need help from sifu...low engine RPM problem

camshaft

Known Member
Nov 3, 2006
its been a long time since i last post here in ZTH...btw...need help from u guys...my engine is EK b16A with S90 TB and skunk manifold...

the problem is every time i start up to warm up the engine...the car idle RPM just went down and the engine dies...i need to throttle and rev it for a minute or two then the car RPM will not drop but still low between 400-500 RPM waiting to reached full temp...

when it reached full temp then it will maintain at 900rpm but when the aircond is on...it will drop to 400-500 RPM again...and the engine seem like wanna dies already with the "thick! thick! thick!" sound...

i already the adjusted the screw at the TB and adjusted throttle cable...also adjusted the fuel pressure regulator...but still...same prob....

and another thing...smetimes...after when i tarik vtec...the car RPM will go crazy revving up between 1k RPM to 1.5K rpm constantly....

WTH is happening?!?! aiyoooo!

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
I had the same problem when i engaged VTEC. The rpm would rise to 2.5k or 3k. I was using b16 IM n TB at that time. I was told by a few forumers here that it could be the TPS, IACV and so on. When i checked with one mech, he asked me to service my TB 1st and see if it was better. I did that but it was the same. So, i checked my IACV. No problem with it. Then, i got fed up and changed the TB. No more problem. My mech said that something which opens and closes the TB isnt closing properly. That thing isnt closing properly when VTEC engages. So more air is going in or smtg like that. I'm not sure what he meant exactly. Anyway, when i changed my TB, i did not face the problem again.

There could be a few reasons. I was unlucky that i had to change the TB. Yours could be smtg else.

As to why your RPM is low, I cant comment on that. Never experienced that and I'm still learning.

Hope this helps a lil.

camshaft

Known Member
Nov 3, 2006
yeah....all this happen when i change my steering rack last week...gonna try check my TPS...try to unplug all the socket, o2 sensor and see how it goes after that...bout the ECU reset already tried it....but still the same....

by the way...where's the TPS located?

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
check the distributor wiring aswell.......very common problem la the wires there putus....

camshaft

Known Member
Nov 3, 2006
if there's a wire putus there...i think the engine check lite will on....but the check light is off...

confusing la cause i already sent it to foreman...he adjust here and there...rev a little...and say "siap"....i drove back home...and the next morning...still same problem...

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
TPS sensor is located on the throttle body. It's at the back, in between the driver and the intake/throttle body. It's black in color and looks like:
TPS SENSOR HONDA ACURA CRV PRELUDE CIVIC INTEGRA ALL

if this is ur first time unscrewing the tps sensor, i'd suggest not to disturb it. once unscrew, and if ur foremen cant get it at the 0 degree's position again, u will have funky idle. if removed before, then by all means, give it a go. normally a hunting/eratic idle is caused by wrong position of the tps sensor.

again, when u on air cond it drops low, most likely due to faulty idle valve (IACV). it controls the amount of air that goes in when air cond is on. anyway, its an easy piece of troubleshoot. just get another unit, and swap it in.

if all fails, drop me a PM. i believe my tuner can sort it out. i've given him enough challenge to settle my idle problems 1-2 years back. LOL

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
do leave us in here some feedback guys..he mention he's using s90 Tb...as i know s90 tb don't hv the autochoke tats helps to easy start during cold condition....am i rite:smokin:
few yrs drving honda still got lot of things to learn:rofl:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
u r right bro. s90 TB got no auto choke. but then in my case, i used back my original auto choke for this tb. how? i dont know. my mech told me that he's using back my old autochoke.

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
ddv_nk12 ; seems like u really trust ur pomen dy ar:biggrin: u just leave it to him to handle all those things hehe for me, i'll asked for all things he had done...sumtimes it does helps me with simple repair:biggrin:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
i think its called gamble.. lol. cuba nasib la since there's no point trying to be smarter than ur foremen.. lol

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
ddv_nk12 ; seems like u really trust ur pomen dy ar:biggrin: u just leave it to him to handle all those things hehe for me, i'll asked for all things he had done...sumtimes it does helps me with simple repair:biggrin:
lol... if i know then its a different thing. i can tell him what to do and what not to do. but me, ZERO knowledge on cars, what to tell him la? just let him do. afterall, i have fellow zthians to consult 1st.

:biggrin::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

i think its called gamble.. lol. cuba nasib la since there's no point trying to be smarter than ur foremen.. lol
no point at all.
if foreman wanna make money out of us, its very easy. they say its spoilt when its not. they say they change when they didnt, they know the exact problem but choose to suggest more expensive repairs. these are all normal. not all of them though. guess we, i mean ppl like me who dont know shit, have to learn the lesson the expensive way. kena con all the way till we find the right foreman.

camshaft

Known Member
Nov 3, 2006
just check all the wires this morning....everything seems to be in place...i didnt touch the TPS, wanna try to unplugged the IACV and clean it...but the IACV look kinda hard to disassemble from the intake...hahaha...so i just leave it and dont wanna mess around things that im not expert on...

i've reset the ecu again....start the engine...and somehow the engine didn't died...but it was idle at a very low rpm...also...if i throttle it before the engine fully warms up...the rpm will rev and drop kaw2 and my engine dies~ ....

quite busy with a lot of thing...i just cant find free time to send it to foreman...haiyaaa...

anyway..thanks from all the zthian and honda sifu for the feedback! :biggrin:

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
haha its not bout trying to be smarter bro....for me i prefer to stay n see with my own eyes for wat he's doing to my car(after i get con by sum idiot) :banghead:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Yo Sifus...

Here I am, driving Wira 1.5 Auto. I planned to convert to 5 speed Manual tranny. So few questions regarding manual tranny are:

1. What's the RPM when the car speed at 90Km/h ? (Which Gear? )
2. What's the RPM when the car speed at 120Km/h?
3. Possible to conver my 1.5A Gearbox to 1.6A Gearbox? due to 4 speed auto...
4. What's the possible problem in future when I convert to Manual tranny?
5. Price to convert? inclusive labour....

Thank You SIfus... Greatly appreciate it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience