Good performing automatic sedan that you can drive everyday.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My Lancer is running good, i need to slowly retire it from daily commuting because i couldn't expect the Invecs III CVT gearbox can last another 5 years. Swapping for another CVT gearbox is going to cost me another 3-4k, not to mention in future years, how many CVTs are laying around in the junkyard is yet another question. Furthermore, how well are the CVT gearboxes is another big question. It clocked at 190k kms this morning, engine is silky smooth, quiet and rev happy, it's the gearbox i have more concerns, even though it shows no symptoms of failing. FYI, my lancer was the first batch CBU lancer, dated 2008 April.

I only did the suspension, front 4 Pots caliper, for the rest of it, STOCK :biggrin:. Mana consider modify :biggrin:. I didn't even mod my exhaust systems hahaha.
So sell off the Lancer then, is that your intention? Or you just want to keep adding cars? I see no point of keeping it actually if you really buy another AT sedan.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
So sell off the Lancer then, is that your intention? Or you just want to keep adding cars? I see no point of keeping it actually if you really buy another AT sedan.
This^^

Actually, to prolong the CVT, just add an ATF cooler. It will work well. And flush the CVT oil & put in fresh one.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I have no intention of selling, will park it at my dad's house and occasionally go back to drive it a while. I'm retiring it from duty, not selling it.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
This^^

Actually, to prolong the CVT, just add an ATF cooler. It will work well. And flush the CVT oil & put in fresh one.
That's what i did when it comes to fluid change for CVT, i poured in exactly 4.2 litres as per factory suggested. I did add on a CVT fluid cooler, i am considering should i add another one because the heat in Malaysia is getting crazier. I consulted my mechanic regarding this and he said its doable, just needed more CVT fluid in future.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Mark X with body kit and some make up won't be uncle car anymore... hehehehe...
I always saw a blazing red mark x with heavy black tinted and fully body kit and it's look awesome.
Yeah that's what I said, the look can be transformed quite remarkably for this car with so many options too! But hey, obviously we both like it enough to own it, so cannot speak for other people who would have different taste. :biggrin: If leave it standard as it is I agree though it looks like uncle car, just like Camry (but I don't really mind too coz I'm indeed an uncle already leh!). IS250 in original shape certainly look more suitable for young people.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yeah that's what I said, the look can be transformed quite remarkably for this car with so many options too! But hey, obviously we both like it enough to own it, so cannot speak for other people who would have different taste. :biggrin: If leave it standard as it is I agree though it looks like uncle car, just like Camry (but I don't really mind too coz I'm indeed an uncle already leh!). IS250 in original shape certainly look more suitable for young people.
Hahaha i do fancy Mark X, but Mark X is bit too gentle for my looks :P :rofl:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That's what i did when it comes to fluid change for CVT, i poured in exactly 4.2 litres as per factory suggested. I did add on a CVT fluid cooler, i am considering should i add another one because the heat in Malaysia is getting crazier. I consulted my mechanic regarding this and he said its doable, just needed more CVT fluid in future.
Do you need another cooler? The fluid also need some heat to work not cold, or maybe fit a bigger cooler rather than another....:hmmmm:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Do you need another cooler? The fluid also need some heat to work not cold, or maybe fit a bigger cooler rather than another....:hmmmm:
That's what got me thinking too. I consulted my mechanic, his theory is 2 small coolers is better than 1 large cooler.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
My Lancer is running good, i need to slowly retire it from daily commuting because i couldn't expect the Invecs III CVT gearbox can last another 5 years. Swapping for another CVT gearbox is going to cost me another 3-4k, not to mention in future years, how many CVTs are laying around in the junkyard is yet another question. Furthermore, how well are the CVT gearboxes is another big question. It clocked at 190k kms this morning, engine is silky smooth, quiet and rev happy, it's the gearbox i have more concerns, even though it shows no symptoms of failing. FYI, my lancer was the first batch CBU lancer, dated 2008 April.

I only did the suspension, front 4 Pots caliper, for the rest of it, STOCK :biggrin:. Mana consider modify :biggrin:. I didn't even mod my exhaust systems hahaha.
To be honest, you need not to worry much about finding CVT lying around in junkyard. Assuming in the future, you will have better income and career than now, you can straight away source for a new unit of the Invecs III CVT gearbox. Since Proton has rebadged the Lancer into Inspira, perhaps you can get the gearbox through Proton.

Suspension you changed the whole thing or just certain parts? 4 pot brakes is also considered as mod. Maybe you are using Brembo or Endless 4 pot, I don't know, haha. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That's what got me thinking too. I consulted my mechanic, his theory is 2 small coolers is better than 1 large cooler.
You must think of the mounting location and also the hoses, whether the flow is smooth or not and with two coolers circulation time also longer. Probably pump also need to work harder....:hmmmm:

duhill

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
Buy a Myvi (or anything practical) for daily use and buy the Evo u always dream off. What's the point of having a dream and not achieving it?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So... Evo thread part 2 eh? I'm away 1 day and it's already garnered 3 pages :biggrin:

I'm sorry but I have to say this : Your mech is an idiot.

having two coolers in series is pointless. There is only so much surface area these small coolers have and that means there's only so much it can cool. And introducing another cooler there means more plumbing and therefore more places for it to fail. Also, it's likely you're increasing the amount of oil pressure needed to pump the oil through those coolers.

And if you think about it, say the oil is cooled down a few degrees by cooler #1, it's now being pumped into cooler #2 which is probably the same size and design, depending on how your plumbing is done, you'll slow down the flow of the oil and it might reduce the oil temp a little more but why would you want to slow down the flow?

You're better off with one efficient and larger cooler than 2 smaller ones. And use better ATF. Some good ATFs can survive a thrashing at Sepang and still be in pretty good shape after that. Like the Diaqueen series from Mitsu themselves.

1.) 2009 Audi A4 (B8) 1.8 TFSI - RM95000 - RM115000.
2.) 2010 Alfa Romeo 2.2 JTS - RM90000
3.) 2012 Lexus IS250 - RM105000
4.) 2008 Subaru Legacy GT -RM77000 (low mileage)
5.) 2010 Mazda 6 2.5 - RM75000
#1 - Whilst it's a nice drive, it's not so nice to maintain. A car of that age would mean it's starting to have big bills.

#2 - Nice car, but finicky. Need a lot of attention.

#3 - Bloody nice car, just that rear seats kinda small. If you're complaining about the 323i, this would be just as if not smaller. Otherwise it's a good buy.

#4 - Nice car. Boxer. Subaru. Lots of PNP WRX / Impreza parts. Closest thing to Evo in this list.

#5 - I dunno why this car is in the list. Again, it's 6 years old, it's almost due for a lot of major repairs. Check mileage before buying this tank of a car. Very comfy very easy to drive, just very large. But if you have a Lancer, you don't need a Mazda 6.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
To be honest, you need not to worry much about finding CVT lying around in junkyard. Assuming in the future, you will have better income and career than now, you can straight away source for a new unit of the Invecs III CVT gearbox. Since Proton has rebadged the Lancer into Inspira, perhaps you can get the gearbox through Proton.

Suspension you changed the whole thing or just certain parts? 4 pot brakes is also considered as mod. Maybe you are using Brembo or Endless 4 pot, I don't know, haha. :biggrin:
Well if i am keeping the car long enough, i would want to transplant ralliart 4B11T and the SST gearbox. But the concern is, how to make the SST as FWD instead AWD. Well if really need the real differential in order to transplant SST guess i have no choice to transplant the whole thing, including the ACD. To be honest, i want the car stay FWD while having SST and 4B11T. Don't know is it achievable or not.

For my LGT, i changed to 16 steps hi-lo GAB SE, not the best suspension but it does the job great, bumpy on certain roads. So far all the passengers i fetched couldn't tell the difference yet. Hahaha i'm using Sumitomo 4 pots from Silvia S15. Fabricated the bracket. In future if got budget, i am going for Evo X knuckle and front brembo 4 pots, not need bracket as it will be much safer.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
You must think of the mounting location and also the hoses, whether the flow is smooth or not and with two coolers circulation time also longer. Probably pump also need to work harder....:hmmmm:
Yes you have educated me once again. Thank you ! Perhaps i will just uprated the CVT cooler again, its' now using CVT cooler from 2.4 Lancer sportback.

Buy a Myvi (or anything practical) for daily use and buy the Evo u always dream off. What's the point of having a dream and not achieving it?
I have a practical car in use now, and its much better than Myvi, would i downgrade when i can upgrade? Evo dream can slowly achieve, even how bad i want it, currently there are too few units in the market. For the past 3 months i already test drove 3 units of E8, 1 E9 and 1 E7. I'm stopping the search for the moment in order for my financial strength to be stronger, focus on my job and weekend workouts now. After calculations from many bros in ZTH, suggested that i could afford the car but maintenance wise, its still another challenge.

So... Evo thread part 2 eh? I'm away 1 day and it's already garnered 3 pages :biggrin:

I'm sorry but I have to say this : Your mech is an idiot.

having two coolers in series is pointless. There is only so much surface area these small coolers have and that means there's only so much it can cool. And introducing another cooler there means more plumbing and therefore more places for it to fail. Also, it's likely you're increasing the amount of oil pressure needed to pump the oil through those coolers.

And if you think about it, say the oil is cooled down a few degrees by cooler #1, it's now being pumped into cooler #2 which is probably the same size and design, depending on how your plumbing is done, you'll slow down the flow of the oil and it might reduce the oil temp a little more but why would you want to slow down the flow?

You're better off with one efficient and larger cooler than 2 smaller ones. And use better ATF. Some good ATFs can survive a thrashing at Sepang and still be in pretty good shape after that. Like the Diaqueen series from Mitsu themselves.

#1 - Whilst it's a nice drive, it's not so nice to maintain. A car of that age would mean it's starting to have big bills.

#2 - Nice car, but finicky. Need a lot of attention.

#3 - Bloody nice car, just that rear seats kinda small. If you're complaining about the 323i, this would be just as if not smaller. Otherwise it's a good buy.

#4 - Nice car. Boxer. Subaru. Lots of PNP WRX / Impreza parts. Closest thing to Evo in this list.

#5 - I dunno why this car is in the list. Again, it's 6 years old, it's almost due for a lot of major repairs. Check mileage before buying this tank of a car. Very comfy very easy to drive, just very large. But if you have a Lancer, you don't need a Mazda 6.
Well he might have his theory, i will consult more people regarding the CVT cooler thingy. But i think he did tell me about the pressure thingy and said he could do something about it. I couldn't recall every words he said but basically he said he could mod it. :hmmmm:

I liked your analysis from the 5 choices. As for Mazda 6, its from previous gen, to me this design looks better than the current one. Small from outlook but big inside, pretty much a closer counterpart to my lancer. So far i heard lots of good stuffs of this Mazda 6 more than bad things so decided to enlist it. Test the Subaru, front cabin is too small, my shoulder almost touch the door panel when sat it (i have very wide shoulders). Its a great car to drive but too bad its too small.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

places that sell starters doesnt seem to have instalation included.. can someone help me with how to fix a starter or replacing my old starter into my car? my engine is 4g13p.. Im driving a saga... thank you very much..

if you dunno where to start.. can you guys tell me where is the starter for a saga located.. thank you..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience