b18c gsr to ed-3 convertion. need advice...

Banana_bun

Oct 10, 2010
Selangor
im a foreman that previously familiar with toyota engine convertion, but now, 1 of my customer had an ed-3 need to swap with b18c gsr from dc2 half cut,since im very rarely to play with honda mod, i begging:adore: for any advice from hondarian out there that can share any usefull info wit me to make this project successfull, im wondering about the engine mounting mod.. is there such as swap n macth for the engine mounting like toyota? how bout the drive shaft? n can i fit the dc2 dashboard to the ed-3 body? tq...:itsme:

PilaH

Known Member
Mar 27, 2007
eg3????ek3????ep3????wat model is that....mine ej6 runs wif GSR engine...

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
ED3?if i'm right,dis is d local version of d EF.....B18C GSR frm a DC2?hmmm..my mechanic fren just did 1 recently into an EF CR-X.....din really pay attention 2 it as i was not very interested...
but AFAIK,any DOHC VTEC conversion into an ED/EF chasis,u need 2 redo all mounts as they won fit d Bseries.ur headached wud b d front mount...coz ED/EF has frt crossmember while d GSR DC2 doesn't...u'll hafta figure out a way 2 hold d front mount.....d rest of d 3 mounts shudn't b dat hard...just need sum good alignment n a good welder....
sorry as i can't help much
good luck

PilaH

Known Member
Mar 27, 2007
tq akuma...never heard about ed3 before...4 ef lots of mechanic n kedai potong talk about sh code...that's why la....hhahhaa...newbies here...

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
SH3 or SH4 usually refers 2 d body type,either 2dr or 4dr...just like using SR3 or SR4 2 describe d EG Civics....ED is d chasis code....just like EF or EG Civics,eg:EF2,3,9,etc & EG6,8,9....
i think so lar..ahhahahahha

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
ED3 is EF chassis, probably carb model.. not sure about the mounting locations sorry. Best you can try is locate an converterd model and look at the locations. I think it's the same as EG, needing relocation of the transmission mount but not 100% sure.

But if you're swapping from an EG halfcut, then I think there's extra work with wiring, so have to trial and error it in.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
another thing u need to worry about is the clutch pump...the EF series chassis uses clutch cable... and i heard that converting a clutch pump gearbox into an EF is gonna be tough as there wont be much space for the clutch pump....though there are conversion kits available in the US. not too sure about this but this is wat i heard many many moons ago when i was using an EF.

for the crossmember thing, theres a a replacement called a traction bar. not sure how this could help...but suggest u try reading up on this in case it might help...last i found on mudah was rm1.9k in sunway...

but if u want easy... EF halfcut (plug n play), B18C/B20B Engine kosong....kasi hybrid satu kali

ive even recently googled for info on transplanting a B18C GSR DC2 into an EF...alot of the results i found were suggestions to go the hybrid way...

downside of this would be Small VTEC ECU & wiring and also a 4.2FD gearbox.
ECU & wiring not much of an issue with piggybacks or standalones available...

gearbox can also source for YS1 gearboxes...which is the only 4.4FD clutch cable gearbox which comes from Integra DA6 Big VTEC (abit rare, but can find). at least this gearbox u can use Big VTEC stuff like clutch, ratios etc. note: to fit this gearbox some slight knocking on the chassis is required as its a little longer than the Small VTEC gearboxes.

Banana_bun

Oct 10, 2010
Selangor
tons of thanxs to all fellow fren... my customer change his mind, its going to run dis projek wit b16a from da8 halfcut, 1 prop setel, becoz its using cabel clucth... i'll start dis projek slowly and will keep contact wit u all if there is any prop that need advice. dis morning, i've measured all dimention from ef-3 wit ef-9 small v-tec engine. 1 more thing, my customer interrested to fit dis engine wit 4 throttle body kit dat now availlable at da market(custom made 1 from toyota 20v engine) any advice, comment, suggesttion or guide for dis matter?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
ITB setup, can search for the thread I did.. nothing much to setup actually.. just have to balance the idle screws on the ports, then it should run with standard ECU.
Also have to fabricate a vacuum canister for brakes, fpr, etc.
Nothing to complex.. easier than I thought.. a lot of people didn't believe when I said that properly setup ITB can start and idle with standard ECU.. esp. if you're running stock engine.

Driving it is another story. standard mapping will be very lean for the lower end of the rpm, so it'll actually feel quite heavy a bit, and maybe even have a bit of knocking (the vac canister MAP sensor don't actually read the pressure very well, since ITB part throttle pressure =/= Intake manifold pressure.. since using one (or four runners, depending on how you install the MAP sensor) as the ECU manifold pressure reference.

That one, you have to kawtim with management.. or if want to drive it to the place to install the management, just bump up the fuel pres by 1bar+.. standard 2.5bar (without vac) to 3.5-4bar (without vac)... should be enough to drive it (I'm not saying it's going to be smooth, ok?) :P
Just enough to drive only.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

nth...just thinking is it posible to tint the car window with DIY?but actually how they do this?i mean the worker at the shop....i am planning to tint my car film...but dunno where is the best shop for reasonable price la....any one can help?or any DIYer here noe how to do this?thanks thanks thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience