Need to choose between waja campro or chevrolet optra

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
GM owns Viking?...never heard of Viking before, what is it?

PAUL_CJ

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
PUCHONG
My old man bought one of the 2005 stock 1.8 optras. Comes with 2 year warranty only. Free servicing (with parts) up to 40,000km. Got it for RM62 OTR. I'm borrowing/driving it to work as my car is at the doctors. And i've driven wajas before many times also. My quick answer is, the optra is better.
tats a good bargain

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
zan, yup, change many hand, name too.
they were too ambitious perhaps..he he he

according to minivan, optra 1.8 out of stock already. if optra 1.6 compare to waja 1.6, avoid both lah. unless the optra 1.6 is sold at 40-45K. than worth every penny...

PAUL_CJ

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
PUCHONG
i would say if u geting a waja, y not consider a 2nd hand.
year03 for 30+k, dirt cheap

DOHC

Mar 26, 2007
IMHO, I'd rather buy a 20 years "old" japaense than a new waja with 60k..

Anything verses protron.. the result is clear

Just an example. No offence to to pro-protons out there..

Last edited:

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Pros & Cons:

Waja:

1. Easier to maintain, spare parts plenty even for Campro model.
2. Forget about people saying no power (that only applies for the automatic model), but if u upgrade the stock standard exhaust manifold to those after market extractor and remove the CAT, the low end power will increase.
3. Better resale value.
4. Parts interchangeable with Mitsubishi Lancer MX or FTO (plenty of future upgrades).
5. Many Waja clubs to join, WPC, WRC... etc...

Optra:
1. Expensive maintain because it is a Korean car and most parts are fully imported. An oil filter costs RM 35, air filter another RM 50 and most Japanese parts won't fit it well without mods.
2. Lousy resale value - expect to drop more than 60% after 3 years of ownership. Ask any Kia/Hyundai owners out there.
3. Clubs? Are there any?
4. A 2005 model would probably be a lemon because after long exposure to our local climate, plastic parts will start to creak and crack (u won't see it until a year or so).
5. How reliable is the Korean engine? Quite actually but don't expect to bolt-on turbo or do crazy internal mods because unlike Japanese cars, parts are hard to come by. And even if u manage to track down a used chop parts, u can't use most of it because Korean cars are LHD!

BTW, Proton also recycle unsold models as new. Eg. A 2007 Gen2 could be a 2005 or 2006 batch left to bake under the hot sun outside Proton Edar without u knowing it. Why? My bro's Gen2 2007 model is falling apart, majority due to cheap plastic parts cracking here n there.

A side note: Don't buy used Japanese cars if u r not a motorhead or really don't know how to maintain an old car properly. U will end up spending more money than a new one. Seriously. I drive an 18 year old Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 and so far, I've spend more than a new Perodua Viva 1.0 Premium to maintain it as well as upgrade many worn out parts with performance ones. Yes, it will definitely eat many new cars for breakfast, lunch and dinner but u need plenty of patience and money.

Last edited:

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
isn't there any other choices besides the optra n waja?

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
shall i demand the final decision from the thread starter? Usually we will never know what's the final decision from thread starter. :biggrin: just a stupid thought.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
** OFF TOPIC **

BS, I heard someone is building a 300WHP Coupe... u ar? :)

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
Chevrolet or Proton, is that really that difficult a decision?

I wouldn't even consider it a choice.

*Proton Bashing Day!*

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
almost everyone has vote for the optra...shows how much we love our own cars, haha

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
i would say if u geting a waja, y not consider a 2nd hand.
year03 for 30+k, dirt cheap
yeah, only if you buy the 1.6X premium spec. it comes with twin airbags, ABS, EBD, traction control and automatic climate control. it also has leather seats and rear adjustable headrests which none of other 1.6 Wajas have.

pay about 30-33K and make sure it has good service history.

that Waja 1.6X is worth every penny for the all equipment, compare to 1.8X, 1.6 EV or 1.6 Campro.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
The Optra, hands down.

You are getting quite a LOT of car for that money. This is a Civic/Altis class car selling for Waja money. I can tell you this because my sister just bought a CBU Optra 5 for 61k. It is a bargain for what you get for your money. About maintenance and fuel consumption and other running costs, obviously you should be expecting it to be around Civic/Altis class as well. Besides, service is every 10k km so should lessen the blow a bit. Everything about the car is solid (much better than a Waja) and it comes fully equipped. And, did I mention that the Optra 5 is much much better looking than the Waja. No brainer really.

Before my sis got it, I had my doubts, mainly because of its Korean origins, but now that I've got a taste of the car I think its a serious bargain.

Although, bear in mind I'm talking about the Optra 5 (CBU). I'm not so sure about the sedan.

And speaking of depreciation, who the fuck cares anyway? The market is shit and resale value in general is shit. And Protons aren't holding value like they used to. Plus, they disintegrate as quickly as our government buildings.

Last edited:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
yeah, only if you buy the 1.6X premium spec. it comes with twin airbags, ABS, EBD, traction control and automatic climate control. it also has leather seats and rear adjustable headrests which none of other 1.6 Wajas have.

pay about 30-33K and make sure it has good service history.

that Waja 1.6X is worth every penny for the all equipment, compare to 1.8X, 1.6 EV or 1.6 Campro.
Zan, but 1.6X stop production before PROTON release 1.8 Drive by Wire Renault engine, it's quite old if I'm not mistaken.

My friend got a 1.6X for more than 70K, and few months later, his car submarine during last KL flood. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all sifu, my frens car L2 kancil car got power stering problem. The problem is everytime when he installed new battery, the power stering works fine. After few kilometer, the power stering went died. Have to reset the battery only bring back the power stering. Any idea, wat happens? Plz help. Thx.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience