How to improve low end speed?

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Im driving a civic ek4 automatic. After i change my piping size to 2.3inch and remove my cat converter my low end speed suffer...is it becos 2.3inch is too big for auto vtec?

My current mod is
Hks Open Pod
Bosch Fusion Plug
Quadcore 10mm cable with Stromberg
Fgk 4-2-1 extractor
Fgk sflow muffler with center bullet

Any tips to improve my low end without changing to manual?

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
hohoho,... by removing ur catcon,... now the exhaust had forgone the kickback,...

wait for sifus to comment.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
If you changed to those parts. Get a VAFC to clean up the stock fuel mapping, the low end should improve quite a bit. At least response wise, it will be better.

But don't expect power like you change to 2.0L.

Dougster

Known Member
Jul 17, 2004
Kay Elle...
members.cardomain.com
Hey...

Thought id share an opinion..

The mods you've done... 4-2-1, larger diameter exhaust pipes, removing cat con will ultimately result in better exhaust flow out from the engine.... ur powerband has probably moved up slightly higher in the RPM range..
If you want better low end torque, you're gonna need backpressure... but with ur current setup, backpressure has been significantly decreased....even with ur S Flow muffler..
Add that to the fact that your using an Auto Gearbox which is usually more sluggish than a manual during acceleration..

By the way, what is your exhaust routing like? Is it a straight setup? or is it following the original exhaust routing?
Straight pipe setups are no good when it comes to low end torque...

I suppose ur using a 1.6 right? Like shiroitenshi said, you cant expect low initial torque as with a 2.0 engine....There's no replacement for displacement...

Well hope that clarifies the possible factors to ur problem...

Solutions? Depends on what you want...
Not so simple to get good low torque whiles having good high rpm torque from a small displacement engine... Considering ur using an auto, i think smaller diameter exhaust setup with more backpressure is much better... coz then u'd save fuel, whiles having valuable low rpm torque.... Real ideal for city driving.... (im guessing city driving is more important considering ur choosing an Auto)

If you're looking to have more fun with ur car.... Meaning ur going to be driving more "enthusiastically" or go for track days, then definitely high revving is the way to go... especially from a high compression 1.6 engine... Which would then be much better mated to a manual gearbox...

So unless ur willing to spend a lot of money to squeeze more power from ur engine...
U gotta decide what kind of car you want out of ur Civic ..

hope this helps...

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
If you changed to those parts. Get a VAFC to clean up the stock fuel mapping, the low end should improve quite a bit. At least response wise, it will be better.

But don't expect power like you change to 2.0L.
well says bro... well says...:proud:

if dun wan VAFC, just give me, simon or dcloo for a buzz....:proud:

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Im using the original exhaust routing. By changing to 2.3inch i can only feel more powerful when vtec engage till redline but when normal driving(below3k rpm) the car feel so heavy. Anyway i already bought a pair of b16a manual cam and vafc. Is it worth to upgrade to adjustable cam pulley and lighten crank with my current setup?

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
At least better then my b16a autocam :P Actually i regret buying it. But if i change to b18cr or b16b cam will i need to change other stuff or will it damage my auto tranny?

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
just get 16b cam, won't damage ur tranny, but just depends on how u treat ur tranny only... give it some grass to eat, but didn't give it water, sure die lor... the theory is just same...

mostly ppl selling 16b cam with valve spring 1...

deathzone

Jul 9, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Any big diff b16a manual cam and b18c gsr cam? I saw marketplace got 1 forumer wanna trade his b18c with b16a cam with top up. B16b/b18cr cam is over my budget.

Bump: Any big diff b16a manual cam and b18c gsr cam? I saw marketplace got 1 forumer wanna trade his b18c with b16a cam with top up. B16b/b18cr cam is over my budget.

traize

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2006
bolt on 1 turbo kit, low or high end no prob, my fren did this now he very happy

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
If you want extreme,

Call hasport, buy V6 mounts
Then Buy the New Acura Engine 3.7L
Sumbat masuk..

Wah!!

pencalat

500 RPM
Nov 20, 2006
JB
By changing to 2.3inch i can only feel more powerful when vtec engage till redline but when normal driving(below3k rpm) the car feel so heavy.

THEN TRY TO GET FOR 2INCH BRO WITH TABUNG TENGAH... SURE CUN PUNYA...

Anyway i already bought a pair of b16a manual cam and vafc.
IT'S OK.

Is it worth to upgrade to adjustable cam pulley and lighten crank with my current setup?
WITH THIS SETUP, I'M SURE THE COST ABOUT RM1K++

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi to all,

Want to check if there's any recommended clutch for evo3?

Is it a norm for the stock clutch to slip when doing drag racing?

Thanks in advance... I wld say that mine is less than 330bhp...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience