Bro Kiwi-Corolla, another nice & sweet item purchased! Same as mine coilover brand= BC !Yeah, really value for money! Mine pillow ball special order with caster adjuster:) U wont regret by using this Fully adjustable coilover。
Thanks bro! Good to know that we're using the same brand of coilovers! :biggrin:. What are your front/rear damper settings? Are you using the standard 6kg/4kg spring rates?

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
Here's my latest mod - FGK 4-2-1 stainless steel extractors. Designed and built in Japan by Fujitsubo Giken Kogyo and are one of the best sets of extractors you can buy for the 4A-GE. Had them fitted today and I'm already noticing a power increase. It replaces the very restrictive factory squished pipe that goes over the front subframe, so there's no more flat spot in the rev range when accelerating at full throttle. The needle seems to sky rocket even faster to redline and doesn't feel so sluggish down low.

Also fitted an OEM 24mm front swaybar, although haven't had a chance to test out the new handling characteristics yet as I had the old factory extractors etc in the trunk on the way home so I didn't want everything sliding around and causing damage.

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
Thanks bro! Good to know that we're using the same brand of coilovers! :biggrin:. What are your front/rear damper settings? Are you using the standard 6kg/4kg spring rates?
Haha, i forgot already... If not wrong front i'm using 8kg instead of 6kg. Click from soft(front) 13, (rear) 10.

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
Oh nice, good to know. My rears are set on 10 clicks from fully soft and the fronts are 5 clicks from fully soft. Might bump the rears up to 15 though and the fronts up to 10. Still running the 6kg/4kg spring rates.

I decided to put my digital calipers up against the standard mid-pipe to see how bad the restriction really is where it goes over the subframe. At the pipe's widest point before the restriction starts it measures in at approximately 53.57mm (2.10"), and at the pipe's most restrictive point (where it goes over the subframe) it shrinks right down to approximately 28.10mm (1.10"). After the restriction the pipe goes back to it's original size of 53.57mm (2.10") but the disruption to the flow of the exhaust gasses would be huge.

The FGK header set retains it's original piping size the whole way along, so it makes me wonder why Toyota decided to hammer the piping down so far when there's so much room between the underbody of the car and the subframe. Admittedly, there are usually heatshields covering the mid-pipe, but even so there's still plenty of room under there.

It's hard to tell how bad the restriction/pancake effect really is from the photos but in real-life it looks terrible. It's easy to see why I noticed a gain in power almost instantly after installing the FGK set:

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
My latest mod that I decided to install today - 266mm rear disc brakes! I converted from the old drum brakes to these nice shiny discs from a JDM AE101 Levin GT Apex (same discs/calipers used on the JDM AE101 Corolla GT sedan, FX-GT hatchback and BZ Touring wagon models). The discs and pads are brand new so I had a bit of fun earlier bedding them in earlier :). Took me half the day to install them as I had to run the new handbrake cables and painstakingly remove the long bolt that goes through the lateral arms but I got there in the end. Here's some photos of the finished job:

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
I received/installed this today - An Ultra Racing rear strut brace. Should help stiffen things up a little more :)

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
Here are my two latest purchases - An Ultra Racing 29mm solid front swaybar and a Whiteline 18mm solid rear swaybar, both with polyurethane bushings. Should make a very noticeable difference to the handling compared to the original 24mm front and 14mm rear swaybars :)

Apr 28, 2013
Philippines
greetings from the Philippines!

Bro, i have to say that your AE101 is awesome. Your patience and ingenious plan to come up w/ those mods are simply yet very astounding. Your hard work and perserverance paid off. Keep up the good stuffs comin'!

PS. this is my first post. \m/

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
greetings from the Philippines!

Bro, i have to say that your AE101 is awesome. Your patience and ingenious plan to come up w/ those mods are simply yet very astounding. Your hard work and perserverance paid off. Keep up the good stuffs comin'!

PS. this is my first post. \m/
Thanks buddy! :biggrin:. I really appreciate the kind words. Very pleased that you like what I've done so far, and that your very first post was in my thread :biggrin:

Bro where're you located at? Your car must be rock solid by now. What a beast
Hey bro, I'm located in New Zealand. Yeah she's pretty solid now. No longer all show and no go, hehe.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

So we enter week 9, I've been busy like hell for the past week, as income tax submissions come to an end, work just piles up (Not related to Zerotohundred, but I like to rant!). So yes, our project is moving along, but pretty slowly, blame it on tight schedule and some wonderful things coming right up. Yes, yours truly is gonna show you the world of Europe, I will...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience