Need to choose between waja campro or chevrolet optra

powermac

Aug 13, 2006
Hi Members,

I need you guys opinion to choose a car.
Planning to get either these two cars

1. Waja Campro 2007 model
price : RM 62,000
CC : 1.6
Full accessories with leather seat, ABS, Airbag

2. Chevrolet 2005 (new car but has beed parked in store for some time)
price : RM 64,000 (price dropped from RM 98,000 to clear stock)
CC : 1.8 (1.6 model is 5,000 cheaper)
Leather seat, traction control, ABS, Airbag

Guys, i'm really confused choosing between these two cars.
Waja is a proton anyway, but it's a fresh new model with 5years warranty.
Optra is a nice imported car, but i need to know the maintance cost & so on.
Just afraid to get the chevrolet optra coz although it's new,it has been in store for 2 years.

Few things to compare is the maintainance cost for service & parts cost & Oil consumption.

Any chevrolet users here ? Anything so special on the optra intead of waja since it's a imported car.

Any recommendation guys...need your inputs to make decision guys., since it's my first car.
Thanks alot guys....cheers..

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
proton will have more maintainence to do compare to chevy...
but chevy's maintainence price tag will be more expensive than proton...

test drive both car see if which gives u best feel.... after that only think about maintainence....

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
"chevy" optra aint it rebranded from daewoo?

get a toyota...or a nissan or a honda

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
2. Chevrolet 2005 (new car but has beed parked in store for some time)
price : RM 64,000 (price dropped from RM 98,000 to clear stock)
CC : 1.8 (1.6 model is 5,000 cheaper)
Leather seat, traction control, ABS, Airbag

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
as for sure, Optra doesn't need to changing the power-windows every years...

proton will have more maintainence to do compare to chevy...
but chevy's maintainence price tag will be more expensive than proton...

test drive both car see if which gives u best feel.... after that only think about maintainence....

PAUL_CJ

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
PUCHONG
if u planing 2 buy waja dun buy the campro 1, its underpower n fuel gluzzer.
my advice is dun get proton coz the resale value droping every week

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
both cars are dull, and for that reason expensive to buy. waja has better handling compare to the so-called american version of daewoo. the optra benefits from bigger engine power and bigger cabin.

why dont buy vios? it has same power to the waja campro, has airbag, leather, ABS, EBD and VSC.

somehow, my vote goes to optra but check what kind of warranty r u getting first. if cannot match waja, dont buy.

drMpower

May 1, 2006
everybody is either dont buy both, or buy the optra if its better than waja. its very predictable.

optra is a daewoo. that's for sure.

go for that optra. with waja, you'll hate urself.

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
yeah get the optra

resale value plus cost will kill u on the waja...plus u're getin a good deal for the optra

infernaL

2,000 RPM
May 22, 2005
N/A
both cars are dull, and for that reason expensive to buy. waja has better handling compare to the so-called american version of daewoo. the optra benefits from bigger engine power and bigger cabin.

why dont buy vios? it has same power to the waja campro, has airbag, leather, ABS, EBD and VSC.

somehow, my vote goes to optra but check what kind of warranty r u getting first. if cannot match waja, dont buy.
ting ting ting we have a winnar.

provided that its not selection given a company car - hence the 2 options, why not consider other used 01 or 02 i belive civics and sentra fit in the budget.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
"chevy" optra aint it rebranded from daewoo?
The full name of Daewoo is GM Daewoo.

GM, General Motor, the largest auto company in the world since 1931 (market forcast it give way to Toyota at 2007), hold majority share of GM Daewoo. Chevy, Daewoo are one of those company under GM. GM like to re-badge certain model and sell it under different badge in different country, for example, opel Zafira has been re-badge and sell under Chevrolet Nabira in Malaysia (same model was sold as Subaru Traviq at Japan)

List of brand under GM
hope that explain the relationship in between Daewoo, Chevy and GM

Last edited:

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
bear in mind that Daewoo's motor division started in early 1980s and only at late 90s it was sold to GM.

refer to info from wikipedia

<DL><DD>For specific Daewoo vehicle models, see Category:Daewoo vehicles </DD></DL>Daewoo Motors arrived in the UK in 1995. At the time, it was the only manufacturer not using traditional dealerships; it owned and operated its own retail network. It was once considered to be near the top 10 motor companies in terms of production.
Daewoo was forced to sell off its automotive arm, Daewoo Motors, to General Motors by the Kim administration. Since then, GM has been moving to rebadge Daewoo cars as the low-end models for many brands, including Chevrolet. GM was sued by Daewoo's former U.S. dealer network over this practice, since they no longer had new Daewoo cars to sell.
Daewoo commercial vehicles division was sold to Tata Motors of India.
<DL><DD>See also GM Daewoo and Daewoo Motor Sales </DD></DL>

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
optra is giving other manufacturers a run for their money in WTCC what?? even BMW having a hard time what??
heheh.... thats beside the point...

Before we argue about which car is better, 2005 stock optra 1.8 sold out already. Only 1.6 left....

My old man bought one of the 2005 stock 1.8 optras. Comes with 2 year warranty only. Free servicing (with parts) up to 40,000km. Got it for RM62 OTR. I'm borrowing/driving it to work as my car is at the doctors. And i've driven wajas before many times also. My quick answer is, the optra is better.

Optra Plus : Above average build quality (much better than Waja), spacious, comfortable, many thoughtful little extras (you'll know as you experience the cabin), handles well, lots of safety equipment, quite and solid, the standard ICE sounds great!!

Optra Minus : Engine is capable but a little rough, wish it was smoother, parts are a bit on the high side (But only after 40,000km ler...). Others are minor, negligible and can live with, like i wish the drs locked themselves when you drive off or press the brake, indicator and wiper control levers not so nicely positioned... that kinda stuff...

Wajas.... don't get me started laa...