How to know if the timing belt is spoilt?

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
-----------------------------

Last edited:

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Open up timing belt cover n look for visible cracks. Don't wait till it's too late.

BTW, when was the last time u change it? Should replace every 60,000kms (normal driving) or 50,000km (hard driving).

In my case, very unlucky... timing belt broke after 31,000kms... sending all 16 valves crashing onto the cylinder heads. Engine is a total lost!

mahfudz_mn

Known Member
Nov 22, 2004
Bukit Jalil
Visit site
ac bc is right...the best thing to do is know the recommended service and replacement interval to change the belt...because timing belt is not easy to open by ourselves except those sifus...but once you exceed its life span...things like what happened to acbc will happen to you...imagine this, being able to walk but not able to control the pace of your steps? how is that? thats how important the timing belt is to your engine...

also...when purchasing a car, new or used...one of the first thing on ur to do list is not to modify that baby...rather change the timing belt so you would know for certain when to change it again...this would save you a bomb if ur about to get unlucky...

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
---------------

Last edited:

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Well, some can last for 80k, depend on luck, but should becareful when reach 60k. Carburetor car you can always adjust back the timing.

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
normally, japanese and korean car manufacturers recommend cam belt replacement at 100K. but due to our extreme hot weather compare to theirs, its advisable to take a safe precaution. change at 80k is wise. unless of coz, your car manual states differently.

example - Alfa's boxer engines require change at every 30K. delay it to 35K and voila! timing belt will snapped. thats main reason Fiat group decided to share Fiat's straight fours with Alfa. Alfa only designed new cylinder heads for it.

and yeah, it is advisable to change cam belt 1st thing when buying a used car. but we still can take risk by checking the cam belt visually. just remove the outer cover, and check the grooves.

unless of course, there is a plan for engine conversion....

kelvio

1,000 RPM
Jan 16, 2005
selangor
www.geocities.com
if your car rpm when idling is unstable u should check:

1.carb timing
2.air flow(air filter)
3.oil filter
4.spark plug

correct me if im wrong

edwin_lcw

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
Setapak
wah u mean the engine total lost is gone ar ? walau then i also need to check oh ..... but some is i mean terbalik oledi one ..... how to see ... ?

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Its pure luck when your timing belt broken just after 31,000KM. I actually forgotten to change mine and that belt lasted me like 120,000KM. Almost freaked out when i realise how risky it was.

Sometimes, you can't see the timing belt damage just by inspecting it visually. Unless its in such bad shape that is half ripped off or something. You actually have to take the belt off, turn it the other side and bend it hard. If there are cracks in the rubber, it shows you need to change.

Quite right said, our tropical weather means that the lifespan of a timing belt is shorter.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
After the timing belt issue, I was thinking of Power Super Strong timing belt... costs RM 550 (double of standard MMC ones). Already asked many people n all given good comments.

The PSSTB is made of silicone n chances of snapping is rare (maybe once in a blue moon). Then again, certain quarters swear on their own grave that even the stock MMC ones can last quite long... above 100,000kms. Again, it all depends... if u always high-rev here n there or always do traffic light drags, it won't last.

For my bad luck case, I found a piece of stone trapped inside the timing belt cover (after ripping apart the old engine)... no idea how it got there. Bad luck I guess...

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
U will know when your engine suddenly seize/jam.

Normally people change Timing Belt and Water Pump together because they are very hard to reach to remove and install.. so might as well do it the same time.

I just changed my timing belt recently not because of the mileage, but because there was a small stone inside the timing belt cover which cause some wear and tear to my timing belt. There was also a crack on the timing belt. Lucky thing my mechanic check it.

uglied_Kcar

Feb 24, 2006
my timing belt got a partion of the outer layer peel off...i just change it no more than 10k km..how? can claim warranty? btw, i install it by my mech..

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi anyone can suggest me the brand of imported or high quality 2" mid box and bullet available in malaysia? i saw brand "sebring" 2 inch mid box and looks like good quality. i wonder if there are other brands also? are there HKS or Apexi 2" bullet or midbox on the market other than the mufflers?

sorry for being ignorance:D.im trying to mod my kelisa exhaust with high quality products
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience