imitation rims - are they really not reliable at all?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So best is still OEM rims? :smile:

Mine 8 years 'touchwood' no problem.
That's why best to buy ori rims and not those cheaper ones?

Any advice to prevent such thing from happening?
If you mean JDM then okay, but OEM like Proton ones are just supplied by Rims manufacturer only...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Either they are reliable or not i don't really want to consider them. Get a job and get a proper wheels! Either that stay stock. Getting replica meaning you are helping to build reputation or market for counterfeit and destroying the market of genuine.
i'm agree that original items was the best bet.....but not everyone gets their dream job...replica wheels is ok only if: not dangerous to use (atleast must quality must stay within safe standards)

its the same like kit car manufacturer that produce "replica" cars for the masses....as long as the driver knew and understand what was the car able (or should be not able to do).....

i don't expect that replica parts to be the same standard as the original products....

1 of the reason not many willing to get an ori one is mainly due to Petty, low life and good for nothing thieves.

Especially if you park outside most of the time. You will be worried about your wheels.
Either that we are just someone who park indoors and always park at places with high security.
Maybe shopping malls go for Valet parking instead....

Not many can afford a valet parking man.
yes..i have 2 sets (8pcs) of original racing wheels at home not in use simply because of this....plus my car model was among in the hot list car among the thieves

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
1 of the reason not many willing to get an ori one is mainly due to Petty, low life and good for nothing thieves.

Especially if you park outside most of the time. You will be worried about your wheels.
Either that we are just someone who park indoors and always park at places with high security.
Maybe shopping malls go for Valet parking instead....

Not many can afford a valet parking man.
Unfortunately that would be the downside of having goodies. Doesn't matter wheels/gauges or anything else. I know a guy got marked and his heavily equipped track car got invaded. Interesting part is, he stays in a heavily guarded luxury area. Poor him.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If you mean JDM then okay, but OEM like Proton ones are just supplied by Rims manufacturer only...
But mine is TDM not JDM k ka? :rofl:

i'm agree that original items was the best bet.....but not everyone gets their dream job...replica wheels is ok only if: not dangerous to use (atleast must quality must stay within safe standards)

its the same like kit car manufacturer that produce "replica" cars for the masses....as long as the driver knew and understand what was the car able (or should be not able to do).....

i don't expect that replica parts to be the same standard as the original products....

yes..i have 2 sets (8pcs) of original racing wheels at home not in use simply because of this....plus my car model was among in the hot list car among the thieves
No wonder you ride a bike to work everyday but then best to drive a car, heard lots of motorcycle accidents involving deaths. 8pcs? Is it for sale? :biggrin:

Unfortunately that would be the downside of having goodies. Doesn't matter wheels/gauges or anything else. I know a guy got marked and his heavily equipped track car got invaded. Interesting part is, he stays in a heavily guarded luxury area. Poor him.
Is all about money, pay the guard and u r good to go. But then could be someone from around the neighborhood...who knows. :smile:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
hello...i think those on your picture was volk/rota wheels.....such a big wheels on big heavy car everything tends to be weaker....

but atleast with my puny 15" wheels on sub 1tonne car with my rally driving styles+adjustable coil-over suspension it seem my chassis starts to develop crack first instead of my rims.... :driver:

ever heard a story of original OEM/factory wheels bent/broken also?? because so many driving style/condition its suggest that not every replica wheels subject to fatal failure...and also not every oem/factory/genuine wheels lasts forever......
TOYOTA VEEYOS is a BIG HEAVY CAR ah? Wah, die lor, Hummer no market already, those continental can go eat shit, cause watch out, Toyota Vios is a BIG heavy car. S-class also can go fly kite. :rolleyes:

Sure, OEM failures happens too. But when THAT happens, somebody is accountable. If you buy a Proton, and the stock rim pecah, cause accident, death, you can sue Proton. (not sure if you'd win, but you can try). You use fake rim, pecah, you can go bang own balls.

There's pictures as proof, stop being in denial and kid yourself lah. It is perfectly OK you use imitation rims, afterall, it is your car, your life. But it is MISLEADING to say it is OK, cause look, its not. So stop making other people think its fine. God knows what kinda QC went into that. You want to see how a REAL VOLK rims is made?

Making of Rays Engineering Wheels - YouTube

These rims have actual certification and tests. Whereas the fakes just have the label of the certification stamped onto it. Like I said, its like eating fake eggs. You'd still poop shit. Doesn't mean its safe.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

replica wheels is ok only if: not dangerous to use (atleast must quality must stay within safe standards)

The question is, how you know? Replica wheels have replica certification. Unless YOU are a qualified engineer, stop saying it is safe.

What's safe standard? The fact you used and it haven't pecah?

Sorry, I don't see how one can COMPROMISE when it comes to SAFETY.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
TOYOTA VEEYOS is a BIG HEAVY CAR ah? Wah, die lor, Hummer no market already, those continental can go eat shit, cause watch out, Toyota Vios is a BIG heavy car. S-class also can go fly kite. :rolleyes:

Sure, OEM failures happens too. But when THAT happens, somebody is accountable. If you buy a Proton, and the stock rim pecah, cause accident, death, you can sue Proton. (not sure if you'd win, but you can try). You use fake rim, pecah, you can go bang own balls.

There's pictures as proof, stop being in denial and kid yourself lah. It is perfectly OK you use imitation rims, afterall, it is your car, your life. But it is MISLEADING to say it is OK, cause look, its not. So stop making other people think its fine. God knows what kinda QC went into that. You want to see how a REAL VOLK rims is made?

Making of Rays Engineering Wheels - YouTube

These rims have actual certification and tests. Whereas the fakes just have the label of the certification stamped onto it. Like I said, its like eating fake eggs. You'd still poop shit. Doesn't mean its safe.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

The question is, how you know? Replica wheels have replica certification. Unless YOU are a qualified engineer, stop saying it is safe.

What's safe standard? The fact you used and it haven't pecah?

Sorry, I don't see how one can COMPROMISE when it comes to SAFETY.

yes i understand the procces of original wheels how its made and QC control as well as finishing...

not to mention if extra proccess was done like forging was done......

but if we talk about normal "casting" in wheel manufacturing procces no matter original wheels or replica....the only difference perhaps in "material" compound and QC (which i dunnow including metallurgy xray or not)

i wouldnt compare forged rims with normal cast wheel...it would be obvious wouldn't it?

i didn't have the luxury to do testing on replica versus original...but if u do have oppotunity to do that try to choose exact wheel design and size...both that produced with casting technique and do whatever test u want.....maybe i suggest on: 1)material 2)dimension [thickness and weight] and indenter test (or destructive test)

if the material is similar (or not far off) and thickness lets say thicker on replica wheels (because ppl says taiwan rim so heavy right) i would say it is quite ok to use....

unless the material was teribbly weak+thinner dimension..then confirm i will say it isnt safe...

yes i'm no engineer....but atleast i'm engineer asisstant in mech engineering.....so atleast i knew the core key "aspect" to look in term engineering....

and yes i do agree replica rims that took the original design from rims that was made using special technique (especially forging and other strength improvement method) was never be as safe as the original one....

and regarding the famous "rota" wheels...i'm never a fan of it in the first place....if u want me to compare this kind of rims design/size over the original rims..definately i'm saying it wasnt reliable enough..because most of their wheel design was taken from those rims that goes into strict manufacturing procces...such as te37 sl,ce28n etc etc.....and even from naked eye already can see that their rim design looks weak (thinner on certain area).....especially for the size 17" and above.....

-regarding that vios rims that failed...i'm not saying that vios was so heavy but..i would leave the cause to a lot of possibilities.....not just simply saying the rim failed because it was replica rims 100% confirm can patah or break easily......but u must look at outside factor as well..that including the road condition...

-please show me example of replica wheels that never trashed...never crashed....never hit potholes...never hit anything and only rolls on smooth surface....and then suddenly it breaks on its own....

even me taking the safe option by using original oz racing wheels in my rally car......but to totally ban replica rims for normal road use seems like a bit unrealistic to me.....after all i'm not racing on the road/or simply driving fast here and there.....especially with our road condition......

so don't worry..i'm not saying that replica wheels is as safe as the original...like i've posted earlier.....u will never able to match a replica supercar with the real supercar......atleast not in the "performance" department.....so my say is its quite similar case on replica versus original rims....the performance of replica will never match the original rims...but atleast the reliability for normal use can be acceptable if we choose the specification-(certain design and size) properly....

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
well that video shows forged rims.. cast rims also available from volks at cheaper price.. but who wants to buy expensive cast rims right?

I chose second hand original due to budget, and my secondary wheel (bought recently is oem honda from an ep3)..

I'm also the type to be 'better safe than sorry'

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Recently I was thinking of upsizing my car tyre size from 16" to 17". Also read a lot of feedback and debates on Replica, Ori or Taiwan made Replica rims.

If not because of this thread or topic being discussed before, I think I would just simply get a nice Replica to upsize to 17" and pair it with a good set of tyres.

Replica or Taiwan made rims can be seen selling at RM700-RM800 but if were to deduct trade in price, I can easily get a set of 4 Replica rims for the price of RM580-RM600. Then pair it with a set of good tyres.

This has put me in a dilemma for quite some time and what concerns me is that the safety measures or limit for Replica rims is unknown.
Some may say drive normally and not any hard driving or hitting against pot holes and curbs should be safe to use. But then again some potholes are unexpected or may be in some dark areas which is too late to avoid is also another possibility.

But then again, getting a good quality lightweight rims, cheapest options only leaves me to either Konig or Advanti rims which cost about RM1500-1900 per set.

With this price, many may think that a Replica that Cost RM600 after tradie in, I could pair it with good tyres which also amount up to RM1500 or so.

But Rm1500 is just rims alone, include normal set of tyres say RM230 per piece. That would add up to a total of RM1500 + RM920 = RM2420.

If we want to have both quality tyres and rims, that could or might add up to RM3K+.

Well, I believe some would say, if no budget then just remain the same size or maybe save up for a better rims & tyres is always the best option till date.

Some feel okay to use replica and some doesnt. Well of course, Original is always safer but hitting a deep pothole or anything wont guarantee it wont break but just risk is lower.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well, I believe some would say, if no budget then just remain the same size or maybe save up for a better rims & tyres is always the best option till date.

Some feel okay to use replica and some doesnt. Well of course, Original is always safer but hitting a deep pothole or anything wont guarantee it wont break but just risk is lower.
*facepalm* :banghead:

No money to upsize properly don't do it. If the "cheap" rim breaks for whatever reason (perhaps just bad luck) then it'll be WAY MORE than RM2k to repair everything.

I've hit a few small pot holes and heart breaking banging noises in my car and to date nothing has ever broken - both my Advanti and Konig. The likelihood of my skirting breaking is waaaaaaaaaaaay higher than my Advanti / Konig rims breaking. Not like I have tonnes of power to break the spokes and at least both these rims are either forged with certain amounts of quality. And they are lightweight. Lightweight trumps looks anyday.

Buy good rims and I'll sell you my GY Assy2 cheap :biggrin: 215/45/17

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Recently I was thinking of upsizing my car tyre size from 16" to 17". Also read a lot of feedback and debates on Replica, Ori or Taiwan made Replica rims.

If not because of this thread or topic being discussed before, I think I would just simply get a nice Replica to upsize to 17" and pair it with a good set of tyres.

Replica or Taiwan made rims can be seen selling at RM700-RM800 but if were to deduct trade in price, I can easily get a set of 4 Replica rims for the price of RM580-RM600. Then pair it with a set of good tyres.

This has put me in a dilemma for quite some time and what concerns me is that the safety measures or limit for Replica rims is unknown.
Some may say drive normally and not any hard driving or hitting against pot holes and curbs should be safe to use. But then again some potholes are unexpected or may be in some dark areas which is too late to avoid is also another possibility.

But then again, getting a good quality lightweight rims, cheapest options only leaves me to either Konig or Advanti rims which cost about RM1500-1900 per set.

With this price, many may think that a Replica that Cost RM600 after tradie in, I could pair it with good tyres which also amount up to RM1500 or so.

But Rm1500 is just rims alone, include normal set of tyres say RM230 per piece. That would add up to a total of RM1500 + RM920 = RM2420.

If we want to have both quality tyres and rims, that could or might add up to RM3K+.

If going replica, you might as well look at second hand rims. They will be much better. If not, then don't go light weight. Buy normal weight rims also way better then replica.
Rims are one time thing unless you like to change rims a lot.....hhahahhahahha:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

If selling really cheap I will take it off you, rather then wait for bro. SF......hhahahhahahha:biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
even if using second hand ori japanese rims, I dont think there will be warranty given if the rims is damaged, when masuk pot holes....

Half-cut give no warranty to their second hand jap ori sport rims...
Tyre shop selling oso give no warranty to their second hand jap ori rim...

Is this not true?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

No money to upsize properly don't do it. If the "cheap" rim breaks for whatever reason (perhaps just bad luck) then it'll be WAY MORE than RM2k to repair everything.

I've hit a few small pot holes and heart breaking banging noises in my car and to date nothing has ever broken - both my Advanti and Konig. The likelihood of my skirting breaking is waaaaaaaaaaaay higher than my Advanti / Konig rims breaking. Not like I have tonnes of power to break the spokes and at least both these rims are either forged with certain amounts of quality. And they are lightweight. Lightweight trumps looks anyday.

Thx bro, deal closed in whatsapp group haha!

even if using second hand ori japanese rims, I dont think there will be warranty given if the rims is damaged, when masuk pot holes....

Is this not true?
Ya I think no warranty.

Thx to Izso & other friends advice, now I don't need settle for replica hehe!

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Is this not true?
Hit pot hole, new also no warranty loh......:driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Totally agree with those!
That's why I always bring weight scale when buying rims.

If going replica, you might as well look at second hand rims. They will be much better. If not, then don't go light weight. Buy normal weight rims also way better then replica.
Rims are one time thing unless you like to change rims a lot.....hhahahhahahha:biggrin:

Also agree! That's why I bought used forged rims for my car and still very happy with it. Would never consider changing unless can find another set of used one at least as cheap and light too!
My F1-D5 cost a few hundred more than my rims when I bought them together.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

well that video shows forged rims.. cast rims also available from volks at cheaper price.. but who wants to buy expensive cast rims right?

I chose second hand original due to budget, and my secondary wheel (bought recently is oem honda from an ep3)..

I'm also the type to be 'better safe than sorry'

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
There a re a few cast rims which are also very light and relatively expensive and yet still widely sought after, like the Enkei RPF1, right?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

1. How much is the eibach pro-kit & sportsline springs for satria 1.6/1.8?

2. Which shop (around PJ)?

Thanks guys...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience