How long to idle after coldstart ?

TermiziYeoh

1,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2005
Cheras , Sel
Guys, how long usually u guys leave your car to idle after coldstart before u start to drive it ? As u know immediate run after coldstart will harm the engine and shorten engine life. Read in the book before,let the car idle for a minute or two, then drive it slowly after few km then only can drive it to desire speed. Any comment ?

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
How long ahh... Mine never do any warm up, but drive around 20-30km/h for few minutes and till the radiator temp go to normal condition ~45-50% then only go fast at 120km/h.

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Forgot to add another point, if warm inside the house, all the unburnt petro will go to our house and is very smelly. And the unburnt petrol will cause cancer because of its Benzene content.

Kyoichi(Emperor)

Known Member
Nov 7, 2005
aiyo, i usually just drive away without letting it to warm up.....sei lo sei lo.....:shocked:

Cheers!!!!!

bOnk

Known Member
Feb 17, 2006
don really know how long but i let it idle from 1500 rpm till it drop to 700-800 rpm.
then watch temp till it goes around 80-90 C.
after that, tekaanlahh..

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
I think this topic has been discussed b4 tat day i stumble on some old threads dunno where is it ... some say that idle first better, some say best is driver straight away... dunno la.

i normally drive away once i start, don't on aircond until the auto-choke is back to normal RPM then if i wanna on aircond only i'll on ...

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
dont need to warm up cuz when u crank the engine upon ignition,oils are circulating edi...OR you can just leave it idling for 1-2mins...sakit hati enuf to leave it idle n waste petrol ler...

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
I normally leave my car to idle for 5 mins!
However, I've read from the book that we can drive our car straight away after starting the engine with the speed of 20-30 km/h till the tempt reach 80-90C.

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
dunno whther true or not, heard from someone before....but come to think logically it sounds okie:

when u left the engine long, the engine oil and water would subside. So after u crank your engine, all the parts would go into motion. You got to let it for a few minutes to get the engine oils to relubricate the parts and also the water to flow smoothly.

That is why my timing rely on my tappet sound. When the tappet sound goes smoother and close to no sound, that's when I go (meaning enough lubrication). Also depends on whether or not rushing, if rushing for time; than f*ck the idling.
Problem now is after I used Q8, there's no more tappet sound.............but I still wait, usually finish 1 ciggie.

deftons

Known Member
Feb 13, 2004
Visit site
hmmm..wat i will do is to let it idle until the temperature goes back to normal level..then only speed off

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
some car might auto warm up engine such like rev around rpm1300 then when reach the working temp will drop to normal idling 800rpm,its take about 2 minute,i always do this,becoz the engine oil viscosity will change due to temperature change,tats why if didnt warm up n go,its will cause more engine wear off

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
then its dependant on what oils ur using edi....then very subjective and goes according to car makes n models edi...you think Q8 oils no mo tappet sound..? try 'endless'...much much much smoother than Q8...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear All,

As per topic,im a newbie in the car modding section.Im totally confused on the proton 1.8 DOHC engine series as in to the performance.Ive spoken to a few ppl(including mechanics) n they all claim that the 1997 manufactured ones are more powerful,no matter putra or wira c99 than the others....but when i look at it at a glance it all seems to look n have the same items....all in all im comparin the wira1.8,putra and the Gti.....all same looking engine bay...so whats the diff when...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience