Michelin's tyre recipe for 2050 - 100% sustainable

Needles Tosay

Newspeed

Needles Tosay

Newspeed
Jun 10, 2020
Petaling Jaya

Something rather interesting about the future of tyres.

Michelin plans to make all of its tyres with recycled, renewable, biosourced materials and go 100% sustainable by 2050. In this video, it shows in brief the materials and processes involved to achieve that.

In 2017, Michelin introduced the VISION Concept tyre which featured an airless, connected, rechargeable version of a sustainable tyre. Today, almost 30% of Michelin's tyres are said to be made from natural, recycled or sustainable raw materials.

A typical Michelin tyre is made from over 200 ingredients which include, natural rubber, synthetic rubber, metal, fibers and components such as carbon black, silica and plasticizers like resins to strengthen a tyre's structure. Then, all cleverly blended to produce a high performance tyre.

Here's how Michelin plan to make 100% sustainable possible:

Partnerships with innovative startups to develop new technologies to make it possible to recover carbon black or pyrolysis oil from old tyres and to recycle polystyrene

Axens and IFP Energies Nouvelles, who've worked with Michelin since 2018 will spearhead the BioButterfly project which produces bio-sourced butadiene can replace petroleum bases butadiene.

Butadiene is one of the components used in synthetic rubber to make tyres.

BioButterfly uses biomass from wood, rice husks, leaves, corn stalks and other plant waste to produce butadiene.

Produce recycled styrene from plastics typically found in food packaging and insulating panels via partnership signed in 2020 between Michelin and Canadian, Pyrowave.

Styrene is a crucial monomer not only for producing polystyrene, but also as synthetic rubber for tyres.

New process developed by Carbios, a French startup to deconstruct PET 3 plastic waste into original pure monomers which can then be infinitely recovered and reused again and again

Launch a tyre recycling plant with Swedish based Enviro. They have developed technology to recover carbon black, pyrolysis oil, steel, gas and other reusable materials from end of life tyres.

Reactions: Izso

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Making a product from 100% recycled material is the easy part. The hard or dirty part is processing the item to be recycled and produce raw material for that product.
In this case, the tire will be 'eco friendly' but the supply chain might not be so eco friendly.

Reactions: Needles Tosay

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
interesting, you could be right
i've always thought the bibendum tyre was one up
I think the current overall line up of Goodyear is even better than Michelin.
- F1SS probably bit better than PS4S plus got sizes in 18'.
- F1A5 is at least as good as PS4 minus the chipping issue.
- GY has F1S which Michelin doesn't have a match which might offer better value for money than PS4,
- GY ATM2 and Efficient Grip are also at least as good if not better than XM2+ and Primacy 4 at cheaper prices to boot.
Michelin's only advantage is now just PS3 still existing in 15'.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
To what I know, GY now concentrate on larger sizes for their performance category. When they had the GY F1 GS-D3, the directional king of the wet, they had 15" but seems many complaints, probably the Thai made ones as I was using the German ones, that is why when the first F1 Asy started, smallest was 17". Even PS2 did not have small sizes, only started in PS3, now PS4 also do not have in small sizes......lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
To what I know, GY now concentrate on larger sizes for their performance category. When they had the GY F1 GS-D3, the directional king of the wet, they had 15" but seems many complaints, probably the Thai made ones as I was using the German ones, that is why when the first F1 Asy started, smallest was 17". Even PS2 did not have small sizes, only started in PS3, now PS4 also do not have in small sizes......lol
Last time they had F1D5 in 15', now seems no more. The replacement F1S only down to 16, just like PS4. I suppose 16 now is already considered small as many b-segment already come std with 16 now.

Needles Tosay

Newspeed

Needles Tosay

Newspeed
Jun 10, 2020
Petaling Jaya
I think the current overall line up of Goodyear is even better than Michelin.
- F1SS probably bit better than PS4S plus got sizes in 18'.
- F1A5 is at least as good as PS4 minus the chipping issue.
- GY has F1S which Michelin doesn't have a match which might offer better value for money than PS4,
- GY ATM2 and Efficient Grip are also at least as good if not better than XM2+ and Primacy 4 at cheaper prices to boot.
interesting. I've tried the 2nd and 3rd F1 in the early 2000s and loved them. Haven't been following their F1 for some time. hoping to try the F1 Supersport soon. Reviews do say it edges over the Michelins

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
interesting. I've tried the 2nd and 3rd F1 in the early 2000s and loved them. Haven't been following their F1 for some time. hoping to try the F1 Supersport soon. Reviews do say it edges over the Michelins
GY F1 Asy launched here around 2008, then I changed to Asy 2 in 2011, Asy 3 in 2017.....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Would've surely tried the F1SS if only it's available in Evo stock 17' size.

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I feel Michelin tyres are more consistent in performance across the board, for example the XM2 is also among the top of its class. Speaking from personal experience, the XM2 vs NCT5. The Goodyear was quite crap relatively speaking.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I had a brake problem. I use proton satria 1st model. I've put mivec half cut. the first workshop was to install my brakes in reverse. but it has been restored. in that it began to brake crazy. sometimes high. sometimes tight. sometimes low. I already change the master pump, brake kits and brake service. good for a while. after that he be returned. I was dizzy. I asked all of the pro in this case can give you some tips and ideas to solve my problem. Thank you. Sorry if my english language...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience