1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
Hi there
i run a full active system that has 1 4ch amp bridged for Mid and tweeters
A 2 ch amp for sub
The downpoint is my Ice is Ayam Brand
I have a final budget of around 3k and i aim for SQ and hip hop type of songs
I am currently very dissatisfied with my system as age is catching up with all the items and the quality is dropping.
So i plan to upgrade the items one by one...and thus i need all the sifu's advice on which item to upgrade first.

My initial plan at this moment would be to upgrade either the Mid or the Sub
I have a Boschmann component in front and a Performa mid behind powered by a Pariah 4 channel amp.
My sub is pushed by 2ch amp.

I donno what happened to my sub...that there is simply no more concentration that everytime it is pushed...the bass was kinda like splattered all over the place.It used to be better before this even though it's not high end stuff.
And with regards to the mid...i had expalined in an earlier thread but it does not seem to get much response....

So...to all sifu out there...which item do you think that i should upgrade first?The mid or the sub?
as for the mid...my temporary solution is to try to hide the defieciency by using the tweeters.I tried so hard that i spent hours in the car.It is so difficult to try not to turn the tweeters too loud and at the same time it has to cover the shortage of the mid.
currently...my plan is someting like this...
Rm800-1000 for sub
Rm400-600 for mid
Rm1000-1300 for 2 amps

I plan to remain 3way full active even though i was adviced by an expert that this is now aredi outdated.He prefers passive.Well i can't argue with him cos he sapu alot of iasca thophy before.
So i jus hope that all sifus can give me furhter opinion especially on the brand that i should used and the price.
Any idea of a good system with my kind of budget?
Thanx for reading

Last edited:

hi1983

1,500 RPM
May 7, 2006
hi, are u the want who call me yesterday?? i am felix hi1983...

i think u need to spend more for the 2 amp, becos it is very important budget for good amp for that not really enaugh, and if single subwoofer u can down the budget abit, can get eton CRAG.. SQ sub

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
ehh not me la bro...
thanx for ur suggestion anyway
but i thought there was a belief that....
lousy amp + good speaker = good result
good amp lousy speaker = lousy result

am i wrong or correct ar?

craziechild

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
Sarawak
i think for your sub problem is because of the amp... the amp is power is dropping causing the sound produced not focused...

my opinion is get bith the amps change first... see whther the SQ drop is caused by the insufficient power from the amp or not... if you still feel it is not enough then a good component for your front should be considered... for the rear is according to what's you preference is... i prefer not to hav them as they kill my sound stage everytime... so to me they should be at the very end of the list for the upgrade...

from your budget... i would suggest tht you put more budget on your mid and amps... usually i find tht sub from RM500-RM800 is very considered as good stuff already... but dunno you la...

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Gti said:
ehh not me la bro...
thanx for ur suggestion anyway
but i thought there was a belief that....
lousy amp + good speaker = good result
good amp lousy speaker = lousy result

am i wrong or correct ar?
by all means, speaker gives gives the most difference in SQ or SPL and second will be the amp.

There are arguments that european amps sound better (better SQ) than American Amps. so you will be the judge.

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
Ok thanx for the opinion...
Do any of the sifu think that the JL sub worth the money?
I think it's aredi out of my budget rite...unless maybe second hand...
anyone has experience with this?

Btw...if i were to buy a new amp for my sub...what can i buy for a budget below rm700?
any good recommendation?

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
hi1983 said:
hi, are u the want who call me yesterday?? i am felix hi1983...

i think u need to spend more for the 2 amp, becos it is very important budget for good amp for that not really enaugh, and if single subwoofer u can down the budget abit, can get eton CRAG.. SQ sub
Any other good recommendation ar boss?
:_:
Brand is not important...as long as it's worth the money

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Gti said:
a) lousy amp + good speaker = good result
b) good amp lousy speaker = lousy result
Just based on my exp loorr..

a) Good result- U mean speaker process/filter/boost the signal ka?
b) Lousy result- U mean speaker process/filter/boost the signal ka?

Think about signal 1st, forget about HU, XO, amp & speaker brand or else.. additional the last stuff received the signal would not process it but produce the sound.. Think & learn slowly..

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
hie oldskool...
thank you for ur reply and i really wanna learn...which is why i post my question here
i am a noob in Ice...
and the thing hat u mentioned...signal,filter....i DON'T understand!!
and I AM SORRY!!!:embaressed_smile: :embaressed_smile:
care to elaborate further cos i really wan to learn!
Sorry aR!

craziechild

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
Sarawak
jl worth it or not?? i think you should audit it yourself see whther you like it or not... for me it is worth it because i like the sound they are able produced...

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
anybody knows the market price for a 12" JL?
i saw in the shop that day it was placed at rm1800...but donno whther that's the correct price or not
Rm800 can get me what nice sub ar?
used one oso i dun mind provided in good condition

bafukie

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
1800 for a sub? kenot be la... most prob 800 gua. but me not familiar with Jl pricing. u could ask those who are selling ICE stuff here

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Off course can.. but need help from others sifu also loorr.. like zenn, unker soong, calvinpk, Tohsan, appleyard, mnkh27 coz I only can said what I know & as we know ICE world is not limited..

Begining signal process took place at HU.. delivery to your processor if U own 1 like EQ, XO & etc either analog or digital after that pass the signal to amp & amp will amplified the signal than send the signal to speaker..

a) I dont think use lousy speaker will end up with lousy result.. I'm sure with proper tuning the result not to far or maybe same as entery level high end speaker can do or produce the sound.

b) I dont think use lousy amp will end up with good result even U use good speaker like RS Audio, Dynaudio, Morel, K2P or else.. what will happen when the clean signal reach the lousy amp. I'm sure the signal will distorted & end up with more worse result.

Last edited:

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
ohh....i think i beginning to understand aredi
it's like 4X100 m relay race...
each Item passing the baton...plays an important role
So if the Hu is a fast runner and give an extremely good signal...
it can oso be screwed up by the next relay who could be an overweight gem..
It can still be screwed even though the beginning runner(HU) is Justin Gatlin and the anchor(Speaker) is equivalent to Michael Johnson if the amp is someone like watson nyambek...
can ar my illustration? :_:

Then mai everything oso haf to be good lo? Or you say good tuning is the most important?
That guy actually tuned for my car that day...i actually thinks that the setting sux...i think he tune based on his experience on the iasca...so he depended a lot on my mid...and i juz said in the earlier posts that my mid sux.So now i relied on my tweeters a lot...something like 60% tweeters and 40% mid

Btw...aynone using JL sub here?
can share?
thanx :_:

Last edited:

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
bafukie said:
1800 for a sub? kenot be la... most prob 800 gua. but me not familiar with Jl pricing. u could ask those who are selling ICE stuff here
That price should be for JL12W6V2-D4, not yet W7, Focal Utopia, Phass Aliante , Brahma, IDmax, RS Precision, Helix C12, SEA Lotus, DLS UR/IR , PHD, Cervin Vega & else

RM800.. haa haa.. maybe Audio Quartz, Mohawk, LA Audio, Shuttle Lab, Explode,
Audiostream, Bazooka, MA, Boschman can get loorr

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just one word.... WOW ! Is Mitsubishi back on track to make us an amazing sport car a bit like in the past with the Twin Turbo ? The Concept-RA certainly looks like an artist’s interpretation of a new Eclipse, although the front and rear fascias also share the new Lancer Evolution design language. But this is no Eclipse - in fact it’s anything but a front-drive petrol car with more show than go. This is a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience