Need advice. Low RPM got knocking sound for VTEC.

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Hi guys,

I am facing some issue here whereby I heard knocking sound from low RPM until 6500RPM. Which means when VTEC engage in 5800RPM, it still have abit of knocking sound but when it reach 6500RPM, there is no more knocking sound. (This is when I suddenly press the pedal when my car idle at 5th gear 100km/h).

But when press the fuel pedal slowly by slowly, there is not knocking sound.

Current my engine is running on BLUE E-Manage.

1. Is it normal for this setting? As dynograph shows 13.04 for Air/Fuel at 4500rpm onwards.

2. Knocking sound is not enough fuel. Is it?

3. Scare that not enough fuel will spoil my engine coz the knocking sound is evry obvious & loud.

4. Is my Works FPR faulty? Actually how to check whetehr the FPR is in working condition? By installing A/F meter or Oil Pressure meter?

5. Do I need to dyno/tune my engine again?

Hope someone sifu can enlighten me here.

Last edited:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
knocking is allow-able in the low rpm; when i say low, its like >3000rpm, but since u are experiencing it in the higher revv too, i can conclude its because the engine was tuned on the dynojet. the pinging u r hearing comes from a more aggressive tuning ie more ignition and probably less fuel den std. its very common when seeing an engine leaning out . pinging up when coming down a dynojet to the road, because the dynojet isnt loaded. its like u tune it on a flat surface, and apply the tuning up hill, of course it will ping

i suggest u dont run it until the tuning issue is sorted out sir, get it up a dyno dynamics and ask a good tuner to tune it properly. i highly suggest joshua thiran of millennium motorsports asia for dat purpose.

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
knocking is allow-able in the low rpm; when i say low, its like >3000rpm, but since u are experiencing it in the higher revv too, i can conclude its because the engine was tuned on the dynojet. the pinging u r hearing comes from a more aggressive tuning ie more ignition and probably less fuel den std. its very common when seeing an engine leaning out . pinging up when coming down a dynojet to the road, because the dynojet isnt loaded. its like u tune it on a flat surface, and apply the tuning up hill, of course it will ping

i suggest u dont run it until the tuning issue is sorted out sir, get it up a dyno dynamics and ask a good tuner to tune it properly. i highly suggest joshua thiran of millennium motorsports asia for dat purpose.
Joshua? I see. How much he charge for dyno/tuning? Just tell him my knocking issue will do or just ask him to dyno/tune my engine will do?

Means dyno on a dynamics is better than dynojet. Right? I am not so concern on high HP. The most I concern is my engine realiability...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
its not about which is better sir, both are good, but the dyamics' tune are use-able on the road imo. u need to clarify with him for the prices, tqvm sir

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

i trust works FPRs, they are good, didnt ur unit came with the fuel pressure gauge? id get an exhaust temperature meter to get an idea of how lean/rich my engine is running, more accurate imo compared to a narrow band air fuel ratio

Last edited:

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
its not about which is better sir, both are good, but the dyamics' tune are use-able on the road imo. u need to clarify him for the prices, tqvm sir

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

i trust works FPRs, they are good, didnt ur unit came with the fuel pressure gauge? id get an exhaust temperature meter to get an idea of how lean/rich my engine is running, more accurate imo compared to a narrow band air fuel ratio
Thanks for the info & comment. By the way, can you PM me Millennium Motorsports Asia contact or Joshua contact?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
its 0123205454 sir, just send him a message if he doesnt answer ur call. he usually doesnt answer calls when he is tuning, god willing he will reply promptly afterwards

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
its 0123205454 sir, just send him a message if he doesnt answer ur call. he usually doesnt answer calls when he is tuning, god willing he will reply promptly afterwards
Thanks bro...:biggrin:

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Hi guys,

Some updates. I went back to the tuner & found out that the ignition timing is too high. Now no more knocking sound 3500rpm onwards....:biggrin:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
but now, the power isnt as much as when u first tuned it. a typical problem when tuning is done on the dynojet iam afraid, u rnt getting the real numbers..

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
but now, the power isnt as much as when u first tuned it. a typical problem when tuning is done on the dynojet iam afraid, u rnt getting the real numbers..
What to do. Just that I want my engine to be safe when I attack SIC...

Thanks for the advice xtremeleo. But when I ask the tuner, he said will not affect the Air/Fuel & HP as well. Not sure it's true or not...Lolz...:biggrin:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
it will not affect afr, but power depends a lot on ignition timing sir. my engine gained another 30hp when ignition was tuned fyi, its charged btw. maybe in your case, it wudnt make much different, but for a tuner saying it doesnt affect a thing shows he dont wanna be bothered imo. how does it feel when driving it now sir? how much ignition is taken aback?

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
it will not affect afr, but power depends a lot on ignition timing sir. my engine gained another 30hp when ignition was tuned fyi, its charged btw. maybe in your case, it wudnt make much different, but for a tuner saying it doesnt affect a thing shows he dont wanna be bothered imo. how does it feel when driving it now sir? how much ignition is taken aback?
Not sure how much ignition was taken back but when I test, power still the same. Not much different.

I call up Joshua & ask him on this. He say HP different will be only 1 or 2HP only. Not much different...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
joshua said that? lol, not much ignition is retarded (i hate to say dis, but its the proper word) ler then.. 1~2hp on the dynamics is much imo, joshua tuned it for u ker? ive never seen any of my cutomers facing similar problem when their B series were tuned by jo, i always advice never to go too aggressive as our fuel quality may not be able to cope. one more thing, what was the fuel dat u were using for the tuning session sir? i always go for the lowest grade for tuning purpose, dat allows u to have better flexibility when u cant access a higher fuel grade.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After asking a few mechanics' opinion, I have found out the auto gearbox for my Wira a/b 1.6 is going to die soon. All have suggested replacing the gearbox. Now, I have switched gearbox 3 times already, and I'm tired of that. Furthermore, the car revs more than it moves, therefore consuming a lot of petrol.

A friend's mechanic said he can replace my gearbox with a manual one at RM1700. This includes a 4G93 1.8 gearbox, gear console, pedals, flywheel, clutchplate, starter and all other...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience