how to test drive the 2nd Airtrek Turbo?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
Bro biao, do you plan to modify the Airtrek to get more juice out of it?

Let me share my story. When I bought my Airtrek, I was telling myself that I will not modify it. What more you need when you already have 240hp (well, that's the rating in the catalogue). Then when I drive it after some time, you'll feel that the car isn't really that fast.

10 year old Airtrek Turbo with no modification at all (untouch ya) with normal maintenance only will give you the most of 150-160whp. If condition is superb, maybe 170whp. Lugging that over 1600kgs chassis, 0 to 100 means around 9 secs. It's bullshit in the catalogue says 6.5 secs. Even lightly modded (exhaust, air filter and raised boost) Airtrek with stock internals and turbine will give you around 7 secs.

Morale of the story, unless you're really good and discipline NOT to touch it, then find a completely stock one. But I tell you, it's not going to be easy. Family type that owns those car, mostly have sold off cos it's too old. People who buys it are younger ones which for sure, modify it.

If you plan to be injected with poison by us here (hehehehe), it's OKAY to get a lightly modified one from the members here. Less worry, condition of our treks mostly are better than any car daelers claimed completely stock ones.

FYI, there are also quite a few members demodding the car back to stock just to sell... so your stock one, is it really 'virgin'? ... :)
thanks your sharing. ya you are correct, i plan is will lightly mod example intercooler and break caliber, air filter, cos i hear that this car very engine very high temperature , right? so maybe i wil mod the intercooler move to front. i plan to buy the car owner is my friend, so i know is still virgin never mod before. recently i found a airtrek sell very cheap just around RM35k only 2003yr. but havent get contact the dealer/owner yet.
because i have friend is hardcore racing member, he have share his experience to me also. he suggest me buy stock car better, cos he say we do not know the mod owner how their driving style.
why i choose 2003 yr model because of budget.

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
omg..my friend don't want sell the car.
tomorrow maybe will go down penang test the used car from used car dealer.
any idea? i heard that penang car cannot buy, cause the corrosion very high. so how?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
omg..my friend don't want sell the car.
tomorrow maybe will go down penang test the used car from used car dealer.
any idea? i heard that penang car cannot buy, cause the corrosion very high. so how?
why Penang corrosion high? Sea water salty air?

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
if we're living near the sea water, the surrounding air may have been highly contaminated by salt water. so salt water can get the steel to corroded faster than normal air.. but all car has anti rust on bottom of the car.. check first before jump into conclusion..

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
why Penang corrosion high? Sea water salty air?
yup. is correct. thats why pg plate car very cheap

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

if we're living near the sea water, the surrounding air may have been highly contaminated by salt water. so salt water can get the steel to corroded faster than normal air.. but all car has anti rust on bottom of the car.. check first before jump into conclusion..
yup. u r correct. we now our not new car anymore. the anti rust also cannot stand so long with the salt water. container also will died ah...haha

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
Good luck on yr Atr search bro.
after test drive come back to ipoh.
1st time test drive feel like this car not that power that i imagine.
i pedal till end,the engine no jerk n gearbox ok.
but dont why i continue press pedal n release pedal,release pedal the moment why have 'tok' sound on front engine?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Cud be engine mounting. Cud also be some bad bushes.

Original Atr turbo is not fast. Coupe with heavy body, worse. So that's why we modify it.

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
Cud be engine mounting. Cud also be some bad bushes.

Original Atr turbo is not fast. Coupe with heavy body, worse. So that's why we modify it.
is it becos original,that why the power will abit 'chi dun'?
so lets say is mounting or bushes problem,repair cost high?n easy repair?
now i asking my fren let my drive his stock car feel the original feeling us how?
cos lasttime i sit his car feel quite power d.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Butt feel is very subjective. Maybe the one u tested has problem cos u said last time was powerful?

Repair cost cost for engine mounting is around 1.6K and all bushes is around 1.5K.

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
Butt feel is very subjective. Maybe the one u tested has problem cos u said last time was powerful?

Repair cost cost for engine mounting is around 1.6K and all bushes is around 1.5K.
yesterday i test drive is from used car dealer.
lasttime i sit that car is my friend d,but i never drive b4,just passenger.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I see. We'll diff car diff health condition. Anyway, stock car is not that powerful like I said.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
If you really have a stock Airtrek and wish to increase the power 'cheaply', you can actually. It's pretty simple and cost effective. I would recomend the following:

1) Air filter - K&N drop in (+/- RM350)
2) Decat - +/- RM250
3) Manual Boost Controller - +/- RM250

Before that, make sure your car is in healthy stage. Like good plugs, no leaky vacuum pipes and good maintained lubes (oil, ATF, LSD etc).

Stock boost is around 0.6-7 bar. I think it will produce around 160whp. Recomend cranking up the boost to 1 bar, you will be getting around 180whp. That will be really FUN to drive compared to stock. GOOD LUCK!

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
I see. We'll diff car diff health condition. Anyway, stock car is not that powerful like I said.
ya i know. but atleast have some feel like heavy pedal then will have the back stick on the seat feeling. but this 1 do not have this feel.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

stock car only concern FC not power.. when its on our hand, we want both... :driver:
yup correct

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

If you really have a stock Airtrek and wish to increase the power 'cheaply', you can actually. It's pretty simple and cost effective. I would recomend the following:

1) Air filter - K&N drop in (+/- RM350)
2) Decat - +/- RM250
3) Manual Boost Controller - +/- RM250

Before that, make sure your car is in healthy stage. Like good plugs, no leaky vacuum pipes and good maintained lubes (oil, ATF, LSD etc).

Stock boost is around 0.6-7 bar. I think it will produce around 160whp. Recomend cranking up the boost to 1 bar, you will be getting around 180whp. That will be really FUN to drive compared to stock. GOOD LUCK!
oic.. thank you. but what is decat? the air filter sure need K&N just good the good result?others brands can?like works, bmc....

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
crank up to 1.2 bar boost n u will feel ur back stick to the seat.. n u cant even touch the dashboard when crank up to 1.5 bar..