How To Index Spark Plugs

babahni

May 10, 2005
ipoh
Dear frens ,
So after many people start to discuss about side gapping spark plug , here another method of screwing in spark plug so that the gap is facing the exhaust valve.
I quote : The ideal position of the plug is such that the gap is facing towards the valves, preferably the exhaust valve.
"There is a lot of debate and skepticism to whether or not spark plug indexing is worth the effort. Some studies have shown 1-2% of total engine power can be lost through poor spark direction.
Indexing spark plugs has been practiced by motoring enthusiasts for many years. The technique has been used by racers to obtain maximum combustion efficiency within each cylinder, and also to maintain consistent combustion between all cylinders. The object of indexing spark plugs is to ensure that a spark plugs ground electrode is not positioned in such a way where it is shielding the spark from the fuel/air charge or impeding the flame front as it travels away from the spark plug into the chamber. The ideal position of the plug in the head is such that the gap is facing towards the valves, so that the spark is fully visible to, and aimed at, the center of the combustion chamber.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/indexplugs/index.shtml
So happy gapping and indexing

kruger

500 RPM
Feb 16, 2005
A.Setar
yyap2... you the plugs facing your pistol arrr??? hahahaha... :D i tought facing towards the valve ma... results, maybe improves in torque i guess and maybe a lil bit of fuel saving coz all the fuel will burn completely.

yyap2

1,000 RPM
Mar 16, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
eh guys.. izzit deferrent car different spark plug??? y my honda tool can't remove de spark plug nut in proton///

ufo

Known Member
Mar 19, 2005
indexing plug

babahni said:
Dear frens ,
So after many people start to discuss about side gapping spark plug , here another method of screwing in spark plug so that the gap is facing the exhaust valve.
I quote : The ideal position of the plug is such that the gap is facing towards the valves, preferably the exhaust valve.
"There is a lot of debate and skepticism to whether or not spark plug indexing is worth the effort. Some studies have shown 1-2% of total engine power can be lost through poor spark direction.
Indexing spark plugs has been practiced by motoring enthusiasts for many years. The technique has been used by racers to obtain maximum combustion efficiency within each cylinder, and also to maintain consistent combustion between all cylinders. The object of indexing spark plugs is to ensure that a spark plugs ground electrode is not positioned in such a way where it is shielding the spark from the fuel/air charge or impeding the flame front as it travels away from the spark plug into the chamber. The ideal position of the plug in the head is such that the gap is facing towards the valves, so that the spark is fully visible to, and aimed at, the center of the combustion chamber.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/indexplugs/index.shtml
So happy gapping and indexing
waawaa.. dis job is not as easy as it look... by marking a reference there is easy ,but to see my engine Exhaust Valve n d Distance??? alamak! susah sia! :((, a proper threaded plug would b easier but diff plug haf diff plug threading, by adding a washer might not b a gd idea, how do we know how deep or shallow mus the electrode goes?
it got mention "BY TAILOR THE POSITION N DEPTH OF THE ELECTRODE, we can solve d problems..." not as easy as i tot.. hmmmm....

yyap2

1,000 RPM
Mar 16, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
hey guys... how u position it wo.. u see ah.. i marked de spark plug... all not facing middle..
all face side in bellow... so how i can made it face to de valve?? should i add washer?? bot i dunno wat thickness washer wo.. but after i took out my spark plug n exchange de position to get de best position.. then i go test drive.. i felt it is deferrent.. i also dunno la....

tis morning i up plug one of de spark plug cable... n i forget to plug back.. then i start engine.. i felt y de engine lik shake shake lik wanan die.. then i open bonnet oh shit!!~~ forget to plug back one of de spark plug cable...

wasted my fuel.. hehehe

ufo

Known Member
Mar 19, 2005
yyap2 said:
hey guys... how u position it wo.. u see ah.. i marked de spark plug... all not facing middle..
all face side in bellow... so how i can made it face to de valve?? should i add washer?? bot i dunno wat thickness washer wo.. but after i took out my spark plug n exchange de position to get de best position.. then i go test drive.. i felt it is deferrent.. i also dunno la....

tis morning i up plug one of de spark plug cable... n i forget to plug back.. then i start engine.. i felt y de engine lik shake shake lik wanan die.. then i open bonnet oh shit!!~~ forget to plug back one of de spark plug cable...

wasted my fuel.. hehehe
we dunno d standard distance between the plug n the piston, by adding a washer, we r makin the plug distance away frm the piston, does tat make d engine combust properly? we dunno.., without washer should b d standard distance. so if we haf to get tat index, jus like wat kage said, not to screw it too tight. well, if dun screw too tight , u might wan to check ur plug reguary coz our engine shakes.. so d vibration might haf loosen the plug sooner or later. :)

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I wonder if waja spring can fix into satria/wira 1.6 without any modification??:Not_Impressed:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience